Asimov's Foundation

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Jan 19, 2009.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Finally it is going be a movie...hopefully in 3 parts. I have been waiting for this since 1980.

FOUNDATION
    According to Variety, Columbia won an auction late Thursday for screen rights to FOUNDATION, Isaac Asimov's ground breaking science fiction trilogy. The film will be developed as a directing vehicle for Roland Emmerich. Originally published as a series of eight short stories in Astounding Magazine beginning in
    1942, FOUNDATION is a complex saga about humans who are scattered on planets throughout the galaxy, living under the rule of the Galactic Empire. A
    psycho-historian who can scientifically read the future sees an imminent empire collapse, and sets to work preparing to save the knowledge of mankind.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Sounds cool.
    Is Asimov considered hardcore SciFi like Reynolds, Clarke, and Baxter ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Asomov and Clarke are considered at the top...then rest....even though there are a lot of good writers out there. That is because it is what the baby boomers like me grew up with....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Asimov wrote I Robot and look what they did with that book.

Asimov was a true scientist as well , he was a physicist first then began writing over 500 books during his lifetime. I met him at a few book fairs and heard him speak and met him as well. He was rather old at the time but had his wits about him.

8. draqon Banned Banned

Asimov is the top of the top. There is noone higher in scifi than him. His Martian Chronicles are outstanding.

9. kmguru Staff Member

I have his book called "Asimov's Guide to the Bible". It is really eye-opening. The truth behind the truth. To me Asimov and Clarke are the two giants...no one will come close. And when we will have true AI, he will go to the top, then if we find a device on the Moon or Mars, Clarke will jump to the top....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. draqon Banned Banned

trust me...there is no device on the Moon or Mars. Just dust.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Odd isn't it , nothing is named Asimov that has been launched into space or Clarke either. Two giants in Sci Fi that never YET have been recognized by NASA. :shrug:

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You guys don't know much about movie making. The Fundation series is impossible to transfer to movies specially not in the style of Godzilla-making Emmerich...

13. draqon Banned Banned

oh yeah? I am sure you would say the same thing about "Hitch Hikers Guide to The Galaxy"

and that isnt just a masterpiece...it has been grasped with full sci-fi intensity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbGNcoB2Y4I

14. superstring01 Moderator

The books were horrible. I wanted to love them. I really did. After "Dune" all I wanted was something else as philosophical and epic. But they were just bad.

~String

15. draqon Banned Banned

String, read Stanislaw Lem. Read, "Eden".

16. kmguru Staff Member

NASA is not what it used to be. There is no vision, just grunt engineering. I have friends there. They are as dull as it can be. But there are some Star Trek fans there...the kids who did not grow up....

17. draqon Banned Banned

Why do you say that? Why are you saying they did not grow up? Are they not in NASA? Have they not accomplished their dreams?

18. krokah Registered Senior Member

As a kid I read Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy in junior high school. It hooked me on science fiction. I went on to read Clarke's "Childhoods End" and Bradburys "Stranger in a Strange Land". It inspired me to science in high school. Not sure how the movie will be. Can't wait to see, hope they don't blow it like they did in the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

19. kmguru Staff Member

Well if you have read Asimov and Clarke, you will understand....it is that juno se qua....

Dont get me wrong...I have done rocket science....but that is boring after a while...[/QUOTE]

20. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

errr...

Didn't Ray Bradbury write The Martian Chronicles ?

Asimov's work is OK, but I wouldn't gush over it to the degree you did.
    For instance, in The Caves of Steel & The Robots of Dawn, if Elijah Baley had freaked out over one more "off world" sandwich or tater tot or whatever, so help me I would have torn the books apart and burned them.

LoL

errr...

Didn't Frank Herbert write the Dune books ?

21. draqon Banned Banned

...right, Ray. my bad.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

It is really about time.
    I'm going to start reading it this week before the movie starts.

23. NumLk \m/ Registered Senior Member

Great news! I love the books and it'll be awesome to see a movie based on them.