Asteroid to hit Mars

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Orleander, Dec 21, 2007.

1. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Did you ever read Punch magazine? They had some great covers. A favourite of mine were a group of skydivers holding hands in a circle on the sea bottom and one is saying to another; "I'll never get used to these metric altimeters".

Another favourite has a UFO landed in America and a number of top people are there, including the top brass. The ramp of the UFO is open and down it are walking (alien) humans dressed in red Indian clothing. One Government man is saying to another; "God, this is going to be embarrassing."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

The unusual strength of light materials usually comes about through great pressure forming the molecular structure into certain shapes, as in diamonds. That is not going to occur on the surface of a planet but only deep down.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

never even heard of sorry
    planets are dynamic what was down a thousand years ago when it was formed can now by quit up, it all depends where it would strike I gues, is there a lot of ice in the soil, is there a lot of comprsionable materials in the soil at witch angle does the impact happen, etc

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vega Banned Banned

It's not gonna hit!!!

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

:bawl:

9. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Not only is it not going to hit Mars, its not even likely now that Mars will deflect it enough to create a risk of a future Earth impact.

The asteroid's present orbit has a perihelion that is outside that of the Earth's orbit by about 5 million km. In order for a possible future Earth mpact to be possible, Mar's would have had to deflect the asteroid into a new orbit with a lower perhelion.

By my calculations this means that the asteroid would have to miss Mars by a maximum of 4130 km.

Present estimates place the asteroid on a path that will miss Mars by over 25,000 kilometers, with a small chance that it could pass within 3970 km. While this lower figure is within my calculated window, it is on the outside limb of the asteroid's possible path, which puts the probability as pretty low.

10. blobrana Registered Senior Member

From a paper on the non impact, the asteroid has been calculated to pass near planet Mars at the minimum distance of 8.4 ±1.1 Mars Radius

(The average radius of Mars is 3390 km.)