Athiesm, Punishment and Killing

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Mar 16, 2008.

?

Is killing justified under some circumstances?

1. I am an atheist and I say YES

52.6%
  2. I am an atheist and I say NO

5.3%
  3. I am a theist and I say YES

31.6%
  4. I am a theist and I say NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am an atheist and I have some other opinion

10.5%
  6. I am a theist and I I have some other opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Seems unlikely, at least on a percentage basis - which would be the relevant one. Large scale atrocities by even nominal atheists are a fairly recent phenomenon, in general.
    Of course one can promote godlessness - of many kinds. But atheism is not a belief system, it is a property of a belief system - many quite different belief systems are atheistic.
    Not all. But it's a recurrent theme. The exceptions - such as the modern US - are worth studying.
    They don't usually say.
    I know they were raised in strongly, fundamentally, theistic homes for the most part.
    Looks to have been the same as others have had before them - mostly theists, if that makes any difference to you.
    The theistic Germans at the time killed a lot of people for belonging to the wrong theism. That has been a common justification, over the years - but whether it truly describes a motive or not, I suspend judgment.
    Quite a few believed in the superiority of a godless society, and Stalin was set apart from them as well. Apparently that isn't the discriminating factor.

His desire to promote atheism ? He sure didn't like them atheist religions (except Communism) - seems odd he would have turned down the opportunity to spread the faith easily and quickly.

Unles his desires didn't have much to do with atheism.

Are you sure Stalin was atheistic, personally ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

1) The USA military should not stick its nose into anyones religious superstitious crap.

2) At the end of World War II Hirohito went on a tour of Japan (this was the first time 99% of the Japanese saw their Emperor) as he stood next to MacArthur (who absolutely dwarfed Hirohito by over a foot - MacArthur was 6 foot 5 inches) and at this time it is recognized that most Japanese gave up their beleif in the Emperors divinity because (a) they lost the war and (b) the man looked pretty un-Godlike next to the images they had in their mind during the war. Hirohito did deliver a very inspiring speech where he asked the Japanese people to lift the unliftable and carry the uncarriable burden. And they did and now they are rich.

3) You don't seem to get that Americans didn't push for the demilitarization of the Shinto religion - the Shinto Japanese did themselves. Separating it from the State (of which was less the 100 years) they thought was the best thing for Japan. It probably was. Either way, to be clear, see #1 for my opinion on the USA and religion.

4) As for dismantling the Japanese zaibatsu - do you honestly think that this went against the wishes of the Japanese people? In essence this divided up the land amongst the Japanese people. Which was under the terms of surrender on the advice of the Japanese who wanted Japanese people to have land. They only have these islands with 3 small plains. THOSE Japanese thought it was a good idea to give land to the Citizens of Japan. MacArthur agreed and *big surprise* so did the 99 million Japanese who received land.

Now, I am 100% sure you would agree if the USA were to coerce the Japanese to become Xians that this would be WRONG. Suppose they installed a government of Americans that was ran by Americans and then taxed all Japaneses (who at this time barely had enough rice to EAT, a rice-tax unless they converted to Christianity. Oh, and also restricted those Japanese who did not convert to become Xian from serving in their own government - I think you would agree that this would be evil. Oooo wait, replace the word Xian with Muslim and Japanese with Persian and it's all good. Then we'll rewrite history (there were no nukes just sweets and candys and lollys). Yup all good. Everyone knows Islam is the only true beleif in the world (although no one seems to agree what that is - - other than there's one God and some Arab said something he heard in his head from said sky-daddy).

Yup, those backwards Shinto polytheists would be much better off living as Muslims, like the Pakistani, Iraqi, Afghani, Arabs, Indonesians, Malaysians .. you know the pinnicals of human development and model society *puffs on joint rolled in Afghan grown Qu'ranic-entanglement*

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are you kidding? The most imperialistic and proud people in the region wanted to get rid of their armed forces and destroy the religion that had defined their identity for thousands of years?

They wanted to dismantle the economy?

Well I guess if you say so it must be true.

Strange that they resisted both so strongly then.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

A) See #1 from post 142

B) Do you think that the American Military had a deep understanding of Japanese Shintoism or Economic structure? Jesus, just look at Iraq and you can get an idea of the depth of the Military's grasp of the local superstitution and economy.

C) Again see #1 from post 142 if you are in any way confused as to my standing regarding the USA's involvement in local suprestitoin. If the USA does anything other than what I post in #1 of 142 then you know my standing on it.

So if Americans overreached I am completely and 100% against it - and I will state here and now that IMO they were wrong in even thinking of doing such a thing.

Wouldn't you agree SAM? An invading army has absolutely NO RIGHT AT ALL to interfere or change or coerce or dismantle or condemn or degrade or abolish the religious beleif of those people whose land they have invaded?
    Do you agree that any such action would be morally repugnant and evil?
    yes or no?

D) RE: Zaibatsu that's absolutely true. The idea was that the Japanese invaded and slaughtered Chinese and Koreans because they didn't have enough land and needed to expand. The Japanese themselves said this was why they invaded various lands. Also, I don't think its a fair reach to suggest that the European colonization of everywhere seriously prompted the Japanese to consider forming a wall of colonies to protect the main islands.

Interestingly, the Americans of that period not only wanted the Zaibatsu reinstated but also wanted the Japanese to do more than that - they wanted them to re-militarize and fight. If you recall MacArthur wanted to start dropping nukes (maybe 4 to begin with) on China. Obviously the Japanese said no. Hmmmm almost suggests that the Japanese ruling Japan at this time were at least partly responsible for many of the "concessions" made in WWII. I mean, after all, now was their big chance... right? Gee I wonder why they didn't' take it? Why didn't they change their constitution and rearm?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why don't you look it up and tell me?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

You missed a question:
    An invading army has absolutely NO RIGHT AT ALL to interfere or change or coerce or dismantle or condemn or degrade or abolish the religious beleif of those people whose land they have invaded?
    Do you agree that any such action would be morally repugnant and evil?
    yes or no?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Absolutely, though I think opposing any conversion to their own beliefs for almost a hundred years is also extreme.