Astonishing Importance of vitamin C

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by river, Oct 12, 2018.

1. river

I never knew how important vitamin C is until I came across an article about this vitamin in the Nexus mag. September/October 2018 issue . The Article ; Modern-Day Scurvy , Vitamin C and Burns .

" High-dose sodium ascorbate has great potential in the prevention of sub-clinical scurvy and infection , and in the treatment of burns ." ( sodium ascorbate form of vitamin C is the non-acidic form of Vitamin C , hence easier on the digestive system )

Article by Viera Scheibner , PhD .

Which after reading the article lead me to a hmmm....thought , just how important is vitamin C to the whole body ?

Well it turns out that Vitamin C's Role in the Body. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is necessary for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

It's involved in many body functions, including formation of collagen, absorption of iron, the immune system, wound healing, and the maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth.Jan 7, 2010

So is anybody really getting enough vitamin C ? I doubt it .

For now I take 3000mg per day . For the last 10 days . Whether I continue to do so I'll see . So far so good , I'm less itchy , especially my eyes and my skin is improving .

I take a chewable tablet that contains sodium ascorbate /ascorbate acid .....500mg .

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Most people get enough vitamin C if they eat a balanced diet.

Higher doses of vitamin C may have some benefits - but it is not a panacea.

Thank you for posting this so I could use the word panacea!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

But vitamin C is pretty darn close . Without enough of this vitamin C every growth and repair by your cells is not as good as it could be , and remember you pee out Vitamin C everyday because your body cannot retain it . Hence you have to replenish vitamin C all day long .

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's also true of fat, water, salt, sugar and protein.
    Most people are. An orange a day (or a glass of orange juice a day) gives you plenty. As with anything else, too much is a problem.
    No you don't. You've swallowed another bunch of media tripe from someone.

exchemist likes this.
  9. river

tripe , I don't think so .

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. Periodically you read another pseudoscience article and get all excited by it. This is just another one of them. Eat a balanced diet and you'll get the vitamin C you need. You generally don't need supplements, and for the most part, people who tell you you do are just trying to separate you from your money.

11. river

hmmm... I understand what your saying .

but since ALL your growth and repair cells need this essential Vitamin C , and we have 50 trillion cells , and they all need this vitamin C , just where is the optimum point of need from the body ? remembering that we don't retain any of this vitamin ?

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

You need about 46 milligrams a day for your body to get enough vitamin C for normal operations. The FDA added some padding to that number, and they recommended 60 milligrams a day for a long time. Recently they upped it to 75-90mg (depending on body weight; generally they just say men 90mg and women 75mg to hit averages.)

A chili pepper gives you 100mg. Cup of strawberries - 89mg. One large orange - 90mg. 3/4 cup of orange juice - 93mg.

13. river

I didn't ask what sources of vitamin C are , I know there are many . and for ever , not just " for a long time " .

what though is the optimum amount of vitamin C for optimum operations of the body ?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  14. billvon Valued Senior Member

46mg for an average person.

15. river

thats not optimum , that just normal operation of the body .

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

"Normal operation of the body" is the goal. If you mess with that, then you are hurting yourself.

I know, I know, that's not going to sell any vitamins or miracle cures.

17. river

How do you know that if you " mess with that " ( what ever that means ) hurts the importance of the intake of vitamin C .

50 trillion cells rely on the intake of vitamin C , 50 trillion cells , are you getting enough ?

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Your body evolved over the past few hundred million years to thrive in an environment where a mixture of foods were eaten.

If you replicate that mixture, your body will thrive.
    If you mess with that by introducing too much of any one thing, or too little of another, then it will not. That's true of vitamin C, vitamin A, water, oxygen, sugar etc etc.

Simple.
    I am. Are you?

19. river

Yet you over look is that vitamin C is not retained by our body . Hence having to much vitamin C is simply not possible .

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Of course it is. From the Mayo Clinic website:
    =====================================
    While vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient, it's possible to have too much of it.

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that supports normal growth and development and helps your body absorb iron. Because your body doesn't produce or store vitamin C, it's important to include vitamin C in your diet. For most people, an orange or a cup of strawberries, chopped red pepper, or broccoli provides enough vitamin C for the day.

For adults, the recommended daily amount for vitamin C is 65 to 90 milligrams (mg) a day, and the upper limit is 2,000 mg a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements might cause:

• Diarrhea
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
    • Heartburn
    • Abdominal cramps
    • Headache
    • Insomnia
    Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides an adequate amount of vitamin C.
    ====================================

21. river

I take as had mentioned before on ealar post that I take 3000mg of vitamin C which is in the form of sodium/ascorbic tablet , 500mg ea , chewable . ( which I suck on as a candy ) And so far have none of these symptoms you mention above .

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

So, in other words, you have been lucky. Let's hope your luck does not run out. Some things you are risking:

=========
    Gastrointestinal Problems
    Common side effects of vitamin C overdose involve the digestive tract. If you consume more than 2,000 mg of vitamin C, you may develop severe gastrointestinal irritation and diarrhea. In addition to significant discomfort, extended episodes of diarrhea or vomiting can lead to dehydration, causing extreme thirst, fatigue, low urine output and reduced blood pressure. Diarrhea and vomiting can also cause additional mineral imbalances in the body.

Kidney Stones
    Vitamin C is broken down by the body into a substance called oxalate. Some oxalate is secreted in urine, however high urinary oxalate levels may cause formation of deposits, known as kidney stones. High vitamin C intake is associated with an increased risk of oxalate kidney stones -- accounting for approximately 80 percent of all kidney stones.

Hemochromatosis
    Hemochromatosis is a condition caused by excess iron build-up in the body. This condition is commonly inherited, and most often affects the liver, heart and pancreas. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron. Although vitamin C overdose does not cause hemochromatosis, it can worsen the condition.
    ===========

23. river

Not lucky just understood the importance of vitamin C in the renewal and repair of every single cell in our body .

Look up independent of myself , how important vitamin C is