Asperger's Syndrome

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Futilitist, Dec 16, 2012.

1. elte Valued Senior Member

It touches upon why some folks with autism prefer not to spend brainpower on socializing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elte Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily, they have different strengths and weaknesses compared to most other folks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

That is the right way to look at it, I think. The weaknesses can be very debilitating but the strengths can be quite profound.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A Controversial statement:

The Jesus story is a myth about an earnest, barefooted, rag wearing, Aspergers autistic with a co-morbid oppositional defiant personality disorder, and a classic, overbearing Jewish mother, who is duped by 12 disciples into "leading" them in their political struggles with the Romans! He is an idiot who pays for this mistake with his life.*

Now the serious theory that makes the above statement plausible. Practically certain, actually. (IMHO)

http://www.neanderthalproject.com/?tag=aspergers-syndrome

Hopefully this should generate some good discussion.

---Futilitist

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

It wont.

So few words have been your own.

8. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

So?

I can say the same about you, kitten of few words!

I don't think your comment is at all valid, or useful in any way, and it seems more like just a distraction.

Hopefully people here can read articles that I link to, and a good discussion can grow from there. If not, what is the point of this forum?

---Futilitist

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Um..

Type more of your own thoughts than posting articles.

10. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Why?

Why? Maybe you could give us an example.

---Futilitist

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Because it's a discussion forum.

Not a post-a-link forum.

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I have Asperger's, however I never got real treatment for it although I would've liked it.

Basically I was able to participate in a study years ago to help find more out about my depression etc. and part of it was written, after which the results were given to me in a report. What it showed was I had demonstrated some Asperger's traits, but since it was a depression study the guy doing it didn't really care much. In the end my therapist never really got into helping me with it, he was pretty much not helpful IMO. Sometimes you could see his education when he would apply it, or mention something casually, but he never really knew what he was doing, once he told me to leave town if I didn't like it lol Crazy huh?

I've learned you can't always listen to people just because they say they are trying to help you, sometimes they're lazy or complacent and do nothing. I even stayed in a clinic for depression for like 2 weeks and this is where it should've been pretty obvious to them I had Asperger's, but they never did mention it (I didn't know it existed either back then). I told them noises were bothering me and everything was so loud it hurt, this was when I had terrible depression and I feel it weakened my coping mechanisms enough that the Asperger's traits really became noticable. I told them like 4 times, once to the nurse, once to the psychiatrist, once to another nurse, and once in a group class. Guess what? NO ONE mentioned that it was abnormal or offered some explanation for it, I was left confused and wondering why noises were causing me such pain (felt similar).

Later I read some good Abnormal psychology books the kind for college, and I learned that people with undiagnosed Asperger's at an early age develop coping mechanisms and as adults this makes it harder to diagnose and get treatment. Unfortunately that's the category I fell into, and yet....... sensitivity to noise is a primary sign of Autism in general and they were of no help to me.

I have pretty much decided I need to learn about this myself, after 3 years of therapy the therapist still didn't really work with my AS or help me much, oh well.

But this is how I learned that therapists and psychiatrists generally speaking will not help you, it has to be the right PERSON or else you're going to waste alot of time and money on nothing. You see it's the PEOPLE that become therapists and their methods that matter, any moreon can become a therapist or psychiatrist.

13. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Oh, you mean the link to the article that returns this 404 error:

Error 404

Information provided by Disabled World - Published: 2008-01-01

Sorry! The page you requested is no longer here.

14. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

I can relate to this personally. My father has Asperger's traits which everyone is aware of but him. I told him about my ideas concerning social collapse. He decided I needed "professional" help. I agreed to try what he had in mind (I actually used it as an opportunity to further test how people react to news of social collapse). The psychiatrist I ended up with told me I was suffering from a delusion. I brought reams of documentation to prove that the idea was valid. After a couple of weeks, the psychiatrist changed my "diagnosis" to "suffering from a debilitating thought" as a compromise, without really considering anything I had to say. The treatment she proscribed was the same in any case. Drugs. Abilify to be exact. It has terrible side effects. I was unable to concentrate on anything. I lost all enjoyment in studying, learning, and practicing my drums, etc. I stopped taking the drug after three days. I continued going to the shrink to please my father and my girlfriend at the time. I pretended to everyone that I was still taking the drug. For the next three months, everyone remarked how the treatment was having such a positive effect! My father continues to deny my Asperger's as well as his own. His issue stems from my Grandfather's obvious autism, and my father's inability to see the traits in himself. My ex girlfriend is now a big believer in my Asperger's diagnosis, especially now that she is working with a leading neuroscientist on a documentary about attachment theory.

It very much depends on who you see, as to whether you will ever get a good evaluation, let alone treatment or therapy. Behavioral therapy seems to be the only effective method. Good luck.

---Futilitist

15. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

The link worked fine when I first wrote the post. I don't know why that link no longer works. I certainly didn't make up the list! I poked around the site and found another copy of the article in question. Here is a link:

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_2086.shtml

I fixed the link in the original post as well. Thanks for catching that.

---Futilitist

16. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

17. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Yeah, you failed to post this disclaimer:

NOTE: Also included are famous people for whom there is a lot of speculation that they have or had Aspergers Syndrome, but who may not have (or have had) Aspergers at all. -http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_2086.shtml

I knew the answer going in:

18. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Whatever. I tested the original link when I made the original post and it worked just fine. Perhaps they took it away since the DSM change announcement, I have no idea. If so, the duplicate article I found, in response to your first post about, might disappear as well. I have no control over this.

The disclaimer you are quoting above did not appear in the first article. I only fixed the link, not the whole post. You are being very nit picky, anyway, since there is no requirement that I post everything in an article. If I did that, why post a link at all.

Also, my original post does have this disclaimer...:

Speculated to have Asperger's Syndrome

...which is bolded and underlined. I think that is adequate. It is from the article I posted the first time. Give me a break.

You do have some commendable proof reading skills, though. For a neurotypical, I mean.

So did I.

---Futilitist

19. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

No way to verify that now.

20. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

What is your point?

What is your point? I have no way to verify it either, since the original article has been pulled by the original site! It has nothing to do with me or anything I may or may not have done. You will just have to trust me on this. You are wasting everyone's time. There is nothing wrong with my original post. Please stop posting irrelevant garbage. Thank you.

This is a thread to discuss Asperger's syndrome in all it's facets. It is for human beings. If you have nothing worthwhile to add...

I can't believe that you can't see how ridiculous and rude your comments will appear to someone reading this thread. You are embarrassing yourself.

I am going to ignore you from here on out.

---Futilitist

21. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

I am commenting on the self-serving and apologetic belief in a "value" of AS. Have pride in what adversities you have overcome, but do not delude yourself into thinking it is anything more noble than a disorder.

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

While I agree in *general* principle with that, I do see some distinctive advantages in some cases and distinctive disadvantages in others.

In general, I view it in much the same way as I do talents. Or having (or not having) a special knack for something.

For example - some people are excellent at public speaking while others freeze up at the very thought. Some can take a chunk of rock and create a work of art while others can only make a pile of rubble.

Some autistic people can focus so tightly on a task that they can complete something so huge that others would not even attempt. While on the other hand, some autistic individuals are SO restricted by inadequate social skills that even if they solved all the mysteries of the universe they would be unable to pass it along to the world.

So it's much like every other aspect of life that , as I said in the beginning, it's a mixed bag of advantages and disadvantages. And in any particular individual, the balance between the two can tip either way.

23. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

I think that is a fair and balanced way to look at it. Asperger's syndrome clearly has it's good points and it's bad points.

But as evidenced elsewhere on this thread, there is considerable prejudice against Aspies. Neurotypical hatred of people with Asperger's syndrome goes back to the evolutionary beginning of our species. It is one of the oldest prejudices there is.

Also, much is made of the inability of Aspergeans to understand the social world around them. There is, of course, a lot of truth in that observation. But it is greatly amplified by the way that neurotypicals very often treat Aspies. It is very hard to figure out what is going on socially, if you are excluded from social interaction. Neurotypicals get together and talk about Aspies behind their backs. They gang up and make fun of them. They engage in vicious scapegoating of Aspies. Please check out:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/

There is a lot of prejudice built into the concept of theory of mind. Aspies are commonly referred to by Neurotypicals as lacking empathy. I think it is the other way around. Aspergeans have a kind of global empathy and earnestness that really should be appreciated. It is the same empathy and earnestness that is expressed by a very famous, though mythical, figure. Jesus.

Here is a humorous (i.e comedic) way to look at the gospels. I mean no offense by this, so, for anyone who might, please don't take any. I am an atheist who was born Jewish. Consider the source. Hey that could be construed to have a double meaning, couldn't it? Jeez, this disclaimer is funnier than the joke I am trying to set up. it is not even my joke anyway. But it isn't just a joke. It has serious meaning behind it, too, like any good humor should. Here goes.

---Futilitist

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012