Atheism & Intelligence

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by garbonzo, May 21, 2013.

1. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

No, atheism is the lack of belief in God. Anti-theism is the opposition to theism or religion. The two are not the same.

How so?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

there is no such thing as a "strong" or "weak" atheist.
    you either take the "no god" stance or you are an agnostic, which simply means the question cannot be answered.
    agnostic atheists?
    belief is a powerful thing, the placebo effect is proof of it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IncogNegro Banned Banned

There are two ways of thought which are easily confused... For Ourselves and for Society. Those confused themselves often suffer the outlook of society not by misinterpretation of society but by misinterpretation of themselves. They feel society has a grasp on them so they seek to grasp society.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

You are stating a conclusion before the fact.

Only when operating irrationally.

Logic dictates what constitutes evidence, what it shows, whether it is authentic, and what facts it does or does not support.

Among the differences I already listed, atheists know that the religious claim that atheism and agnosticism have a burden of proving God's inexistence is invalid. They know agnostics need only state that the religious claim to know what is unknowable renders further inquiry into God's existence moot, that the facts and evidence to support agnosticism are sufficient taken prima facie, and that agnosticism therefore trumps religious argument, since further inquiry is rendered moot. Since they are agnostic, atheists know that they are also vindicated of the burden of proving the inexistence of God, although they tend to waive this and advance the argument further, with facts and logic they know will demonstrate the validity of agnosticism and atheism and the defects in the religious matrix of fallacy, some of which are frequently enumerated in the perennial conversations about God, religion and logic. Part of the atheist motivation for engaging this conversation is to disseminate facts and evidence they know religious people omit or ignore in their arguments, and part of their motivation is to counter disinformation the atheists know religious people are disseminating.

8. arauca Banned Banned

What is the fact. Do atheist know or not ?

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

That's what I asked leopold.

I have been explaining what atheists know. In addition to what I said above, atheists know that religious people, for all of their insistence that they are the defenders of a higher ethic, argue from a position that contradicts universal ethics; that they will merely pretend to advocate for ethics, or place limits on or assign targeted purposes to ethics, such as by using it to manipulate or regulate the behavior of others, even if not for material gain but only to perpetuate religion and gain psychological advantage over prospective audiences. Atheists know that religious people are not acting out of a sense of high ethics when they pretend to know the unknowable while rejecting reasonable efforts to acquire knowledge of the knowable, and that they do so in furtherance of the matrix of fallacies used to prop up the religious pretense. Atheists know that the the logic of ethics obligates religious people to know the knowable, within reason, and it is their dismissal and disparagement of key facts and evidence, or else a pretense of not knowing facts and evidence readily available to them, which atheists know contradicts universal ethics, much less the higher ethic religious people ascribe to their religions.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

atheists are not agnostic.
    atheists do the very same thing when they ignore such things as the placebo effect, and consciousness.
    if i remember correctly you refused my evidence from a peer reviewed source because it went against what you BELIEVED.

11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Chicks love bad boys - especially bad chicks, which are the best kind.

12. Username Registered Senior Member

Eh, maybe, but atheist and bad boys are not synonymous.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Username Registered Senior Member

Well anti-theism must apply to strong atheist and not weak atheist. Atheism is by no means a null position.

14. mathman Valued Senior Member

There is a well known principle of science that applies here. "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence." To me there is no evidence for the existence of anything supernatural (such as god(s)), but I can't say for certainty that it doesn't exist. Put me in the camp of agnostic atheist.

15. Username Registered Senior Member

That depends on what you base evidence on. Evidence can be anything. It can be dirt, water, space, light, nuclear fission...

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

but atheists do.
    some would probably scream it from the rooftops.

you are not an atheist because you acknowledge the possibility.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Most atheists acknowledge the remote possibility of a god. They don't know, which makes them agnostics. I'm an agnostic atheist.

18. IncogNegro Banned Banned

and right brained tho you use both well. Or whichever side formulates logic rather than expressions.

19. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Atheism is a superset of agnosticism. It incorporates the knowledge that agnostics have, namely, that they do not know the unknowable, and both groups demonstrate candidness in admitting it. But unlike agnostics, atheists do not end inquiry on satisfaction that the premise is moot. They know its's valid to do so, but they opt instead to also inquire into the matrix of fallacy upon which religious claims are founded and the pretense of claiming to know the unknowable.

As stated above, atheists do inquire into the facts and evidence surrounding religious claims, the pretense in claiming to know the unknowable, and the matrix of fallacy used to prop it up. Atheists do this in light of facts and evidence gleaned from inquiry into science, for example, when the religion claims that the laws of nature can be repealed at will by the deity. Atheists may actually score higher in IQ tests than religious people, the expected outcome of making deeper and broader inquiries into related subjects of an academic nature.

???

Conclusion before the fact.

20. IncogNegro Banned Banned

Pretty much. Live with it or try and live without.

21. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

I'll live without it. You'll have to live with an inability to to communicate.

22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

That's true. Theists have more to be bad about since they have Sky Daddy rules to keep along with the rules that sensible human beings keep.

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member