Are you racist? You can change!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by S.A.M., Nov 5, 2007.

?

Are you a racist?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. Abstain

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Some other opinion

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Atom Registered Senior Member

I'm not Racist..I just can't stand humans.

<< strokes kitten >>

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sniffy Banned Banned

That makes you a racist as you hate the human race.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Atom Registered Senior Member

At least I believe in Equality

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

....with me as Leader of the World.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DeepThought Banned Banned

Sniffy,

How is objecting to being told how to think 'trolling up race hatred'?

You think that reducing humans to words and pictures in some windowless laboratory is somehow 'getting at the truth' of our world?

A black American woman once said to me in online debate, "white people need to learn that they are not wanted by black people". She went on to explain that whites have forced themselves onto black people who never wanted to live with them nor invited them.

Your psychologist would simply respond to her: "Your data suggests a strong automatic preference for African American compared to European American".

The culture behind this test implicitly accepts colonialism and slavery as positive historical events when a balanced inquiry would demonstrate that neither were.

8. sniffy Banned Banned

Deepthought
    Wasn't it you who said people should 'take the rose coloured blinkers off'? So when you tell others what to do it is acceptable but no-one should ever tell you what to do. Hmmm.

You try to paint everyone with the same brush but people are individuals. Ergo those who want top stick with the same kind, do so. Those who like some variety in their lives seek it out. This is no big deal.

Who the hell, apart from the BNP the ku and their ilk, implies that colonialism and slavery (both of which still exists BTW) were positive historical events? They were historical events so nothing we can do today can change the fact that they happened.

9. Zyxoas Registered Senior Member

Apparently my data suggests a strong automatic preference for "European Americans" over "African Americans." :shrug:

Did anyone else notice how ugly the people in the pictures were!? They also looked quite sad, too...

10. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

The politically-correct begin with the premiss that everyone is equal. Note: they don't only believe in equality for philosophic reasons to the extent that everyone should be equal under the law, but that everyone is actually equal. Any data or suggestion that they might not be is therefore void ab initio - rendering critical examination of the matter utterly superfluous. This mindset is firmly seated in the same lizard brain that keeps religion a-rollin' on and on and on.

So - everyone is equal. Therefore, naturally, any sub-grouping of humans must also automatically be equal; except, of course, those who disagree with them, like 'racists' - whose IQs, dontcha know, are inferior. It's all rather amusing. IceAgeCivilisations, at least, had a sense of humour.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  11. sniffy Banned Banned

LH What do you propose doing with those who are not 'equal' to you? it is the answer to this that makes your 'politics' questionable or otherwise.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Well i have to say this. From a psychological standpoint i bel;ieve thje OP may in fact be a passive racist. At the very least a passive preferentialist.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Talk about the Stepford Wives.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. sniffy Banned Banned

:roflmao: :cheers:

15. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

It must be awfully hard for you to chose your friends - since everyone in the world is precisely equal and valuable. Do you assign numbers and draw them from a hat? Wait for them to physically bump into you? I am really rather curious.

16. sniffy Banned Banned

I gotta lotta friends. How many you got looking down here on the rest of us?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Having a preference for someone is not the same as discriminating against someone.

18. sniffy Banned Banned

But deciding that everyone who looks the same has the same characteristics because their skin is the same colour is.

19. John99 Banned Banned

That is the problem, you only think that way when the ball is on your side of the court. And it is NOT against someone BUT against a group. So you are saying it is fine to prefer a specific group based on appearance - primarily skin tone? Then when does it become racial?

Is it only when white people feel this way, because it seems to me that is what you are saying.

20. DeepThought Banned Banned

So what is the point of this experiment?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is just an experiment to show how people are under the control of their primitive psychological impulses; as explained in the OP, the people most likely to feel racism are those who are most under the associative influence; ie they carry over associations from one experience to all similar experiences. It is a good exercise for people to understand how their mind works because then they can recognise what determines their interaction with people.

e.g. it has been seen that people who associate more closely with diverse groups are less likely to discriminate. That is because closer associations with diversity reduce prejudice; when group think prevails ie. people form groups within groups they are more likely to favor or disfavor based on group think. That is why racists, for example are more likely to form select groups than non-racists, who are likely to be more assimilated and less vulnerable to group philosophy.

That means that associating with groups that promote racism is likely to increase and intensify your racism, since you will absorb the associations of the group, just as associating with diverse groups will decrease your racism, as you will absorb the associations of those groups. Since only 7% of people are free from associative thinking of this kind, it is a valuable lesson for those who wish to change their outlook.

22. John99 Banned Banned

Good question.

23. sniffy Banned Banned

Good answer.