Are you racist? You can change!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by S.A.M., Nov 5, 2007.

?

Are you a racist?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. Abstain

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Some other opinion

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Good, please select the relevant poll option.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have seen very few Americans, but more Asians in my life.
    Asian girls are cute.

Haven't seen an indian in real life, only in films.

Fat people are slow and bad to take with you hiking, because they tire so fast. I prefer slimer people, they're also nicer on touch.

How many great female scientists can you name? Generally men have more methodological and logic based minds, women generally are more emotional.

Gays and lesbians are as nice as anyone else, but gays are repulsive when they try to hit on me.

Females are naturally the caretakers of the young while males are the main providers of food and security, even among gorillas, chimps and wolves.

Huh?

Humm, one of the first fairy tale books I read was 1000 and 1 Arabian nights,
    everything starting with abdul, mahmud, and with ibn inside probably is Arab

ok...

Everyone knows how Bush looks!

That's my speciality

Me too, African faces look too different, I tend to like that which I understand.
    Besides all our cultural beauty standarts are of our own culture.
    Naturally I like faces of white girls a lot, lot more.

Sure, nobody wants to be old.

Darker skin is more exotic.

So the point of these tests is exactly what?
    Seems political not anthropological.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a test of cognitive association.

Validity debates:

http://faculty.washington.edu/agg/iat_validity.htm

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

From observations of the real world rather than tests where people either do what is expected of them or deliberately do the opposite, there are two groups of people. Racists and liars. Some of the most racist people I have come across are black people, against asians. It is hot-wired into us to fear everything that is different and more recently, to fear anyone who believes differently. We can overcome it which is how we live together in societies.

It is crazy to say that you come from a certain place so you must be A, B and C. But having said that, there are racial and country stereotypes which do fit many people. Regional accents, tastes, certain behaviours and such.

Certain groups can alienate themselves. Britain is building up to a backlash because too many immigrants are entering into that small country and will continue to do so.

25 years ago if you had asked the average non-muslim about muslims, they would have had little opinion or little interest. Since then we have found out that an average (US & UK surveys) of 1 in 4 muslims think violence and terrorism is OK to achieve certain ends so we have islamophobia. We do not have christianophobia, hinduophobia, etc. People fear muslims because of the opinions of many of them and the behaviour of some of them. Fear turns to hate and there will be a backlash if muslims do not change their ways.

The biggest problem in society is that certain subjects are taboo so we cannot discuss them and sort them out. A white person dares to criticise a black person and is a racist and automatically censored. Watch blacks in a recent Hollywood film and you hear the N word all the time. Recently, people in the UK were treated to a BLACK footballer telling another BLACK man that he was a monkey and should "go home".

Can racism ever be sorted out if we cannot have an adult debate on it without people trying to censor it as soon as the first hard truth is brought up?

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

sam, I understand it, but I think the tests are useless in telling whether one is a racist or not, because there can be many other reasons to test either way.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Excellent example of associative thinking

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. John99 Banned Banned

This is like from the 1950s but CGI...whooppeee.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps they are still new? However, they have been used to predict behaviour...

...and may have legal implications in the future.

Perhaps as a lawyer, this may interest you?

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/12.16/09-prejudice.html

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its called internalising prejudice and is a common effect of long term ostracism and imposed class hierarchy.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1610770&postcount=22

13. John99 Banned Banned

SAM, the most ostracised people are done so by their own kind, as faR AS APPEARANCE GOES, there are examples all oveer the world. How would you account for that? And there is also class hierarchy present.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes, behaviour, but is it racist?
    Theoretically, would I be racist, if I prefered Latvian girls to Kenyan (actually I like Lithuanian most)?

Would I be somehow bad if I prefered to live in a community that is of my own culture rather than some strange and alien farawayland culture?

If I prefer slim people to fat ones in my hiking teams, is my bias unfounded and wrong?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you think it is?

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't know, I ask you according to your views.
    I'm rational, I don't think political. Politics say that preference of one race over another is bad.

18. John99 Banned Banned

So then what would looking at different colors of people on a computer screen tell us?

The link you referanced and its subject has much more involved than race and reace is not even a factor, thats what i said anyway. So the real issue\problem, in mnany cases, is people being taken advantage of by their own type, wouldnt you agree?

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Imho, people are brainwashed into believing and living in a fantasy world where everyone is equal and the same in everything. Well, it isn't so.

The differences in men and women physiology and psychology are radical and natural.
    Africans generally are natrually better athletes, but are also generally more violent because of both biological and environmental factors, while northen people for similar reasons are calmer and better work together in a society, but are more tended towards suicide.

Statements which say otherwise are political or uninformed.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ok then rationally speaking there are different categories of what I will call "biases"

e.g.there is

1. prejudice: Interpersonal direct hostility, animosity or exclusivism that is directed against individuals from a perspective of ignorance of the subject person or persons in question; usually directed with an intent to broaden or further one's own racial or tribal influence in the world.

2. discrimination: Discrimination is a behaviour (an action), with reference to unequal treatment of people because they are members of a particular group.

3. stereotypes: Stereotypes are generalizations about groups and individual members thereof, based primarily on membership in that group.

4. bias: A bias is a prejudice in a general or specific sense, usually in the sense for having a preference to one particular point of view or ideological perspective.

Over and above all this is intent.

i.e. does your bias, prejudice, discrimination and stereotyping affect your views or power of judgement so that they are subjective rather than neutral or objective? Do you tend to fall into confirmation bias patterns in your thinking? If you are using associative thinking as a basis for your views then you may be subject to a priori views, such that anyone holding a contrary view is immediately viewed as suspect.

These are just some ideas to mull over.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Excellent. Now read my post and refer to your ^^^ post.

22. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Where is your evidence?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Most discrimination is unthought out and is unintentional.