Atheism in history--developmental factors

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Jul 16, 2002.

?

A useless poll:

1. Stryper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DC Talk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Michael W Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nine Inch Nails

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Marilyn Manson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Fates' Warning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mercyful Fate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Savatage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Floater

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Queens of the Stone Age

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes on atheism in history

I've been pulling together some information on what has become something of an infamous notion in this forum: the greater sense of God.

That is for another day. Pages of notes have to be sorted through and put in order.

However, I did come across the following while leafing through Armstrong's A History of God°
    These few pages hardly present a comprehensive history of the atheist idea, but hopefully can serve as a basis for possible exploration of a more comprehensive history of atheism.
    Of course, this is just taken from one source which is at least secondary if not tertiary. Nonetheless, I find Armstrong generally fair; one can conclude that if a former Catholic nun teaching at a Rabbinical college who is also a member of the Association of Muslim Social Sciences and writes a book on Buddhism ... well, okay, I'll leave the conclusions for others. We can argue miniscule points, I suppose, but I'm more hoping to examine the development of the atheistic idea.

In the meantime, I'll just leave it at that for the time being.

° Armstrong, Karen. A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity & Islam. New York: Knopf, 1994.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit/Hint: Each of the bands in the poll has included in their catalog songs which make reference to God. From there, I'm not particularly picky about what the poll question actually is.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2002