Art

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I debated with myself on whether to include art from what we usually call mythology with this myth art. So far, I put it in the other art thread. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  9. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Don't debate with yourself, you'll go blind!
    By the way, I don't get how you are so down on religion in other threads, but here you 'admire' Christian, Muslim and even Hindu art? What's up with that? Are you schizophrenic, and it is another of your personalities that posts on this thread? Since one of your personalities consider it all mythical anyway, and one of your other personalities does not, why even ask us? Forget to take your meds, and your other self will just post here anyway. Get help, dude.

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I don't get how you don't get it. Are you ignorant? I did not ask you anything. I don't need your meds or help with anything, Silly Child.

11. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

It's called hypocrisy, or maybe barking madness.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

What is myth and what is truth? Since there is no supposing evidence for any Religious POV, I tend to think on religious questions best we can do is to follow none or accept the one, if any, instilled in us when too young to think, if it is "working" for you. Mine was not - too egotistical with great hostility to other POVs (non Christians, even Catholics, with their infallible Pope, dammed to hell etc.)

If it is not, and you feel you need something spiritual to believe in, Occam's razor is not a bad guide. All beliefs postulate a "soul" that lives on after death, but that is all most of the re-incarnation believers need to postulate. No God, No Heaven, No Hell, No Purgatory, etc.

I don't feel that need - being an agnostic is fine with me although a multitude of specialized gods is sort of attractive too. - That "wins" hands down, if majority beliefs over the centuries is to be you guide.

But, to answer your question more directly, it seem to me the religions art work of all societies has as much right to be in this thread as that of the recent version (Christianity), which a small part of humanity believes in, does.

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

This is painting, by Goyo is huge. Too big to be in most art galleries - It hangs on the two story tall wall of stairway landing between the first and lower floors in the Prato in Madrid - You must look at it as you descend! It depicts part of the Greek legend of how the Earth became populated. {Compared to that, Darwin is down right boring!}

Before people, there were the titans et. al. Cronus is devouring his children, much to his wife's regret as he fears one will kill him when he grows up (and one does as his wife finally gave him a stone wrapped in a baby's blanket to eat and hid the child, Zeus, until he was big and strong.)

Goyo was Spanish and used the Roman name, Saturn instead of the Greek name: Cronus. Greek "mythology" as we unbelievers call it, is fascinating, but I have forgotten most of it. The quality of many post, especially in the religious thread since it has been invaded by people insisting QM supports Christianity etc, at sciforums now is so low, I think I will take a break and re-learn what the ancient Greeks believed. Your thread can take credit for that. See quick Wiki summary in my next post.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Cronus (or Saturn for the Romans who stole many Greek ideas) was the last born of 12 Titans.
    Zeus, the one Gaia's stone trick saved poisoned Cronus and he vomited up all the 11 others who were immortal gods.
    I.e. Greek gods were "re-born" or "resurrected" and all in some sense came out of Chaos. Even Christianity's "virgin birth" is there too. One could say the Bible's Genesis is the Greek's story of the beginning, badly distorted via many stages of translation copies during ~5000 years and multiple language changes.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

There are many details omitted here and some conflicting verions - they could, and do, fill books and have inspired many great works of art.

Interetingly the Greeks had it right - Gaia, (earth) was born out of Chaos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.