Arizona Shooting Spree, Congresswoman, judge, among victims...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Jan 8, 2011.

1. milkweed Valued Senior Member

IF and when they find this "person of interest" I will read what is written about the connection. If they turn up, its likely going to turn out to be an "I had no idea, he just asked me for a ride" connection.

Kinda like this:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40709114/ns/us_news-weird_news/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

This issue has no connection with conservative America. Crazy comes in all shapes and sizes.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It is interesting to see Republicans in the House back off the rhetoric. They have indefinately postponed a vote to repeal the Healthcare Reform law passed in 2009 by the Democrats.

Hopefully this will be a lesson. Former House Speaker, Democrat Nancy Pelosi has been warning about this kind of thing for almost a year now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/17/pelosi-warns-of-violence_n_289999.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

It wasn't his interpretation of the constitution that lead to the shooting but his own psychotic reaction. I mean we don't blame the Green Movement for the Unabomber, you're just being paranoid and blaming ideology and political affiliation for this guys craziness.

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

As for the Sheriff I think its kind of sick to politicize the tragedy and then for you to take the names of political pundits out of a hat and blame them for the actions of an unstable person asking them to apologize.

I mean isn't this the same kind of hyperbolic rhetoric you're blaming the pundits for engaging in?:shrug:

At some point Joe you're going to have to stop looking at the US through its Democrat vs Republican divisive paradigm and realize that you're all in this together...sink or swim. You don't foster an environment of cooperation for the common good by using tactics best left to the Republican fringe. Most Tea Party members are just frightened Americans confused about the future of the country, a fear that also runs through the Left. And as usual instead of looking for the real cause behind the nations financial crises you all go around beating each other in the heads while bankers are bailed out and go home blameless. Nice.

This is just another way to keep you all distracted and pointing fingers at each other, playing the blame game, while you all get screwed. What a waste of resourceful energy.

Remember that the wacko pundits are tapping into a rage not the cause of it. Why do you not blame liberals for not having reached out to that confused population and addressing their needs? Where are the grass-roots leaders of the Left?

Noam Chomsky, Tuesday, May 11, 2010 (an excerpt):

On Feb. 18, Joe Stack, a 53-year-old computer engineer, crashed his small plane into a building in Austin, Texas, hitting an IRS office, committing suicide, killing one other person and injuring others.

Stack left an anti-government manifesto explaining his actions. The story begins when he was a teenager living on a pittance in Harrisburg, Pa., near the heart of what was once a great industrial center.

His neighbor, in her ’80s and surviving on cat food, was the “widowed wife of a retired steel worker. Her husband had worked all his life in the steel mills of central Pennsylvania with promises from big business and the union that, for his 30 years of service, he would have a pension and medical care to look forward to in his retirement.

“Instead he was one of the thousands who got nothing because the incompetent mill management and corrupt union (not to mention the government) raided their pension funds and stole their retirement. All she had was Social Security to live on.”

He could have added that the super-rich and their political allies continue to try to take away Social Security, too.

Stack decided that he couldn’t trust big business and would strike out on his own, only to discover that he also couldn’t trust a government that cared nothing about people like him but only about the rich and privileged; or a legal system in which “there are two `interpretations’ for every law, one for the very rich, and one for the rest of us.”...

...In the U.S., the Tea Party movement—and even more so the broader circles it reaches—reflect the spirit of disenchantment. The Tea Party’s anti-tax extremism is not as immediately suicidal as Joe Stack’s protest, but it is suicidal nonetheless.
    Encouraging anti-tax sentiment has long been a staple of business propaganda. People must be indoctrinated to hate and fear the government, for good reasons: Of the existing power systems, the government is the one that in principle, and sometimes in fact, answers to the public and can constrain the depredations of private power.

However, anti-government propaganda must be nuanced. Business of course favors a powerful state that works for multinationals and financial institutions—and even bails them out when they destroy the economy.

But in a brilliant exercise in doublethink, people are led to hate and fear the deficit. That way, business’s cohorts in Washington may agree to cut benefits and entitlements like Social Security (but not bailouts).

At the same time, people should not oppose what is largely creating the deficit—the growing military budget and the hopelessly inefficient privatized healthcare system.

IT IS EASY TO RIDICULE HOW JOE STACK AND OTHERS LIKE HIM ARTICULATE THEIR CONCERNS, BUT IT IS FAR MORE APPROPRIATE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT LIES BEHIND THEIR PERCEPTIONS AND ACTIONS AT A TIME WHEN PEOPLE WITH REAL GRIEVANCES ARE BEING MOBILIZED IN WAYS THAT POSE NO SLIGHT DANGER TO THEMSELVES AND OTHERS.

http://www.zcommunications.org/rustbelt-rage-by-noam-chomsky

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

April 12, 2010

Noam Chomsky, the leading leftwing intellectual, warned last week that fascism may be coming to the United States.

“The level of anger and fear is like nothing I can compare in my lifetime,” he said.

He cited a statistic from a recent poll showing that half the unaffiliated voters say the average tea party member is closer to them than anyone else.

“Ridiculing the tea party shenanigans is a serious error,” Chomsky said.

Their attitudes “are understandable,” he said. “For over 30 years, real incomes have stagnated or declined. This is in large part the consequence of the decision in the 1970s to financialize the economy.”

There is class resentment, he noted. “The bankers, who are primarily responsible for the crisis, are now reveling in record bonuses while official unemployment is around 10 percent and unemployment in the manufacturing sector is at Depression-era levels,” he said.

And Obama is linked to the bankers, Chomsky explained.

“The financial industry preferred Obama to McCain,” he said. “They expected to be rewarded and they were. Then Obama began to criticize greedy bankers and proposed measures to regulate them. And the punishment for this was very swift: They were going to shift their money to the Republicans. So Obama said bankers are “fine guys” and assured the business world: ‘I, like most of the American people, don't begrudge people success or wealth. That is part of the free-market system.’

People see that and are not happy about it.”

He said “the colossal toll of the institutional crimes of state capitalism” is what is fueling “the indignation and rage of those cast aside.”

“People want some answers,” Chomsky said. “They are hearing answers from only one place: Fox, talk radio, and Sarah Palin.”

http://www.progressive.org/wx041210.html

I mean Joe, seriously, WAKE THE FUCK UP!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Uh no. It is not. Two, there is no evidence the sheriff is in any way doing anything political in nature when he says certian individuals need to tone down the political rhetoric.

Using words like kills and symbols like gun sites is over the top for any rational person. Sarah Palin as an example just a few months ago had a gun site aimed at Representative Gifford's name on her web site. That is over the top.
    At some point people need to stop making excuses for the excesses of the American right wing.

It was not that long ago where I engaged in conversations with a certian well known right wing extremist in this forum who refused to say if he was formenting violent over throw of the US government. Ironically, he is a retired member of the US military.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

that is wishful thinking and has no basis in the evidence. the problem with saying there is a coming war is eventually people get tired of waiting. whether you wish to believe it or not the violent rhetoric of conservative pundits did in some way contribute to this tragedy. fire can only be played with for so long before something burns.

and before you mention his alleged left wing political ideology as to why conservative america doesn't play a role remember that we are affected by the actions of those who we oppose as much as those we support. the duality exists.

12. milkweed Valued Senior Member

No. Not political. Emotional.

"Dupnik, who identified himself as a friend of the murdered judge as well as Giffords', said unbalanced people respond to such vitriol, and that Arizona had become a mecca for prejudice and bigotry.

When asked by a reporter how they know that was a cause, he conceded: "You don't."

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ar...Air_Vitriol_Has_Consequences_.php?rssid=20068

Unbalanced people find some illogical justification for their beliefs and actions. If not political rhetoric, its messages in music, or talking dogs (son of sam) or radio beams picked up by their teeth. And if you ban music, black dogs and pull all the teeth out of all the people, unbalanced people will get their messages from goldfish or clouds in the sky or Jesus hisself.

No she didnt. Here is the picture:
    http://yesbuthowever.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Palin 20 Map1.png

This was not some nefarious Manchurian candidate plot put into action by keywords written on Palin's website. This was the actions of a deranged individual who took an existing opportunity to unleash his madness on the country. He did not invoke the Tea Party, Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, Fox news or any of the other right wing rhetoric on his youtube postings, while having a month to put his thoughts into words. The closest he comes to a cause is grammar/illiteracy and the fiat money (the Fed Reserve being a favorite conspiracy theme in several circles). As far as the facebook postings, there is doubt as to whether it is actually his site, or one created when his name became public.

13. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

You mean like the interpretation that the Constitution is a "living document" that can mean anything someone wants, anytime they want?

Anyone who has a real interest in politics has their idea of the proper interpretation of the Constitution.

14. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Oh, horseshit. The kind of people who use Limbaugh's criticism of the government as an excuse for murder are nuts who would be doing violent things no matter what.

15. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Don't retreat! Instead - RELOAD!

16. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Yeah, political slogans that are meant to be witty are totally incitements to violence.

I guess John Kerry should have been shot for treason when he called for "regime change" in America, since that's the term used for invading Iraq and getting rid of Saddam?

17. superstring01 Moderator

Wow! She's been warning that crazy Americans would do crazy things.

I have a few warnings for you too!

--Next year hurricanes will kill Americans on the coast of Florida!
    --There will be a school shooting in the next few years.
    --Americans will die from starvation!

See. We can all make easy to fulfill predictions. Predicting the obvious doesn't mean that Pelosi is right and that "something must be done".

Guess what? In a free society, terrible, horrible things happen. You mourn the dead, but always realize that freedom comes with a grotesque price: sometimes people abuse that freedom. The wrong response is to assume that this pesky freedom stuff should be curtailed (like after 9/11) to prevent bad things from happening, because bad stuff will always happen. You just can't stop it. It's the price we pay for being who we are.

~String

18. milkweed Valued Senior Member

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well sure it possible even likely that the disgusting state of political rhetoric had something to do with setting this clearly schizophrenic man off, the man's logic (suppose we can call it that) was not following of any one parties rhetoric.

20. Bells Staff Member

And in a free society, you get to deal with individuals who are, by every definition, wastes of space on this planet.

The thing is though, no one knows what pushed this guy to do what he did. Is he crazy? Certainly. But at the end of the day politicians and commentators like Palin and co.. both and either side of the political divide, need to understand that there are some crazies out there who may take them at their word. This particular individual may not have or he may have. But we are seeing a spate of crazies crawling out of the woodwork and committing crimes because they're literally buying into the slogans and speeches of pundits on TV and radio who should know better. This individual could very well be just another Richard Poplawski or Scott Roeder who are buying into the scare tactics and propaganda that is intended to shock.

At the end of the day, when you have websites with gun sights drawn on a map and certain individuals named and all the shooting rhetoric that accompanied the campaign in that state, you really shouldn't be surprised if some whack job takes you at your word. And this may very well have been the case again.

If anything good can come out of this tragedy is that it should serve as a check to those who have been spouting hateful and violent vitriole under the guise of free political speech. Although I wouldn't hold my breath. One thing is certain though, this probably won't be the last of such shootings.

21. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

It doesn't appear to be gunsights though.

http://yesbuthowever.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Palin 20 Map1.png

You have Circles, Circles with horizontal lines, Circles with Vertical lines and then there are ones with both. The ones with both do appear like a gunsight, but since the other's don't so I think people are leaping to conclusions.

Palin is also out in the public all the time, and there is a good chance she will run again, and so I really don't think she is trying to suggest to anyone that shooting of candidates is appropriate.

Arthur

22. Bells Staff Member

I need to ask you a question, Arthur.

When are you going to stop apologising and making up excuses?

If I say the sky is blue, are you going to argue and say no, it's not really blue?

At first glance, they look like crosshairs from a gunsight. When the image first went up, that's how it was interpreted. She could have taken it down then when it was generally interpreted that way, but they did not. Now it seems they deny it was ever intended to be that.. but they had ample opportunity to redo the image even after it was widely acknowledged as being crosshairs in the media and the victim last year. But she chose not to. Until now.

The image was removed after the shooting. I wonder why it was, if it was never intended to be gun sights? Why remove it after the shooting? Is it because that's how it was perceived? What do you think Arthur? And if it was never inteded as gun sights, why the hell didn't they take it down earlier when people commented on it as being gun sights? Why wasn't it corrected?

You know Arthur, there was always a point where your defense of Palin was going to reach idiotic proportions. That day is here.

23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they removed it because of all the internet buzz from people like you and Joe claiming it could be interpreted as a gunsight.

Rebecca Mansour, an aide to Mrs Palin, told local radio on Sunday that "we never ever, ever intended it to be gun sights".

Do you think Rebecca is a liar?

Personally I'm not part of Palin's inner circle and so I don't know, but in the absence of proof that that's what they intended, I'm willing to accept her statement.

Why?

Because Palin was and is likely to again be a candidate, and suggesting shooting of candidates is thus not a likely strategy.

Arthur

ps I'm not sure I've ever defended Palin on this or any other forum, what are you speaking of?