are you a pack rat?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by leopold, Mar 4, 2007.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

(LOUISVILLE) -- It was one of the most bizarre scenes neighbors had ever witnessed after Jefferson County Sheriffs Deputies evicted a tenant they could only describe as a "pack rat." He left behind tons of trash that had to be piled up on Cherokee Road in the Highlands.

An estimated 35,000 pounds of trash in front of and behind 1304 Cherokee Road. There was so much of it you could see it from the air. And it all came from inside a small second floor apartment. Jefferson County Sheriffs Deputies evicted the resident Monday for not paying rent.
    http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=6154725

that's 15 tons of stuff folks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I had a cousin whose mother died and she lived like this as well. They say that when you walked through her house, it was through narrow passages between all of her "stuff". Like walking through snow-drifts.

This is a genetic disorder. Like what squirrels do. I think consumerism is popular the world over because it is to our evolutionary advantage to hoard resources. When you live in an age of plenty, that natural tendency results in some unnatural-seeming behavior.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. analbeads "loosen up" Registered Senior Member

And also in a lot of cases, it can be an elderly person who won't get rid of something unless they know someone who can "use" it. I've taken things that my grandmother has offered over the years, just because I know otherwise she won't get rid of it. And then I donate it to charity. Or, if it's nasty, I'll throw it out or try to recycle it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.