Are we relly using the human brain to only 4%

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by cool slayer, Jan 16, 2004.

1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think it's an optimistic estimate.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

If one says that he uses only 1% of his brain, is he bragging or stupid?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That is actually a good question. I guess it depends on who is saying it...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

How would he know?

8. silversun Registered Member

closed minds=low brain usage

It saddens me to think there are people out there who actually think that THIS is all there is to being human. why would we NOT evolve further unless killing each other, disease and starvation are all we have to look forward to. so many young people today see their path (born, educated, get a job, buy stuff, marry someone, raise a family, die) as routine and boring. the excitement of life is missing in that equation, the expansion of knowledge and the growth of wisdom. when we accept limitations we get limitations and when we accept freedom, we get freedom. the more freedom we choose the more brain we will use and the greater the rate of our evolution. do not limit yourself to only 5 senses- they serve the purpose of limited awareness and sophmoric minds- but allow yourself to find the others we were given: those of UNlimited awareness. love and Light to you all.

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

Neurons which are not used atrophy and die, rather quickly unfortunately. This mainly happens during gestation when significant numbers of unused neurons die off to make room for the ones in use.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0004-282X2004000600005&script=sci_arttext

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am curious as to what you mean by 'evolve further'. It implies a direction to our evolution. It implies we represent some sort of (current) pinnacle. Perhaps I misunderstand you, which is why I am seeking clarification.

11. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Why would anyone, who believed in evolution, believe for a moment that humans were utilising only 4% of the capacity of any bodily organ? (Of course, there may be organs that we use for less than 4% of the time!)

12. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Well, we use all of the brain, but not at all times (if you don't have some kind of seizure).

Maybe we only are aware of a certain % of the processes and we could be made aware of more. But to that I have no facts or numbers, for certain a lot of the processes are unconscious.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

There is a woman called Sharon Parker who was born with hydrocephalus.

Sharon Parker was born and bred in Barnsley, Yorkshire. She's married with three children and is a qualified staff nurse. But, Sharon has almost no observable brain. Since she was a child, doctors have told her that she has no more than 10-15% of a normal brain.

from http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/misc/mysterious-brain.html

So, we can definitely function without 85% to 90% of our brains.
    Sharon is proof of that.

There are other cases discussed in this blog
    http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/michael_prescotts_blog/2008/09/i-feel-a-chill.html

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Some of those folks post on sciforums.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

And those with less than 1% make the move to Spuriousforum(s)

MW
    I see asterisks on your post denoting a banned name.
    Were you thinking along the same lines?
    If so that is uncanny.
    My first post of this remark came up with the same asterisks
    and I had no idea that you were referring to that site.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  16. kmguru Staff Member

Those people are the advisors to the new President. The one who used 90% of his brain...his name is Bernard Madoff who swindled $50 Billion Dollars under the nose of SEC....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

People used to beg him to reopen closed ventures and let them stuff their cash into them. When the brain is consumed with greed there is little left for reason. I wonder how long it will be before the first film comes out.

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Probably because they are.

19. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Let's cut the scientific crap and look at this in a completely hypothetical way.

Say we do only use a small percentage of our brain, I've heard that people on hallucinogenics such as LSD use more of their brain than people who aren't on drugs. Perhaps this isn't true: I'm not really a scientist but let's just imagine, for the sake of the argument, that it is true.

They're seeing things that "aren't there" but how do we know that the things that they're seeing aren't actually there? Maybe they are there, we just can't see them because the amount of brain power we're using isn't strong enough to let us see those things.

Any thoughts?

20. kmguru Staff Member

You may have a point there, but since our scientists do not research these stuff for the fear of being ridiculed, we will never know.

May be...someday, when I become a billionaire

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

We use all our brain. Get used to that as a fact. It is not all wholly active at the same time for two reasons a) we don't need it all active at the same time b) we couldn't cool it down fast enough.
    We know about its activity because we can monitor it. There isn't any question about that. So your hypothetical question becomes meaningless.

Sorry.

22. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Hmm, I'd like to see more research being done though.
    Surely we can't know for certain?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  23. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Ooh snap I'm gonna become a billionaire too!

We should gather funds and research together imo.