"Art" - a One Word Oxymoron

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by RenaissanceMan, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Huh? I'm a registered Libertarian. I voted for Bob Barr, the Libertarian candidate.

In general, libertarians tend to have their roots in conservatism, so those who feel that they don't want to "waste their vote" are more likely to vote for Republican candidates. The few studies that have been undertaken suggest that Libertarian Party candidates "steal votes" from Republicans, just as Green Party candidates steal them from Democrats. Ralph Nader is widely blamed for throwing the very close 2000 election to Bush.

This is apparently one of the many things you don't understand about the United States. You're like Sam. You live somewhere else but you think you understand my country by reading a few internet boards. Or maybe, like her, you spent a couple of years here sequestered in an academic environment, so you swagger around saying, "Hey, I lived in the USA so I know all about it!" You don't have a clue about America.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Academic sequestration is largely irrelevant. One can't know the US by living in any one part of it for a few years, regardless of the particular sub-setting one inhabits. In fact, gaining a true understanding of just how big (and so, unknowable from any one place) the country is is typically the very first step in establishing a real understanding. Anyone who thinks a few years in a few spots is enough is basically admitting that they don't even get the basics.

And it's interesting how faulty even purely geographic conceptions of size can be. Some neighbors of mine are British immigrants, with extended family in FL (we're in SoCal). Their "Aha!" moment came when they wanted to go visit the Orlando relatives, but thought plane fair was to expensive. "No problem!" says the husband, "we'll just drive through the night, and sleep when we get there." At that point they plug the route into Google Maps, and realize that such will only get them to - maybe - the middle of TX. And that's when they genuinely realized what the scale of the country really is. They'd known it was "big" in the abstract before coming here - they've seen maps. But it's not until they tried to do something that immediately and concretely depended on that size that it really registered in actual, human terms (as opposed to just numbers and lines on a map).

And, yeah, they ended up shelling out for the plane tickets to get to FL.

And of course, even many Americans fall into the same trap (coastal elites are famously derided for considering the middle of the country to be "flyover states").

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

I was born in the United States, and served in the United States Army.

When Democrats aren't bad-mouthing President Bush and giving aid and comfort to terrorists, it's libertarians who are doing those things.

When Democrats aren't screaming for the opening of flood gates to illegal aliens, it's libertarians who do so.

When Democrats aren't screaming for the legalization of heroin and methamphetamine and cocaine, it's libertarians who are doing this.

When Democrats aren't bad-mouthing America, it's libertarians who do it.

Libertarians don't even know who their friends are. It sure isn't liberals.

This is one of many things you don't understand.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well that explains the attitude. You were brainwashed to believe that violence is sometimes the best way to resolve a dispute. Or more likely, you were raised that way so joining the army looked like a cool way to live out your violent fantasies. "Might makes right."
    We have bad-mouthed every President who's been in office since the party was founded in 1972. Of all the presidents in history, the one who is routinely excoriated by the libertarian community and press is FDR, the arch-Democrat. It was he who changed America into the welfare state/nanny state/police state that it is today. About the only decent thing he did was end Prohibition, but the only reason was so he could resume taxing alcoholic beverages--a huge boost to the federal budget at a time when the income tax was nowhere near its current confiscatory level.

You're really out of touch with contemporary politics if you think the Libertarians are aligned with the Democrats. Most Libertarians are disillusioned Republicans. I'm one of about twelve in the whole country whose roots are on the left. I understand what liberals want to do and I even respect it, I just wish they'd figure out that it will never be accomplished by a government grown so big that, like any gigantic organism, it devotes most of its attention to its own internal metabolism, rarely notices external stimuli, and when it deigns to respond to them it's too late, too slow, and just plain wrong.

On the rare occasions when Libertarians perceive a substantive difference between a Republocrat candidate and a Demoblican candidate, and don't want to "waste their vote" on our party's candidate, they invariably vote for the Republican. Libertarians "steal votes" from Republican candidates, that's how Montana ended up with a Democratic senator in the 2010 election. This is the same way the Green Party steals Democratic votes, which is how Ralph Nader threw the 2000 election to Bush.
    Nobody wants to increase the number of illegal aliens. We all want to give peaceful, productive people a chance to become Americans. That's how this country became great. Americans have gotten soft and lazy, and their children are even worse. The only way you can get anything done in this country is to hire an Indian, a Chinese, a Mexican, a Russian, a Ghanaian, an Ethiopian, etc...
    My grandfather, a staunch Republican, sold heroin and cocaine in his pharmacy. He never had problems with customers abusing his drugs because if he saw signs of it he simply cut them off--or worse yet, ratted them out to their wife or their mother the next time she came in. You fans of the Nanny State (their slogan is "health, safety, fitness and sobriety at any cost!") just don't understand that when you push a popular product onto the black market, whatever evils you see in it will become a thousand times worse. My parents lived through Prohibition and saw Chicago turned into a war zone. Now we have the new Prohibition, and I guess you guys probably think it's all right because we've turned Mexico into a war zone and you all hate Mexicans anyway so you don't mind seeing their families gunned down.
    We love America. It's the bloated government, who now tells us what we can eat and where we can smoke, that we don't much care for. They're not responsive to anyone except corporate leaders and both the current president and his predecessor are certified retards who have no idea how a civilization runs. This isn't an American government, it more closely resembles the Nazis or the Communists. The last decent president we had was Eisenhower; the guy who warned us about the coming takeover by the "military-industrial complex." Which, BTW, did indeed happen.
    We have no friends. Americans today don't value what little liberty they have left, so they don't mind giving it up to the Food Police, the Helmet Police, and the leering gropers in the Homeland Gestapo who have taken over our airports.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  8. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

"Cease ALL of the personal insults." - You, in post #70 of this thread

You're one to talk to anybody else about "personal insults."
    First you speak on behalf of your wife, and when I responded, you sniveled that your wife "wasn't here to defend herself."

Well she wasn't here to speak in the first place. YOU spoke for her.
    That was fine, but when the rebuttal comes, you squeal and assert your petty authority on this nothing space.

Color me impressed.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

neither of those groups give aid or comfort to terrorists. thats a lie

neither do so.

niether except for the more extreme libertarians do this. most just want pot legalized

neither do this.

the libertarians do know who their friends are and more often than not its liberals

lets just ignore the grammatical fuck up and just get to the more important point your really really really wrong

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Ah yes thank you for proving the libertarians are just as nuts and out of touch as the republicans and democrats

your rant is well just as childish and immature as most of the rants I see on politcal talk shows. your refrences to the nazis and communist along with the police state is highly offensive to those you know that have actually suffered under such things. while calling the current income tax rates confiscatory is just plain historical revision. calling some of the lowest income tax rates in the history of the income tax confiscatory is absurd. as much as you rant and rave at RM you are exactly the same just a libertarian. and before you tell me some am I yes I know I am only difference between me and you I don't deny I am a heavy pusher of my ideology and not a completely objective person.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Back in the summer I visited the museum of modern art in Rio De Janeiro; there were maybe 4 or 5 things that I found interesting but they did not inspire me. What inspired me was the rest of the exhibits that I could only describe as rubbish, so I went outside and started poking my camera into all the waste bins just shooting whatever was inside. I now have enough photos of 'rubbish' to start my own exhibition, hell I might even sell a few for a coupla mil!

12. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

1. Your vulgarity doesn't bother your pal fraggle rocker in the least. But boy does he put on his Storm Trooper outfit and exercise his Powerful Authority around these seedy parts if you address his comments of what his wife would say. That gets the Big Man all in a tizzy.

2. You have the gall, the infinite temerity to talk down to anybody else on things grammatical, when you cannot properly punctuate the simplest of words and sentences? How extremely liberal-acting of you.

3. Why don't you look up some of the treacherous, treasonous comments of the Democrats, beginning with Harry Reid and Ted Kennedy. I won't bother. They'll be completely lost on you anyway.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE MODERATORS (I SPEAK FOR ALL OF US) * * * *

Will everyone henceforth please stop proofreading each other's posts? If you can't find anything to criticize except typography, then you haven't really got much to say.

I make a living as an editor and writer, so I could spend my entire day line-editing this entire website. If I can muster the self-control to resist that urge, surely the rest of you can do the same.

Nonetheless, on your behalf, I will make one comment:

Why the heck are so many of you so dadgum lazy that you refuse to use the SHIFT key??? It makes your stuff hard to read. Please take a moment to examine your keyboard. Just to the right of the slash/question mark key there is a really gigantic key labeled SHIFT. If you hold it down while you're typing, your letters will magically come out in CAPITALS. Try it! It's just amazing!

I know these computer thingies are really complicated, so maybe this will help you kids figure them out.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:

16. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

No, you most assuredly do NOT speak for me.

Did you ever in your life defend a conservative who was maliciously attacked by "proofreading" Leftists? If so, please provide the links substantiating your defenses.

Did you ever in your life upbraid a fellow Leftist for not having "much to say"?

You see, Leftists giggle and point fingers day in and day out, calling anyone who doesn't wear one of their brown shirts "stupid" and "ignorant" and worse for the tiniest of things. But evidently turnabout is not fair play in the Lefty Point and Giggle Game.

You make a living on this little slice of heaven? That's good. No, really. I'll bet you ride in a chauffer-driven limousine, right? 10,000 square foot house.
    Vacations in Europe every year....

17. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

This Art thread seems to be off track. I liked all the art shown in the original post and some day my number art will sell for major bucks . Most of you will not understand its value , but the people who pay major money for them in the future will. How about that for faith in something . I believe it . Time will tell

18. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

*golf clap*

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

When I said "all of us," I assumed it was clear that "us" meant the Moderator staff. I apologize if it wasn't.
    A "fellow Leftist"??? I'm a libertarian. I have equal contempt for both the left and the right. Well almost equal. Leftists are often good-hearted, whereas rightists seem more likely to be selfish curmudgeons, but most of the people on both sides don't understand reality. (Neither do my fellow libertarians, for that matter.)

Besides, in general leftists are more articulate and do indeed have more to say, even if it is often just as stoopid as what their opponents say.
    I drive my own six year-old SUV, but since I live in the Washington region I generally ride the subway, except to work, which is up near Baltimore.
    3500, although here my "second primary residence," as the IRS oxymoronically calls it, is a basement studio in a townhouse.
    I've been to Europe once, in 1973. I haven't traveled anywhere in ten years, except home to see my wife in California.

If you're asking if we're prosperous, that changes from year to year because I'm a contractor, but this year we're doing okay. Since we don't have any children we often scratch our heads and wonder why we care so much about the world that the rest of you are leaving to your great-grandchildren (raising the debt ceiling? killing each other over which religion is the most peaceful? exterminating entire species right and left? making people "go to work" everyday, accounting for 1/4 of our petroleum usage, when they all have computers and telephones at home?), but we can't help it.

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Gee, you guys sure know your art, don't cha?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(vain attempt at subtlety)