Are you an introvert or extrovert?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Jun 7, 2019.

1. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I'm definitely an introvert. But I am also a musician and have no problems getting up on a stage and performing.

I can enjoy and even look forward to a party. But once I am there, I may find a quiet to corner to retreat to now and again.

wegs likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Definitely.

I'm an introvert but have no trouble making a ham of myself in front of lots of people.

Being an introvert does not exclude outgoing or sociable behavior.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My parents were opposites. Dad was an extrovert who liked going out and being with people, meeting strangers, telling people everything he knew, etc. Mom got nervous in crowds and only felt comfortable within her own family. (Mind you, she had seven sisters and four brothers.)

I'm a mixture of the two. I'm uncomfortable with strangers but I can talk to people as if I've known them forever.

The Internet makes it easier for us to be both at once.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

My wife and I are opposites. INTP/ESFJ. It has caused problems now and then. But a little give and take and a little understanding where the other is coming from gets us through it.

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I think this has been my misconception. That I assumed because I enjoy being outgoing and social, that perhaps I was extroverted. But...after discussing this, I’m likely more of an introvert.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Going out with coworkers and other friends tonight, and it should be fun but I’m also not feeling it. :/

They all “recharge” this way and I’m just

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You're an introvert...

wegs likes this.
  11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Sooo...I had a great time out tonight! (despite not ''feeling it'' earlier) I just loved having some wine with friends...dancing, laughing and hugs. It was funny because after a glass or two? of wine, I started asking how people viewed themselves - as introverted or extroverted? They all labeled me an ''extrovert.'' lol

I think that many people mistake (as I did), being gregarious in certain circumstances, as extroverted. It was a fun exercise, though.

Or, was it the wine? Hmm.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Historically INTJ on that pop psych scale - consistently, peg the meter, all my life. Haven't checked for a few years, though.

We get stage depression, instead of stage fright.

13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Autism(spectrum...)
    ... ?

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Definitely an introvert, here.

But on the other hand, I have always liked speaking or otherwise performing in front of groups of people (would have no problem with a stadium full, if it ever came to that!)

Being introverted tends to mean that you have a small number of close confidants rather than a lot of casual friends. When you're with people you're comfortable with, you can easily come across as extroverted.

I agree with the "recharging" test that other people have mentioned above.

As for Myers-Briggs, I test either as an INTJ or INFJ, depending, I think, on how I'm feeling at the time. I like to think that that "F" tendency takes a little of the hard edge off the "scientist/engineer/systematiser" profile that is INTJ, and adds in a little bit of diplomat/carer etc.

wegs likes this.
  15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Or, maybe you actually like your co-workers?

wegs likes this.
  16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I like them but I would say being in a work setting, tends to create some tensions at times. It's probably a good idea now and again, to hang out with coworkers in a social setting, as it breaks those tensions down.

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

eewwww !

old data, 80% of married couples meet in the work place.
    or...
    does it help pattern in the concept that your co-workers are human and should be dealt with using empathy rather than psychopathic competition ?
    ...old world patriarchal office social culture.

18. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

... does it not seem potentially obvious that the system "Myers-Briggs" was written for male personalites ... ?
    "what do i choose if i am a housewife ?"

"uumm... well you can feel self validated if you choose systematiser because you like to make order of things around the home when your barefoot & pregnant" ...

"oh yes more please! i love it when i keep things nice and orderly in the home"
    "men just dont know what they are missing!"

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't know. Do you think there's an implied hierarchy of types in Myers-Briggs?

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

How so?

[EDIT] Oh, I see. You are being skeptical. You're seeing RS as seeing a hierarchy.

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Not a hierarchy imo, but I'd say the Myers-Briggs assessment sort of presents a stereo type of male and female personality traits.

Upon some reflection, I see myself in a few of these blocks, a blend of traits.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Stereotype how?

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've read articles that discuss how women and men express themselves differently, thus certain traits will be more dominant for men and women. These articles present findings that ''conclude'' men are more likely to be considered ''thinkers,'' while women are considered ''feelers.'' Stereotypes.