Are You Living in a Computer Simulation?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Magical Realist, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I.e. the information that should have been there from the start.

Because, quite simply, you were wrong.

Hardly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

You're on a roll...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nobody Suspended Indefinitely Registered Senior Member

Nice comeback

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

I think it's possible.

And if we are not already, may be we will soon do so.

8. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

We can say we evolved from bacteria to high complex thinking human beings. If we continue to evolve. Wouldent it be possible for us to continue to evolve untill we reach a point where its more favourable for us to just create matter in dream-like reality systems?

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

In the year 4038, one of the younger Subcomputers came across the posts in sciforums, and thought it would be amusing to reconstruct the world in which they were made and the people who made them.

Have you never noticed that all you seem to be doing is looking at sciforums.
    Stop posting and you won't exist any more.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. markl323 Registered Senior Member

you can never tell whether or not you are in a "Matrix."

11. hardalee Registered Senior Member

According to Ray Kurzweil, author of "The Age of Spritual Machines", yes.

He quotes the projected year as 2099 in his time line.

12. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Tell that who are dying from starvation every day. You can simply say to them, don't worry man, you're just a simulation, your entire life and death are both simulations, you being thirsty and starved to death is simulation, your life is useless and meaningless.
    Honestly speaking if you tell this to these starving people, they would kill you or me or anybody else who is telling them they are simulations.
    This is pointless as saying-do you love your parents? Yes, I do. Prove it!
    Again meaningless.

13. Pineal Banned Banned

Why would they not have to worry if it is a simulation? If it is simulation, they are still suffering. And if they die in the simulation, perhaps that is a real death - whether they are simply portions of the simulation or hooked up to it like in the movie, it may still be a real death. I suppose if the person you are responding to thinks it is a simulation and because of this we should all relax, your response makes sense, but otherwise it seems misplaced.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The point you raise, just proves that the system we exist within is nonsensical. After all if it was proven to be a Emulation and it was proven that any volume of area could be scrutinised at a nano level from within it's own source code, such concepts as War, Money, Disease, Starvation and Death would all be completely pointless because all of them would not need to exist.

The problem is however there are certain people in our world (often referred to as sociopath's) that believe their entire existence requires any, some or all of these concepts to exist, whereby they enforce their will on others to grant themselves "Power".

In essence what I am saying is that if everything negative was an easy fix for an emulated universe, there would still be individuals trying to undermine those fixes for their selfish personal gains.

15. Gravage Registered Senior Member

I've been sarcastic. The fact is I actually know what is like to starve to death, unlike many other people, who have died from it, I managed to survive (I was like a living skeleton, I lost 40 kg just like that), I was extremely lucky. Because of this experience the whole thing "the universe is a simulation" is meaningless, and there is no way the hunger I've been felt and dying in horrible pain are a simulation. Trust me, you don't want to try this.
    Cheers.

16. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Yes, you nailed it, that's the point.

17. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Its possible life and death would be constructs to assign meaning to reality and to create order. To think of reality without death is to negate life experiences to null and it would create alot of disorder if death did not exist. It would be needed for any simulation certain values in the code that needs this variable for its application. Replication of dna makes life and death meaningless on a broad scope and just a concern for indivisual focal points in there examination of what is being inferred

18. markl323 Registered Senior Member

i never claimed we live in simulation. i said we can never tell whether or not we are in one. and you are taking this out of context.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  19. markl323 Registered Senior Member

don't be too sure. all your feelings are nothing but electrical signals sent to and interpreted by your brain. if future supercomputers are powerful enough, in theory, they would be able to generate these signals. if someone severs all the nerves going to your brain and connects them to these signal generating supercomputers, how would you know? you wouldn't.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  20. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Why don't you starve to death to prove your point? Feeling of death is real as the death itself, this is not simulation, and the fact is none has ever returned from death. No supercomputer can generate these signals or ever will. We're from different structure after all. after all no super-computer says ouchh, or feels pain. Please, stop with this non-sense, it becomes pseudo-scientific. Like starve to death if you're so sure, when you starve to death, nothing else matters just the hope you will survive somehow. I did know the girl who had no feeling of pain and heat, although these cases are extremely rare, they can happen. The girl died because there were no electrical signals in her brain to show her how is dangerous and lethal is to be without the feeling/signals of pain and heat. So, yes this is real.

21. hardalee Registered Senior Member

Thread is not going well.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  22. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Subtract the emotional investment and examine your statement more closer. Your friend died because she could not feel tempature because of "electrical signals" that function internally from external stimuli coming in.

Similarily death is the lack of these electrical signals, period. You keep talking about starving. These all could be possible values that have a range of possibilities to maintain order in the system. Read stryders post to you.

Suppose for a second we did live in a world were death or any handicap did not exist. Our realities, simulations, lives, emulation to the simulation whatever is relative to one another. The world will be over populated, utterly in chaos and controlled by those who wish to exploit such a world.

Human beings die but not humanity suppose this was a simulation and somewhere you can access different focal points, memory banks (or lack of) and see if you got a fighting chance to do or peform like others viewing favorable predetermined states or some shit.

?

Im not saying I believe the world is a simulation but death is not so much an obstruction in the conceptualization of such a simulation. Didnt you learn anything from the matrix, at all??

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  23. markl323 Registered Senior Member

and dying is the only way to prove my point? doesn't make a lot of sense.

not really.

it's obvious that you don't understand a certain aspect of the brain.

normally, the only reason you can see someone is because the light reflected off of their body comes in contact with your eyes, the image of the person is then converted to electrical signals and sent to the brain. when the signals of the person stop arriving to the brain, the person disappears from your view. the same mechanism applies to all of your other senses (hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc.). everything the brain experiences comes in the form of electrical signals. EVERYTHING.

so if you are in a simulation in which your real brain is connected to a supercomputer, all it takes for a dead person to stay gone is for the computer to never generate that person's signals again. similarly, if the computer wants you dead, it simply stops sending signals to your brain and you will be dead in the simulation. and you will stay dead as long as the computer wants.

since human brain perceives the world around it via electrical signals arriving to the brain, it is impossible for anyone to prove that their brain isn't hooked up to a signal generating supercomputer. you may say that when you wrap your hands around your head, you don't feel any cable hooking up to your skull. but if the computer hid the cable by not sending your brain the signals that describe the cable, how would you know? your arms, your legs, your whole body may not even be real, they may be just an illusion.

you can see the future? 10,000 years ago who would have thought the human race would one day be able to fly higher than the birds?

i don't see a good reason for bringing emotional stories into this discussion. this is a science forums and it is certainly appropriate to talk about these theories without sounding inhumane. i don't recall seeing anyone protesting The Matrix at the movie theaters.