Atheism is a belief.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tht1Gy!, Nov 3, 2007.

?

I know how to use a dictionary.

1. Yes, and I incorporate its info.

57.1%
  2. Yes, but I still like to make up definitions as I go along.

20.4%
  3. No, I believe in "Truthiness"

34.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. phlogistician Banned Banned

I don't have one. Why would I?

I just don't believe what other people have told be about their god. I do not have a definition of my own, how would I arrive at one?

If you have a definition, run that past me, and I'll tell you what I think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

I have no knowledge of god. I have rumour, and 3rd party claims, but no knowledge.

There are so man things to believe, so many deities, so this point is clearly wrong.

No, I came to atheism through investigation, not ignorance. I just posed a few questions to those trying to sell me God, to which I have never had a satisfactory answer, so I don't believe what they were selling me.

No it doesn't, that's absurd, if there was 'knowledge' there's be no faith! I guess being a believer, you are incapable of understanding those that lack belief. I guess you need something we don't, and can't understand our independence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

You therefore possess concepts of gods. Concepts which were presented to you, they were proposed. Concepts which you reject - i.e. you lack belief in the veracity of the concepts or you disbelieve the veracity of the concepts. Same as saying you believe the concepts are no true to reality.
    But you have unwittingly proven the point. They are all proposed, so you have formed a concept of them, such that you can fit them neatly into the phrase "so many deities." What you lack belief in is something that you have no concept of. In other words, the only thing you lack belief in is something you don't know about, some concept you've never been exposed to.
    There you go again, proving the point. You are not in a null position, you have rejected what you're being sold. You believe it is not a good product. The only way you can be in a null position is to claim ignorance.
    I for one fully understand the "independence," but I think a better applicable term is 'detachment.'

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Not in any great degree. I am aware of the major claims people make, but I do not have a complete idea. There are too many contradictory claims for me to have a clear picture.

Are you such an arrogant prig you dare tell me what I know? I do not have a concept of God. I have been told a lot of contradictory things, none of which adds up to a coherent concept. I do not have a personal concept of someone else's god, and for you to assert so is utterly ludicrous!

Here we agree, but then you lose the subtlety;

No. Here's where you lose it. I can lack faith in something I have heard about, but it doesn't stretch to believing it doesn't exist, it's just that I don't have faith that it does. It's subtle, but there you have it.

No, clearly you just can't get your head around this, and can't understand the mindset of an atheist. It's just your lack of empathy, I guess.

8. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

em, how about the science of linguistics. More specifically, ENGLISH!

What utter egotistical lunacy. I asked some questions that I didn't get an answer to, to my humble satisfaction I might add, so that means I investigated further and came to a logical conclusion. ROTFLMAO!

If you had one shred of unbiased opinion you would KNOW that anything that incorporates the suffix "ism" is an action that, to in effect execute, REQUIRES BELIEF.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

No, clearly you are just incapable of getting your mind inside that of an atheist.

I don't wake up each day and think how much I don't believe in God, you see, so I know you are wrong. You cannot know what I think, so cannot prove me wrong!

10. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

LOL! You are too much. More of the good ol' boy mentality eh?

11. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Reading further of your posts, it is clear that my question is being discussed. The only problem I have with your definition of "atheism" is that it incorporates a word that you will not define for yourself.

It is strange that you have a definition for yourself for something you don't acknowledge.

I would be more comfortable with your stance if you stated that you only incoporated things in your life, or lifeview, that could be somehow scientifically proven, or by whatever means are "proof" for you. Otherwise, you will cause much confusion for theists, I believe.

Though it is presumptious of me to assume I could tell another how to present their "stance", so my apologies.

12. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Straaaaaaaaaaange ainit?!

13. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

O.k. we'll agree to disagree, but my opinion is that a lack of faith fosters disbelief - i.e. the negative of belief (to "not believe").
    Actually, I completely understand your reasoning, but I simply disagree with it. I think it is just an attempt to escape the label "faithful" regarding a negative belief.

14. Balerion Banned Banned

Obviously you just don't get it. You can not believe in something and not have to say "I believe this doesn't exist". Why is it so hard to comprehend for you? Just look...

I don't believe in God.

I believe God does not exist.

Those two statements are not inherently the same. The first statement could come from a person raised by wolves that has never heard of your god before, or it could come from me, who has never had any reason to believe. I do not, however, have any reason to say that a god does not exist, because I obviously don't know.

I know you enjoy believing you can pigeonhole atheists into the same kind of mindless belief that you employ, but it just doesn't work that way. It's not our fault you can't wrap your head around this concept.

15. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

And this is EXACTLY where you are dead wrong. This has NOTHING to do with philosophy, whose right/wrong, varied IQ, whose primitive or advanced, who prefers TV diners to fine restaurant ordered Filet mignon, or whatever. Belief is a key ingrediant in basic cognitive mechanics. You CANNOT "not believe". That is utterly and completely IMPOSSIBLE. What part of that don't you understand? You may hold something in disbelief. But you still must believe that to be the correct choice or logical conclusion to disbelieve whatever you are considering. If you consider yourself a rational human being, ANY accepted view, whether provable or not, MUST BE BELIEVED. That or you don't have a mind with which to think.

It has NOTHING to do with Faith, NOTHING to do with the concept of God & NOTHING to do with Ethics. It is just the way the mind works.

Belief merely equates to your rational choice.

16. Balerion Banned Banned

Says who? I do not believe in God, but I can't say I don't believe there is a creator. So I guess I'm just a freak of nature...?

Apparently you have no idea how the mind works. I mean, that's all I can assume after reading your post. What you do is you take your situation--the fact that you have faith--and you put your attributes on the population. You assume that because you have faith, that the only other alternative to the faith you have is to "have faith" that you're wrong about God. This isn't true. Like I said, I don't believe, but that does not mean I know one way or the other that even your God isn't real. Because I make no assertion either way, I lack belief, rather than believe your God is or isn't real.

I know you can't seem to comprehend this, but your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Wrong. There is no rationale involved in faith. That's why it is called a "leap of faith"; you must sacrifice your rationality for the sake of salvation. You will believe God is real no matter what I say to you, and yet if there was some form of evidence for God's existence offered, I would have to believe. That is what separates the believer from the person like me, who simply lacks the faith.

17. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

Listen, you are completely missing the point. You are just in denial which is typical of youth I guess. This has ZERO to do with religion or "faith". It's you that doesn't have a clue how the mind works.

The way you are expressing yourself here, you "believe" that faith equals belief. That's the dumbest thing I have read today. Whether you know something, or you just imagine it to be the most likely of possibilities, is no determining factor as to whether you are exercising belief.

Dude, you have nothing here that you have put forward to comprehend. You don't know what you are talking about. Just spare me the time and effort and look of the word "believe". K?

I can only HOPE that clarifies the issue. If not, seek help.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

You did not respond to my post 1071 in response to your earlier one.

We have common usage, many philosophers, theologians, dictionaries opposing your view. Why should I take you as an expert? What is the authority you think you command to say that people are using the word wrong?

1) Let's take your etymology as correct - which it is not. Without faith. Both the person who lacks a belief in God AND the person who believes there is no God are without faith. So your own etymology does not back up your disagreement with me. There is no reason not to include both kinds of atheist under atheism.

2) It actually means without belief (in God), which also covers both strong and weak atheists.

3) You claimed elsewhere that it was a recent trend started by fundies. Back this up. This belief on your part is not supported by the OED. The reason I went to the library to look at the full edition OED is that it looks at usage over time. It does not support your belief, in fact it directly contradicts it.

4) Atheists do not own the word, neither group of them. If you actually investigate the etymology you will find that originally it was used in greek as an insulting term and is not something one would call themselves. This carries up into the 18th century in Europe. IOW it was a term used to insult others and not a term one used to describe oneself. It is not as if atheists came up with the term and now it has been twisted by fundies. Again, you have no authority to say what the word 'really' means. Further the word has a long history where it covered both strong and weak atheism.

There are some atheists who want the term atheism to simply mean a lack of belief. But these people, including yourself, have no special authority. And your authority is undermined further by making claims like it was fundies who made the word mean other things. This is simply incorrect.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  19. Balerion Banned Banned

Typical of youth? So is this what you do when you are on the short end of a debate? You simply make thinly-veiled insults? Nice. Why don't you show me how I'm wrong?

So according to your logic, I can have faith in God and yet not believe he exists.

That's all I have to say about your little theory.

Why did you bother responding if you didn't plan on offering anything of substance? All you've said so far that wasn't an insult was that "faith does not equal belief", which is completely incorrect.

Boy, that zinger sure sent them home in stitches. You know, all you've done is demonstrate the weakness of your argument, right?

20. Balerion Banned Banned

Well, I agree with that, but can't we start a movement, or something?

I mean, seriously, the definition needs to change. If you believe that god does not exist, then you should be called an, I dunno, anti-theist. But atheism should not imply that a person believes in anything.

21. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

Was I wrong about you being young? Incidentally, that youth gives you a GREAT advantage over myself.

"Substance" as you put it, is not some common commodity that is offered for free like a cheap commercial lure. Substance is something that is up to those with the mental facilities required to contain and appreciate said substance based on their abilities to comprehend real knowledge. Knowledge is never free. Knowledge however, because of it's great value does afford one understanding. So, lets proceed and see whether your great powers of reason and rationale will prove you substantive or not with respect to your understanding of "belief". You have already rejected my attempt to share the most basic of understandings with you via the dictionary. Maybe you prefer word problems.

It's fun talking to those that you recognize as being led by their ego instead of their intellect. OK, lets start with your definition of that which constitutes rational thinking minus belief.

Provide me insight to the following statement with either "correct" or "incorrect"

There is no God or Gods.

Indulge me this please. I don't believe you will be sorry.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Cognitive mechanics. Ah. He was taught something so it must be true.

23. Balerion Banned Banned

I'm 27, so I guess I'm right on the borderline...

OK, thanks for the lecture. Doesn't forward your position in any way, but thanks all the same.

How so? Simply put, your position is that faith does not equate to belief, but on the other hand you must believe in something in order to have an opinion on it; ie your position that if I say I do not believe in God, I must believe that there is no God.

I would love to indulge you on this, but I have no idea if there is a God or Gods. So I can't answer.