Assisted suicide - thought?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by High Voltage Blonde, Mar 1, 2012.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think you are simplifying the matter and attributing to me a position that I don't hold.

Since I am the only in this thread who is not in favor of assisted suicide, you apparently placed me into the same camp with some publicly vocal others who oppose it, even though I am not in that camp and don't have the same motivations and beliefs as they do.

I am inclined to agree with Byock. I don't think that legalizing assisted suicide will really help anything, nor do I think that the current US practices about dying are good either.

Byock says -

"I don’t see legalizing assisted suicide add some extension of our personal freedoms, I think it’s a regression and apology for a failed social policy and failed healthcare policy."

I strongly agree with that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. milkweed Valued Senior Member

I qualified the you portion with - as in the people who dont want the option available

Like it or not, you are in that camp.

What social policy on death? Suicide attempts get you evaluated for mental health issues. Assisted suicide is illegal and partaking in such activities get you charged with murder. Social policy is if there is one last dollar to squeeze out of your dying hands, it should be spent on trying to delay the natural outcome of a fatal disease regardless of whether you have kids at home who have a future, or your hopes and dreams were to fund their college education with what you managed to save, not fund doctors/hospitals/nursing homes while they 'practice' their trade in under government mandate (with DEA oversight on dosage).

Health care policy? People are not taking overdoses to end their lives when they have a cure. Its about when there ISNT a cure.

Sorry but I value my kids future over my own. I value my kids future over some doctor/nursing homes profit margin.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@wynn --

But you haven't given any evidence, even anecdotal evidence would be better than "his soul will hurt"(paraphrased obviously). Keep in mind though that I have more anecdotal support for my position(including the six times that I've done the whole "dying" thing) then you will be able to find for yours.

The problem with relying on anecdote as much as you do is that if there is equal or more anecdote going the other way then you can't make any convincing arguments, as you've learned from experience in this thread.

You'll note that both in that thread and in this one, when I've stated my opinion it's been clearly labeled as such. I don't instantly dismiss anything, it's when the personal experience/opinion/concern is at odds with the evidence that it gets dismissed, and rightly so.

And I've only dismissed personal experience when it conflicts with data because people are frequently wrong in what they think they experience. Bush Jr apparently experienced god telling him to go to war, do any of us think god actually told him to go to war? Not those of us with a brain anyways.

...When they conflict with the evidence as yours so demonstrably do in this thread. If you're going to put words in my mouth then you should at least make sure that they're correct.

Yes, you've made that crystal clear. What you've consistently failed to explain though is why such an approach is insufficient. You can't just say that an approach doesn't work and then not explain the why's and the how's, it simply doesn't work like that. You want me to embrace your inane(in my view) approach to this topic, then show me that it works better than mine does, because all you've shown so far is an emotional investment in a topic that you know next to nothing about.

I, on the other hand, have an emotional attachment to this issue which I've set aside in the hopes of learning more about it, which I've done thanks to Fraggle and others who were willing to present information about a topic which could well have gotten them in legal trouble. Beyond that I have much personal experience with dying while you have none, as someone who supposedly puts a lot of stock in personal experience you sure haven't put any stock in anyone's experience or evidence when it conflicted with your views.

Again, show me that you're right and I'll spin on a dime here. If you can't do that then you can have no reasonable expectation that we'll accept your position as valid. If you choose not to go that route then you could merely restate your position as an opinion rather than as a statement of fact and this whole thing would go away. I would still very likely think that you're opinion is stupid, but that's my right.

I have a phone call for you from a Mr Kettle, he wants to talk about the color black.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I can't speak for the rest of my "campers." But all I want is to understand why you feel the way you do about the issue. I have told you why I feel the way I do. Why won't you return the courtesy?
    Yeah, well welcome to SciForums. I would like this place to resemble an academy more than a junior highschool, but the other moderators always remind me that A) We would lose about 90% of our members by banning them for violating the new rules and B) We ourselves don't have the time to enforce the new rules.
    I do indeed have a very personal perspective on this and I've told you why more than once. We're 68 and it's time for us to make specific end-of-life plans. But the laws of this country make it extremely difficult for us to make the plans we want to. It's quite likely that at least one of us will be, essentially, kidnapped by the minions of the government and forced to undergo the humiliating, resource-draining experience they insist is "morally correct."
    Perhaps because you have not stated it very clearly.
    You don't seem willing to defend any position with any enthusiasm.
    Again, you don't debate well so you can't complain if people misunderstand you.
    I have no power and that's my complaint. The odds are about 3:1 that I will have no ability to direct my end-of-life care.
    I'm not the kind of person who is nice to people he doesn't like. Sorry 'bout that. Still I'm true to my principles and I try to treat you with civility, which on this website for precocious teenagers allows considerable trash-talk. I have done my best to encourage the others to be no more unkind to you than I am. Since I am not the moderator of this subforum my powers are limited to encouragement, not enforcement.
    Philosophy is not my strong suit. Communication is my career and I prefer having something explained to me than being expected to figure it out for myself. That's one of the reasons our species is in charge of this planet: we can talk to each other.
    I don't think that's a big surprise to anybody. I think monotheism is the worst thing humans ever invented.
    Well at last you expand on your points. Thank you.

The gist of these clippings is that doctors don't like to help people kill themselves. I understand that. Kevorkian and the doctor who was interviewed in the article I linked to are rare exceptions. I'm not asking a doctor to give me a lethal dose of something. I'm just asking him to stand aside and let me take care of it myself. More importantly, if the cause of imminent death happens to also have rendered me too weak or too stupid to take care of it myself, and I have a pact with a loved one (who is not a doctor) to assist, I'm asking the feces-for-brains government to NOT charge that loved one with murder, throw him/her in jail, and invalidate my will that leaves my estate to him/her.

So I will confess to being off topic, since the title of this thread clearly specifies assisted suicide and just as clearly implies physician-assisted.
    Yes, the poor doctors just can't win. I understand and sympathize.
    We go through cycles of distrusting authority, and this is one of them. We trusted our bankers and they invented the subprime mortgage. We trusted our industrialists and they outsourced all our jobs to China. We trusted a presidential candidate who said he would close Guantanamo and legalize recreational drugs, and he hasn't. One trusted her priest and he refused to give communion at her mother's funeral because of her sexual orientation. Our authorities aren't acquitting themselves very honorably.
    Interesting reference. Just last year, it was discovered that some patients in long-term coma are conscious and can hear. By training them to send signals to well-separated brain centers they can use their instruments to interpret "yes" and "no" answers to questions.

My first question is: How would any of us feel about the possibility of being one of those patients, trapped in an immobilized body, unable to communicate, possibly for months or, in an extreme case, years? My second question is: Did the doctors ask any of the patients with whom they made contact whether they wanted to continue in that state or have the plug pulled? My third question is: If they asked the question and the patient answered "pull the plug," would they do it?
    Some of this is imposed on them bureaucratically by a nation that has a surplus of attorneys. Whenever anybody dies for any reason, an attorney crawls up out of the sewer and says, "We can sue somebody for this!" Since court cases are decided by juries who are not experts in medicine, occasionally a doctor is found guilty of malpractice for simply using his best judgment--or a nurse or an EMT or a hospital administration. So now doctors practice "defensive medicine." Before they do surgery, for example, they send you in for every test they can think of, to make sure no attorney can accuse them of negligence or malpractice. These tests cost a fortune and can delay your surgery for a couple of weeks! This is why surgeries in the USA cost about twice as much as anywhere else, even though the success rate is no higher.
    I think he's exaggerating but I understand why. At least he explains why he feels this way.

Perhaps you're telling us that you agree with him so now we know why you feel this way. Would it have been so hard for you to say this in your own words earlier in the thread?

These doctors carefully avoid stating an opinion on unassisted suicide. The one even makes it clear that he honors DNR and other "no heroic measures" orders. That's cool with me. The kind of suicide described in the article I linked to has virtually nothing to do with the practice of medicine and hardly requires the assistance of a medical professional, who should be off somewhere saving lives that can be saved.

8. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

About half of patients dying of cancer have severe pain. Yet, only half of these patients receive reliable pain relief. We can relieve the pain, but because of the misconceptions regarding pain and the drugs used, many patients die in agony.

In my father’s case, the nurse was dumb enough to put this in her notes, “Moaning and crying out-will continue to monitor.” Her reasoning stemmed from her religious convictions but usually it is from fear of criminal liability.

Dyspnea is one of the most feared symptoms. This was also my father’s biggest fear, but morphine can actually reduce dyspnea and the anxiety, without causing harmful respiratory depression.

This happens all the time. It’s very common. What it illustrates is the fears that people like Fraggle have about dying in pain are justified. There is an alarming lack of sensitivity regarding this issue.

If you noticed, I said that I still believe in the right to die, but that he did make some valid points. However, his argument was not persuasive. What he revealed was society’s innate and primitive principle regarding even pain relief for the dying. We have not even begun to distinguish facts from fiction in the laws of pain relief, much less suicide.

I think that many people feel that it is an invasion of bodily integrity to force life sustaining medical treatments but it is not an invasion to restrict physician assistant suicide. I don’t get it, though. We have this strong innate desire to reduce suffering for the living but not for the dying. What business is it of society to require this prolongation and suffering? In my opinion, it all boils down to GOD. We want them to die naturally, in god’s hands. Am I right?

Mother Killed by Hospice with Morphine Overdose

When I first found out that my father was terminal, I would have done anything in my power to keep him alive. I even asked myself if it was selfish to want him to suffer so that I could have him for a few more minutes. One minute seemed so valuable but to him a minute seemed like an eternity. Trust me… if this woman had watched her mother suffer, as I had with my father, she would have been grateful that her mother remained in a coma. Although, I am an atheist…I prayed…I prayed for him to die. Nobody should have to suffer like that.

9. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

This is very much the way others sometimes perceive their interactions with you. Perhaps if you were to explain yourself and the basis for your points with a bit more clarity, a bit less sarcasm, arrogance and insult, you could ease some of the friction between yourself and others here. Not that there is anything wrong with causing discord.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For practical purpose, "suicide" means "to bring about one's own death" (" with a not insignificant measure of certainty" is implied). You load the gun, put it to your temple and pull the trigger fully expecting to die as a direct result. If you do not die from that, you have only attempted suicide, if you do die from that you have succeeded in committing suicide.

A cigarette smoker has approximately a 1 in 20 chance of dying from smoking and then indirectly. The smokers purpose is not to kill themselves though, it is to feed a habit that is demanding to be fed. They did not start smoking with the intent of killing themselves either, so even if they do die from the side - effects of smoking it is not "suicide".

"FWIW" is American shorthand for "For What It's Worth", which may be much or little, depending on the reader's mindset and ethics.

My emphasis is that I answer your questions while you do not answer mine. I consider that to be part of my contribution to your ongoing education.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Americans understand the reason why people begin to use caffeine, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and other popular addictive drugs. Yet they don't understand (or at least pretend not to understand) why people begin to use tobacco, which rivals alcohol as the most popular addictive drug on earth.

They use it for the same reason! It's a psychoactive drug that makes them feel better. Tobacco is, perhaps, unique because it is a mood leveler. If you're anxious it will calm you down, if you're down it will perk you up, and you don't even have to be sufficiently aware of your own feelings to know which way you want to go. This suggests that it may be especially appealing to that precise demographic: people who are not in touch with themselves but just want to feel better.

People don't take up smoking because they want to have a demanding habit. They do it because they want to feel better. It's the only drug they can find that can do that and is affordable, legal, socially acceptable, doesn't build up a tolerance requiring ever-higher doses, and doesn't make them do things they'll regret in the morning.

Yes this has nothing to do with the topic, but I didn't see any point in letting the error go uncorrected. After all, "Why people want to do things" is one of the central points of this thread.

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Always blame the other person, eh? I guess this is typically American too.

Rather than saying what you would like to emphasize with a piece of information, you rather blame me.

When the questions are of the kind "Why are you such a fucking idiot?" - yeah, how preposterous of me to not answer them earnestly!

12. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@wynn --

To be fair, you haven't answered a single one of my questions either, apparently because they're not the softballs you like to be thrown.

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Don't care much for Americans, eh? Kinda painting with a broad brush there, son. Looks a bit like bias to me. Maybe you should report yourself for posting that.

Sometimes in this life you just have to make up your own mind, this is one of those occasions. I believe that you are up to it though.

If you feel that you are to blame for something, however, perhaps you should try doing things a little differently.

FWIW, it matters not why you are "such a fucking idiot". It is, however, unfortunate that you view yourself in such manner.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM A MODERATOR * * * *

This thread is coming close to becoming nothing more than a flame war, in which case the moderator of this subforum will shut it down. Is that what you all want? None of you have any information to add? You're all waiting for wynn to find the words to explain her allegedly irrational postion, while exchanging snide insults?

You don't think that if she could delve deeply enough into herself to find the explanation, she would have already provided it?

This is hardly a discussion any more.

15. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

Right...and he or she would realize at that point that the right thing to do is A: Kill them, B: Kill them or C: Kill them and as a optional choice D: stand around praying or beliveing in false hope and saying that you understand what their feeling and try to convince yourself and the person slowly rotting on the hospital bed that it is all going to be just super, all the while your just making an ass of yourself in addition they mighy just sense the bs that your spewing and everyone around you would notice you saying it to.

Germany has had no penalty for either suicide or assisted suicide since 1751, although it rarely happens there due to the hangover taboo caused by Nazi mass murders, plus powerful, contemporary, church influences. Direct killing by euthanasia is a crime. In 2000 a German appeal court cleared a Swiss clergyman of assisted suicide because there was no such offence, but convicted him of bringing the drugs into the country. There was no imprisonment.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  16. ilija Registered Member

I think assisted suicide should be accepted, people should have a right to do whatever they want with their lives, if they want to kill themselves so what, people should help them in doing it right

17. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

THANK YOU!:thumbsup:

18. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Why have someone "assist" you, just go out and buy a gun and do it to yourself, making others do it for you only puts them into a distressed feeling of murdering someone who they care for. That of course is for those who can still move around for there are other means available. I just think iof you want to leave this life you should be the one to do it and not make others help you.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The whole idea of "assisted suicide" arose in the context of people who are terminally ill. They may already be so weak that they can't go to a gun shop. They might not even be able to qualify for the license they'd need in order to be allowed to buy one.

In Oregon, the only state where assisted suicide is legal, I'm fairly certain that no doctor would help you kill yourself if you're physically healthy and your problem is depression. And why should he? You should be perfectly capable of committing unassisted suicide.

20. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

True but then there are the laws that try to prevent you from suicide or heavly punish said individuals for attempting to take his or her own life.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well then that seems like another problem to be solved, albeit a related one. As other members have reported, there are countries in which suicide is not illegal.

22. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

Please list them or at least give a site that list them(hopefully they are within my travel budget)

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member