Are women in competition for men?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by makeshift, Aug 31, 2006.

1. makeshift Registered Senior Member

In most animals it seems, males play the "high risk, high reward" strategy. This is because males have large quantities of inexpensive sperm. Therefore they can potentially inseminate lots of females and have a lot more offspring than females.

Females are the prize holders. It's a near guarantee that their eggs are going to be fertilized; it's only a matter of getting the best male to do it and getting the best deal (selecting males that have territory, status or only copulating after the male builds a nest). So the females don't have to compete. They tend to be dull, drab colors. Males however, do. Their colors are bright, their behavior ostentatious, even at the expense of being more attractive to predators.

The point is, the males do a lot to be attractive to females. But with humans, it seems to be the other way around, doesn't it? Women, especially in the modern western world paint their faces, starve themselves, have plastic surgery, etc. all to be more attractive to males. Why the difference?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

This is male myth

why you men won't accept the truth from the horses mouths I will never know, women reiterate this fact over and over.

We make ourselves attractive to COMPETE with other females,

When we dress we generally have other women in mind and their reaction/opinion/opposition is a deciding factor. Also anticpating hwat other women will be wearing. Why else do you think women call their friends on a night out to see what they are wearing? Women check each other out ALL the time!

Women only ask their mans opinion of how they look if he's the only one around to cast an opinion!

I thought when I read the thread title you had grasped this fact, how disappointing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Exhibit no.1

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

Muslim is really strange, why would he post pictures of himself like that, who cares! Anyways I think woman are conditioned to think makeup is attractive, or that certain things make them more desirable. I myself find a woman that looks messy, has no makeup, and basically is cute to be even more fun / desirable then the other.

Besides all this makeup is really just poison, over time the chemicals will just cause woman problems. They're so desperate for love they'll do anything, including surgery. Watch the film BLISS, it tells all.

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Hence you are still a virgin at 25, you have ZERO clue about what women think.

Women are quite cruel to other women who have 'less' than them, smaller breasts, less attractive, cheap out of date clothes etc. It's a war out there. Women compete with other women whether it be makeup/clothes/surgery.
    Finito.

Muslim posted pics of himself as he wanted to address the women folk and endear himself to them. Looks do have a way of reducing antagonism if pleasing to the eye. He has nice looks, doesn't make him any less a masoganist though and thus unattractive as far as I am concerned. One hopes as he matures he learns to lose his early conditoning re women and attitudes towards them and becomes a nice decent chap. He has time on his side.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

ad hominem.

10. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

It's exactly like it is with other animals. Men are always competing for women, not the other way around. ANY women can go get impregnated at ANY time, there are very few exceptions to that. My theory: men inherently crave sex, far more than women. Women are inherently compelled to have strong feelings toward their own children. They also inherently loose interest faster than men, for the purpose that they have to relinquish their inherent attachment to their children. I'm not the only one to make these conclusions am I?

11. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

no

perhaps you should google sex drives and why they differ

a male biased site for you:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/malesexualresponse.htm

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

http://psych.fullerton.edu/rlippa/sexdrive.htm

A great article on sex drives and same sex attraction

"A brief description of the study and some newer, related data:

The higher women’s sex drive, the more they desire both sexes. However, the higher men’s sex drive, the more they desire either one sex or the other: High sex drive heterosexual men desire women strongly, but not men, whereas high sex drive gay men desire men strongly, but not women. These are some of the findings presented in a new study by psychology professor Richard A. Lippa, which was published in the January 2006 issue of Psychological Science. Other analyses of Lippa’s data showed that heterosexual women are 27 times more likely than heterosexual men to express moderate or more attraction to their own sex.

For most men, a higher sex drive simply intensifies their existing sexual orientation, Lippa said. “It’s a common sense view that heterosexual men with high sex drives are very interested in women and gay men with high sex drives are super attracted to men. The unexpected result of this study is that it suggests that women are more intrinsically bisexual. Men tend to be either-or (heterosexual or gay), but women have more shades of gray.”

Lippa, author of the 2005 book Gender, Nature, and Nurture and a prominent gender researcher, said that new unpublished data from a recent BBC Internet survey of over 200,000 people shows “there probably is a biological something going on here,” because the results presented in his Psychological Science study replicated across many different world regions and countries, including Western Europe, Latin America, Australia, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Singapore. Lippa observed that “these findings suggest that sexual orientation is fundamentally different in men and women. It almost seems that in most women, there is a latent bisexuality and that high sex drive energizes it.” "

13. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Did I somehow come off as being biased? I'm sorry. To my best knowledge and resources, those are almost unvarient observations. Perhaps it's impossible to be unbiased, as I am looking from my own perspective. Also, a couple of books that have a lot on the behavoir of men and women(albeit from childhood): Reviving Ophelia-Mary Pipher; and Real Boys- William Pollack.

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

no you didn't come off as biased, the site I found just was slightly.

Men are traditionally more sex driven than women, and were I not very highly sexed myself presently I would agree and did indeed in the past when my sex drive was smaller, but now I feel I am on a par with men. Maybe it's something in my diet?

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

this is the myth, we don't wear make up to seduce, first we wear it as we think we look like shit without it, so it's about insecurity and disatisfaction with our 'natural' looks and zip to do with seduction. Media pressure to look a certain way is very instrumental etc etc.

Clothes and lack there of, depends what sexual mode you are in and again all about confidence. Confident sexual predators do not need the teeny/skimpy clothing. Those that wear skimpy clothing do so by way of a mask to hide insecurity and to fake confidence OR to demonstrate POWER. Much akin to men who buy flash sports cars and wear jewellery.

It's all about making oneself appear something different to ones true self, but also to appear the same or better than others.

Dressing seductively and having men captivated and having women 'envious' is power.

Seduction clothes are for the bedroom, fun. Women are the true predators in that arena.

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Women who wear too much make-up, dress and act overtly provocative usually just end up being revolting.

To be really seductive, the first thing is to maintain eye contact and slow down your movements. A quiet lumious inner beauty is never forced.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  17. Roman Banned Banned

Of course women compete for men. As an animal, one wants the best possible offspring, so looks for the most desirable mate. It's not like women just lie around waiting to get impregnated by some guy. No no no.

Has anyone ever heard the phrase "why are all the good ones taken?" Eh? Eh?

I read that a woman's sex drive really kicks in around her 30's.

18. makeshift Registered Senior Member

Tor: (You ought to change your name to Tor. Sounds cooler; kinda like Thor.)

Anyway, you make the point that women do indeed compete with each other. But you say they do it to compensate for their insecurities? They dress up pretty to compete with each other? Why don't men do this?

Like you said, women are competing with each other, which I agree with. But I think they're clearly competing with each other for alpha female so they can get an alpha male.

In nature females are the prize holders and the males are the ones who persue their prize. Maybe in the case of humans, the roles have been switched. A reason for this could be the advent of money. Men, being dominant end up owning everything, all the property and the money in the world. So suddenly with civilization, men become the prize holders, having what women want, just like in nature where females have what the males want.

Those women who appealed to men unionized with them and had children. Those that didn't, didn't. Culture automatically reacted to this inequality and makeup and looking good and subserviance became to be expected of women. Because of money.

Btw Tor, I can now see why you changed your signature from "Ad Hom police." Flaming is too tempting, isn't it.

19. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I also said it's about power, and men do do this also, I mentioned sports cars?

Nope, sorry. I know it really sucks to think all this dress up has so little to do with 'pulling' but its' true. Although, I am forgetting my age! Young women in teens wrongly think a tarty look will nab them a boyfriend, when generally it will just nab them a lay. You men remain old fashioned, you want a lady in public and a hoare in the bedroom. I am in agreement with this. No need to advertise what takes place in private.

Myself I try to look glamorous when out with the girls but not TOO nice as other women get jealous and that just spoils my evening. But on the other hand I want to look better than them, so how do I get this balance? Well several changes later and trying to reduce clevage on display I generally manage.

The other night when out with bf I had no less than two diff. women approach me to compliment my clothes and ask me where I bought them. This is not uncommon for me. BF was gobsmacked though. He has never exprienced this though someone stopped him to ask about his car recently.

I have had women tugging at my hair in girls loo's too, admiring the 'effect' I created.

All the compliments when out are from women. Usually lots of 'mutual grooming' displays going on in the loo's. Consider how this behaviour is mirrored by chimps? hmmmmmmmm

lol

I named myself 'Theoryofrelativity' as I am greatly misunderstood

Ad Hom is not flaming hence I removed it, too many people don't actually know what ad hom is especially those accusing me of it! So after giving Q a lesson in Ad hom I changed it, I change it often

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

You forgot to mention the soft sheen of the fleshtones there...nylons?

It also looks as if shes wearing some kind of wrap around skirt, which occaisonally provides a brief glimpse of her most intimate secrets!

"Of course the sexual significance of the wheelbarrow is as undeniable as that of the pitchfork!" -Salvador Dali.

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I really like Dali's 'I'm clearly on drugs' style of art, not that this pic is one of those, the pitch fork is a recurring theme though.

(you forgot to mention the basket of 'fruit')

22. Carcano Valued Senior Member

"I'm not on drugs...I am drugs!" -Dali.

23. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Humans are bad at sex. They are horrible at choosing mates, thus the world is shaped in the way it is and the future can only get worse, until humans learn to choose their mate based on whats inside and not on physical appearance.