Atheists turn back to God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No,

Theist: God exists
    Atheist: How so ? Proof it.
    Theist: Uhm i cant, please help me out. How do i evidence something ?
    Atheist: Shrugs and walks away..

And why should it be my problem ? Im not the one claiming something extraordinairy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. VitalOne Banned Banned

No, theists say they believe God exists...it's unverifiable, so naturally since there's no way to gather evidence there will be no evidence...just as with the many-worlds interpretation or copenhagen interpretation and many other theories in science....

Atheists make the most extraordinary claim...some how they know God doesn't exist because it's unverifiable and there's no evidence...at least theists admit it's a belief and requires faith...atheists just can't handle that atheism requires faith

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Here we go...
    Have i ever said that God doesnt exist ? I think its extremely unlikely that he exists, precisely because there is no shred of evidence. Also, common knowledge nor nature can explain God. It is extraordinairy to assert God exists.

So are you saying theists dont know wether God exists or not ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. VitalOne Banned Banned

Argument from ignorance...also how can there evidence for something unverifiable? This is the number 1 atheistic tactic...

It's extraordinary to claim God does or doesn't exist...if it's unverifiable then it means that there's no way to know if it's actually true or false...

No...some theists may know others may not know....but I personally know with 100% certainty...

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's a start.

So, when are you going to 'turn on' your god that we may start seeing some evidence there?

Anything? :shrug:

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Snakelord
    I would have thought that a person making the claim "ther eis no evidence for god" would have nutted that one out ...
    I see

I guess its just a coincidence that well over 50% of all philosophers (the type one is likely to encounter in libraries, as opposed to chat forums) attest to the existence of something transcendental or spiritual
    so he ambiguously mentioned vampires huh?
    given that you pulled it from wiki, I guess an intelligent person would also weigh this up against what the rest of the article states - but coming from a guy who regards circumcision as essential to judaism, its understandable why you think you have something substantial ...
    congratulations

now you just have to uncover the philosophical premises behind such incidents/narrations (which will require something more than wiki searching), since most of the things you mention have nothing to do with vampires

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

god's on already

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Emnos
    Correction : YOU claim I have no evidence

you even said it again a few posts down

Here we go...
    Have i ever said that God doesnt exist ? I think its extremely unlikely that he exists, precisely because there is no shred of evidence.

Therefore the first step is for you to establish how something is evidenced - otherwise its kind of like pushing elephant poop up a hill
    kind of difficult when you cannot even provide a framework for establishing how evidence is presented don't you think?
    assuming that you don't have a problem with making incoherent statements, I guess so
    :shrug:

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What tactic !? I am NOT saying God doesnt exist. I am saying that it is extremely unlikely given the fact that there is no evidence whatsoever and the fact that God is unsupported by nature or common sense.
    I am not trying to convert you or anything, i am not deploying any tactics. Im just telling you what i think about the matter.

Exactly. Its extraordinary to claim that God exists and its also extraordinairy to claim that God doesnt exist. We agree on this.

You cant KNOW, you just said it yourself.. :bugeye:

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I was concluding that you had no evidence because you cant (or wont) give it. If you do have evidence show it to me.

No, you *** !
    The burden of proof is on you, why should i need to establish how something is evidenced !??
    You need to establish how you evidence something and then evidence it.
    You are seriously *** up !

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Dont expect me back until you produce some evidence.

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

The burden of proof falls upon those who have something to prove.
    Those who deny the existence of something don't have to prove anything, because you cannot prove a negative, and due to the fact that absence of evidence is indeed evidence of absence.

Thus, the burden fall on those who make positive claims.

16. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

I'm sure a Google search would give you some atheist turned theists. I know Lee Strobel, journalist, claims that he was atheist first, and that he was saddened when his wife converted...and when he started searching, he claims he has enough "evidence" to make a personal decision to believe.

I believe him, but his evidence is flawed....not saying it's not the truth though...

17. VitalOne Banned Banned

Hold on for a second...AHAHAHA

Let me get this straight, something is unverifiable so naturally there is no evidence, so that means it's unlikely to exist because you can't verify if it's exists or not? That's like someone saying in the 1700s since it was unverifiable if electromagnetism existed that meant it was unlikely that it did...ahahahahaha

Common sense? Argument from personal incredulity...

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Wow, you forgot how to read:

No evidence, not unverifiable.
    If someone had looked for electromagnetism they'd have found evidence.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Emnos
    no

I asked you do you propose to determine that something is evidenced (and I gave you the eg of how would you propose that there is evidence for an electron)
    and until you can provide a framework on how something is or is not evidenced, how do you propose I present it to you?

well, you did say that there is no evidence for god, so its assumed that you work out of a frame work that enables evidence of some sort (unless you have an absurd notion that there is no evidence for anything)

and the first logical step would be to establish how something is or is not evidence

(maybe evidence is strong if the person making a claim can throw around a lot of bad language)

but anyway, back to intelligent discourselets get the ball rolling

Emnos is there evidence for electrons?

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Since Emnos made the claim that there is no evidence for god I guess its up to him to elaborate on how he arrived at this conclusion

21. VitalOne Banned Banned

ahahaha...I think you should learn to read, I addressed him saying it's unlikely that God exists.....therefore I used the electromagnetism comparison to show that you can't measure the likelihood of an unverifiable claim being true...

Also, if people were unable to measure if electromagnetism existed then it would remain unverifiable...just as with God being unverifiable...if you say that God is not unverifiable then tell me what experiment or measure can test if God actually exists or not...if you can't tell me then it means you agree that the existence of God is unverifiable...

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Keep going: Enmos stated there's no evidence for god.
    Different from unverifiable.
    Electromagnetism is a strawman, and a poor one: if they'd thought to look they'd have found evidence.
    Where's the evidence for god?
    People have been looking for ages.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

never encountered a normative description in scripture?