As an Atheist what do you teach kids?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Apr 11, 2011.

1. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Athiesm is a conclusion that is drawn from subjective lines of logical reasoning, not something that should be preached.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Why is atheism so important to you that you scream and shout like a little girl in pedobears van?

When i said "dead as god" I was clearly joking. Like somebody said, I can't believe something is dead that i find utterly improbable having ever existed.

About the uppercut... Please man... Are you really that primitive. Well unlike you, my christian friends aren't violent. I guess that's unchristian or? They also don't get offended when i say to them that I think their religions are improbable. No.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so why do you argue with him?
    "Never wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you just get dirty"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

You going on like a whiny little bitch isn't helping matters though, is it?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If it's logical, it isn't subjective. Since there is no evidence for a god, it remains a totally unsupported theory, like thinking bad spirits cause disease. Of course we don't know for sure that there aren't spirits that cause disease somewhere in the universe, but it's logical for now to say that since there is no evidence, spirits do not cause disease and there is probably no such thing. That's all atheism says.

9. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

We can say that we are genetically equipped to feel what we call "spiritual" experience. Science can even show through neuroimaging the areas of the brain activated during such experiences and attain specific bio-feedback readings. So let us call "spiritual experience" biologically normal, and perhaps higher in some than others.

But then we can ask: Is it also biologically normal to form philosophical/religious beliefs to accompany these "spiritual" experience....and then impose those beliefs on others? Maybe it is! Why? Because it causes CONFLICT and CONFLICT has fueled our technological/scientific/intellectual advances = SURVIVAL.

But maybe the outward expression of these thoughts and the ensuing conflict is pretty necessary (not pretty but necessary) to get our neurons all fired-up to forge new neural paths. Nothing works better than "conflict" to get our brains operating at optimum levels.

It’s a story of natural selection, for those who have studied it.

The unspeaking right hemisphere of the brain can also be felt as a presence, sparking notions of beings there. You can even feel this side of the brain as warmer if you look at something in your house as a whole for a while and not consider its details at all.

Natural, and normal for some to then impose the felt sensations as Whatever superstition as "true" onto others. It's the "second story", with the first floor of neurology beneath. Introspection alone cannot find all truth; one must be informed by science as well about what goes on inside the head.

10. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Go, go, Yoyo. I tell people too, and many actually love it. A few of the really far gone may resort to anger as some kind of last resort, but those are mostly on forums.

11. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Nor do they cause mental ills.

12. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Better than acting like a whiny sidelining fagot.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes. And the danger of faith, which is belief in the absence of evidence, is very clear. It leads to believing in people who might claim to know something based on personal revelation alone. In the past, this has led to some very bad things.

14. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I'm fine with that. But god not existing is subjective as well there both suppositions. So a cause is less logical than there not being one? What makes you think that?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  15. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I agree with that. What's your point? I dont believe in any spiritual experience. I do however believe in god.

What is your point.
    Supposition, but I have no reason to disagree.....
    I missed your point entirely. Do you believe in god or no? I dont understand why you posted this, it went right over my head.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Atheism is supported by the lack of evidence for a god, that isn't a random supposition. The evidence is overwhelming and getting better every day. The things that god was supposed to explain have been replaced by better scientific explanations. Prayer does not work in controlled studies. Religious people aren't any more good than non-religious people. The origins of life appear to be natural, and the origin of species is one of the most successful theories in all of science. Our world is not the center of the universe. Most of our solar system is inhospitable to life. Most of the rest of the galaxy is impractically beyond exploration, even traveling at the speed of light. This doesn't look like the product of a god that cares about our species.

17. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Your predisposed bias with god has to do with organized religion. I dont believe anything that has to do with organized religion and I agree that god doesent care about us as a species. I'm highly skeptical to whether there is even a "us" and a "god" or "me" and a "you". Athiesm is nothing short of a random supposition its not inferred on knoweledge or data thats an absurd claim that your making. Dare I say equally as absurd as a claim coming from a thiest.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

If you say it often enough it WILL come true*.

* For a given value of "true".

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Organized religion defines attributes for god, so these are more easily refuted. The idea itself has some evidence against it as well. Physics can now determine that no net energy was required to start the big bang. We also can say that it was at one point, small enough to be affected by quantum events, which can be uncaused. It is not an absurd claim to say that the universe did not apparently need a god in order to come about. It is the view supported by current science. Furthermore, there is no reliable evidence for any supernatural thing, so one would also have to disprove the naturalistic theories (however unproved) before any supernatural theory would have any credibility.

As a theist, you would have to show that either a god must have existed, or there is some evidence for it.

20. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

LOL.
    I didn't expect that. First time I've ever laughed out loud reading this forum. Fair play to you.

21. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Some are naturally inclined to believe, and the emotions can be very strong, yet this is subjective. I am atheist. No Being or even any being could be elemental, for that makes a system in operation, which can only come later on. Plus many more paradoxes. Cause and effect ends as some eternal causeless ground-state; thus this basis was never created. And the only candidate for this prime mover is nothing. One cannot start with something (anything) already there and all defined without ever having been.

22. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

So popular blood cults who created belief systems get the credit for god, and this is refuting god? or organized religion? I dont understand. You do understand they are not the same thing but try to associate them, why? It doesent credit your argument. If I say organized religion is foolish do you think its the same thing as me saying god is foolish?

Listen to what your saying. Are you trying to prove for or against the existance of god?

I'm curious as to why you ascertain this.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It seems similar to a thiest argument "God just came, he's god! he doesent need a cause" so your saying matter doesent need a cause because your understanding of quantum mechanics / physics? I'm curious, elaborate.
    How is that more valid than me saying the same thing except claiming "did not" with "did" ? Prove it or explain your line of reasoning.

Source please???

Naturalistic theory? Something coming from nothing is natural? Can you demonstate how this is the case? Or is it more suppositions based on your understanding or lack of qm?
    I explained the reasons why I believe in god. Can you explain why you dont besides shit thats so damn arbituary like "explain the naturalistic reasons first" are you f'real?

23. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Right like you are inclined to believe god does not exist. I agree with you.

How would you know

So something complex coming from nothing.......

Yeah not like your viewpoint doesent have any

And I'm the loony one?

Right. So the only thing that could explain our reality is nothing.

Good observation, you've figured it out, Sci. You are truly enlightened. Nothing lost, Nothing gained. No pun intended eh