Astrological Sign

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Orleander, Mar 3, 2009.

?

Do you believe in astrology?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2009.
  1. Yes

27.0%
  2. No

73.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

No one can prove anything to anyone unless both parties carry a minimum level of knowledge in the subject being discussed. Just to begin with, read an interview with a scientist on the same subject.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Holistic-Living/2006/06/The-Enchanted-Universe.aspx

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Beleifs dont require knowledge... jus a healhy dose of gullibility wit a dash of ignerence tossed in.!!!

[snip from that site]

"I hope my book opens thoughtful readers to a new dimension of the extraordinary universe we live in, a universe that seems to be informed at all levels by a profound creative intelligence. I believe that we can participate in the evolutionary unfolding of this universe more consciously and fully if we are aware of the correspondences between the planetary movements and our lives. And we can move into a more trusting relationship to life and the cosmos when we recognize the larger patterns of meaning and purpose in which we are embedded."

[end of snip]

No dout that book will sell good... people eat-up that kinda feel-good crap which has no basis in fact... but until 1 of those dumpster-divin "scientists" coms up wit som verifible evidence i ant interested.!!!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

How do you propose this proof to be provided in a manner where you can comprehend when you are completely ignorant of the subject being discussed?

To believe in something, knowledge is not required. But to get some idea about what it is all about, knowledge is essential. And when you pass judgments without any knowledge, you are only being a believer.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by cluelusshusbund
    Beleifs dont require knowledge... jus a healhy dose of gullibility wit a dash of ignerence tossed in.!!!

No dout that book will sell good... people eat-up that kinda feel-good crap which has no basis in fact... but until 1 of those dumpster-divin "scientists" coms up wit som verifible evidence i ant interested.!!!

Well thats perty much a mute pont sinse ther ant no proof to provide... lol.!!!

An its the lack of knowledge that fuels the beleif in Astrology.!!!

Consider this knowledge... thers no veriviable evedence in suport of Astrololgy.!!!

The lack of verifiable evidence killed Astrololgy... its beleivers like you who keep tryin to beat life into a horse thats obvously dead.!!!

BTW---I have a live pet pink elephant livin in my shirt pocket... will you put in the time an effort necesary to gain knowledge about my pet???... or will you be content wit only bein a beleiver.???

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. Bells Staff Member

Why would anyone dispute the fact that you answered "yes"? You admitted it yourself.

I would go with "no".: That would be because I am not superstitious and just don't buy into the whole star sign mumbo jumbo. Kind of like I don't believe in the toothfairy, Santa or the Easter Bunny.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No: EVERYONE here believes in astrology.
    It exists...
    However: do you believe astrology is valid is a different question....

10. Bells Staff Member

Like Santa exists for my children? Certainly.

It is obviously valid for those who believe in it.

And it is only valid to me when someone takes it upon themselves to read my horoscope to me. It is usually at this point that I get a blank and bland look on my face, my eyes glaze over as my mind wanders to the washing that might need to be done, the washing that may need to be put away, whether I need to get a hair cut, wash the car, whether I should give in to temptation and go on a spending spree in the closest bookshop, etc. By the time they have finished reading my horoscope, I have usually decided on doing a lot of things within that hour.. so yes, I guess you could say it is valid in that sense. The local bookstore would certainly agree.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No, it exists the same way a newspaper exists in fact it's IN most newspapers.
    Astrologers exist.

Validity to them maybe, but no validity as a discipline...

12. Bells Staff Member

Certainly they exist. Much like the pop-up's that tell me I've won a million dollars exist. Does not mean what they peddle is valid or real. Do you read your horoscope every day and see if you're going to be happy/sad/meet a mysterious stranger/blah blah? Do know that if you say yes, I will point and laugh at you.

People who believe in it would disagree. There are some people who do not get out of bed without calling up their 1800dialyourastrologer first. To them it is completely valid and scientific. That their $5 per minute message they are receiving is also being sold to countless of other schmucks is beside the point.

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Exactly, I was having a dig at the phrasing of the question.
    I.e. being a pedantic little sod.
    A million dollars?
    Wow, two of us the same forum, what are the chances?

How strange you should say that...
    I don't read horoscopes, or take note when some (generally female for some reason) woo woo reads it out for me.
    Yet people STILL point and laugh at me

They can disagree all they like: it doesn't make it a valid science just because they happen to believe so.

14. Bells Staff Member

Ah Oli.

It is an absolute pleasure to see you back again. I for one have missed you.

I know.

There are many of "us" on the same forum.

If you will excuse me, I need to hang a 'for sale' sign on a bridge.

Awwww.. Maybe it is because you keep telling people you have a cute tush.

I have found the same thing actually. It is usually women who feel the need to read out people's horoscopes. They are usually the same people who feel compelled to tell others of every single detail of the dream they had the night before.

I am not disagreeing with you. There are many things that people do believe in and see as being valid that really does not exist. But that is a topic for the religion forum.

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Why thank you, ma'am.
    I'm flattered I was missed, especially so that it was by your charming self.

Hey, I've got a million dollars due to me.
    I'll buy it.

Not my opinion though: that's straight from the gals AND (not straight) guys at my local...

Oh I like hearing women's dreams, especially when they feature me.
    Unless the chainsaw is involved as well, as so many of them seem to...

Ooh, compliments, sarcasm, wit and biting commentary all in one post.
    Are you sure you're not English?

16. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

No its not. It means you are not knowledgeable enough to comprehend the proof. If you seek the proof, you should be a bit educated in the subject for which you are seeking the proof. Otherwise you are talking about being a believer by watching some act. That's how religions work. Even if anyone try to show proof of astrology to anyone who has no idea about astrology, it would be like trying to explain to a blind man how an elephant looks like. So why don't you teach yourself some basics of astrology. I am not trying to offend you. This is the same series of mistakes everyone makes. Are you sure you want to repeat it all over again without knowing what exactly astrology is all about before seeking proof?

You can start by asking yourself a simple question. How many people on this planet know you exactly as what you are? I mean 100%. You know anyone?

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well thats perty much a mute pont sinse ther ant no proof to provide... lol.!!!

If you have proof of Astrology... show it.!!!

No one i know of.!!!

18. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

Exactly my point. So suppose if I tell you that Person A has so and so behavioral pattern and its same like Person B and the only common ground between them is zodiac, do you really think you can know that for sure? You simply cannot. That's where things get messy. The only person's character I can explain to you would be yours. And you yourself would have not much of idea on details of your behavior in public or among friends on how you project yourself. So I would need a close friend to verify it because you simply don't see yourself. Now your friend will say so and so about you based on his/her perception and you would know the reasons behind those actions if he care to explain in detail. But then your friend would be convinced and you wont be convinced.

Now suppose if you have the required knowledge in astrology so you yourself can observe(remember its a whole different level of observations) and verify the results, then its possible for me to explain what to look for and where you would be finding proof. There is no other way.

Just for a start. Have you seen star wars episodes 1-3 and Shogun - the tv series? found some resemblance in someones character?

19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Give an esample of esactly what you woud tell somone to look for who had the requred knowledge.!!!

I dont recall esactly... i was mor of a fan of the original an the other Star Trek series (loved Spock an Data).!!!

20. Bells Staff Member

Yes. Me. Charming.

Selling price is $1,000,000.01

You buy?

Heh. Ply them up a bit first?

Pleasure and pain and all things nice and all that jazz.

For me it is daggers and ice-picks. Stab and slice... With some dicing..

Close.

Just hung over.

21. Bells Staff Member

I have this insane and inexplicable desire to stick an ice pick in my eyes right now. And I just can't understand why.

Oh wait. No. This could be why..

:bawl:

22. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

If you have the knowledge, then everything. Everything you feel which you cant put in words. It says that when you deal with 2 diff individuals from same zodiac, they would make you feel the same way. And many of them would have similar gestures with same timing, same mannerisms but not the social mannerisms. Say you learn how to look past people's social behavior, you would find way too much of similarities.

Try watching the new series of star wars and then the shogun series. you would know what i mean.

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Give an esample of esactly what you woud tell somone to look for who had the requred knowledge.!!!

You clame thers proof of Astrology that those wit the proper knowlwdge can understan... but obvously you'r proof dont include verifiable evidence or you coud preseent it in black an white on this bord.!!!

What you seem to be suggestin is... that i wont be able to understan the "proof" of Astrology until i gane the necesary knowledge to share what you "feel" (beleive)... an then i will be able to understan the proof you cant discuss.!!!

I say thats jibber-jabber... but in all fareness i will meet you half way... ie... i cant esplane the proof of my religion (NACA) in a way you will except as bein true until you study my religion an gane the knowledge necesary to except the proof of it... so my offer is this... you show you'r good will by properly studyin my beleifs an then i will serousliy study you'r beleifs about Astrology.!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.