Are you racist? You can change!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by S.A.M., Nov 5, 2007.

?

Are you a racist?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. Abstain

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Some other opinion

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Interesting test, but it smells a bit like preconditioning by placing the "white-good" axis first: a local conditioning of response. Placing the "white-good" axis first in the test would locally reinforce tribalist responses for Europeans, but disrupt them for African-Americans. I don't think much of the test; but then, that's sociology for you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

# Could the result be a function of the order in which I did the two parts? I had to group one category together with pleasant words first. I then found it difficult when I later had to group the other category with pleasant words.

Answer: The order in which tests are administered does make a difference to the overall result in some tests. However, the difference is small and recent changes to the test have sharply reduced the influence of order. Because of this order effect, the orders used for IATs presented on this website are assigned at random. For any data we present, we are careful to be sure that half the test-takers got the A then B order and the other half got the B then A order. With the revised task design, the order has only a minimal influence on task performance. If you want to check whether the order made a difference for you, you can take the test again and complete it if you get assigned to the reverse order. If you do take the test twice in different orders and get different outcomes, the best estimate of your result is intermediate between the two. For more information about the order effect, see this paper (Nosek, Greenwald, & Banaji, in press).
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/background/faqs.html#faq1

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

Anyone with moderate to high intelligence would know that skin color does not determine who is racist. Because wouldn't that assumption be racist itself?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sniffy Banned Banned

J99 Why don't you tell us the answer as you are the one assuming moderate to high intelligence?

8. John99 Banned Banned

What answer?

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, I took it twice and got the same order both times. And how slight is slight? I'd bet that SEs on assignment are huge in the African-American group because of the smaller sample size, which might bias comparison with zero. Is there no statement about prevailing African-American attitudes?

10. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

I got the same order as well. So I learned how to take the test in that order then it was swapped.

11. Atom Registered Senior Member

<< e.g. it has been seen that people who associate more closely with diverse groups are less likely to discriminate. >>

Hence the well known maxim "travel broadens the mind".

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you can try out a few times and only take the test again if the order is different in the first one; that may help you to compare. Di you get the same result both times?

13. Atom Registered Senior Member

Oh there are ALWAYS design flaws.

I seem to recall some other test being dismissed because most people are right handed and on balance they tend to click on the right hand option whilst left handers click on the left hand.

It might be a good idea to devise a test on the shortcomings of tests.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm always curious about how many people lie on such tests ...just to try to get the results that they want?

I mean, think about it, people lie now as much or more than they tell the truth in real life, why wouldn't they lie on these silly-assed tests?

Baron Max

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

"Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

The online test states I have a preference for European Americans. The poll of this thread is asking if the test shows that I hate people of other races.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Take the test and tell me.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Definitions:

Association and preference

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I get that. My question is, how do the test results indicate if I hate or don't hate people of other races?

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It says that I'm the most wonderful human on Earth ...that I'm compassionate and understanding of others ...that I'm not racist in the slightest degree. And it repeats again about how wonderful I am.

Baron Max

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Since your preference is moderate I wouldn't worry about it.

Its actually a test on association rather than preference.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

shorty: I suggest you don't divert the topic away from the OP.

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Well then I just selected 'some other opinion' in the poll... which basically means the data doesn't appear to give a clear answer.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No problem, its your choice what poll option you feel best suits your perceived outlook.