Are you there God? ...it's uh, Sciforums.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by spidergoat, Oct 23, 2007.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

VitalOne has agreed to an experiment testing the God hypothesis. The creation of this project is documented here. The origin:

------------------------

So, if either I or Enmos, known atheists, suddenly admit belief in God, sometime after VitalOne declares the prayer to be finished, it will be proof that prayer works. It will also be a miracle. I agree to be receptive of suggestion (not actively working against the prayer), and honest about my beliefs. VitalOne has a good chance. I own a bible, and some Elaine Pagels books about Gnostics. Also one volume of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh's essays on Jesus, and the Book of Morman.

------------------------

Discussion questions:

Couldn't VitalOne pray for all atheists? ...or is that too ambitious?
    How long will it take?
    Should I rename this thread, "The God Delusion...contagious?"
    If it works, is it really proof of God or just very improbable?
    If it works twice, is that doubly improbable?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

How do we know VitalOne will pray? what proof is there?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

How could you all forget the fundamental rule of Christiandom making this test totally obsolete? Thou shalt not test thy God?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

I am a buddhist.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

Are you now? How long have you been a buddhist?

9. draqon Banned Banned

4 years now, but I am still not following the true buddhist ways. I will be fully converted...self-converted by the end of this year.

10. Reiku Banned Banned

Mmmm

Well... why? Enlightment|?

11. draqon Banned Banned

no I am not pure yet in mind.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

Pure?

13. draqon Banned Banned

I have body needs...I have sexual desires, desires of food, desires for chaotical behavior...I must minimize these completely.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

You are human draqon. No amount of trained mind can overcome genetics.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He seems sincere. It's the honor system.

16. draqon Banned Banned

wrong.

17. Reiku Banned Banned

How? Can mind overcome matter so that genetics no longer rule the subconscious? Is that even possible>?

18. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I think this should be interesting but let me bring up the point that Vital also made, and thats that god only helps those who helps themselves, so he now has a wonderful copout, he can say that he prayed for you, but that you didnt convert because you didnt help yourself convert. So in a sence if you are not trying to become a christian you never will become one.

But lets see, Im interested.

19. VitalOne Banned Banned

I don't feel that I'm tempting God "Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah" (Deutronomy 6:16)

Rather I am simply manifesting a desire, just the way Jesus describes to, rather I am testing my own self (I'm not directly asking God to fulfill a desire)

I'll tell you when the manifestation (prayer) has begun, I didn't correctly think out the intention yet

Correct intention destroys craving, desperation, insecurity, the intention has to be highly desirable

Well there will definitely be some effect, just depends on how well I frame the desire and how much concentration I put into it, if it doesn't then I have failed

20. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Good luck then

21. VitalOne Banned Banned

Are you really a BUddhist? I don't think you are...I sincerely believe in Gautama Buddha, but I don't think you do...do you really believe in heaven/hell, Brahmas, ghosts, devas, spirits, reincarnation, reality is an illusion, faith in Gautama Buddha is good, the effect of karma?

Anyway regardless of if you really are a Buddhist I suggest the fastest path to full perfection in this lifetime is to destroy all your insecurities, develop a high concentration ability (there's this book called the Power of Concentration with good exercises in it), and maintain constant rememberance that all problems simply exist as feelings, impulses, etc...and nothing more

I am sincere, but I have one question, what exactly am I manifesting? Is it that you all should "fully believe that God really exists"? I have to get the correct intention down

Oh yeah there should be some type of deadline for results, I say give it at least one month from when I start the manifestation...is that ok?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Pray that God turns me on to your logic system, so I will realize the error of my atheistic ways, and believe.

23. draqon Banned Banned

so who is it who is supposed to pray for who?