Are we really overpopulated?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Norsefire, Oct 5, 2008.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

There are hundreds of BILLIONS of GALAXIES out there.

There might well be an "overpopulation" problem in some areas of the world, currently. Frankly the problem is: The quality, is being overwhelmed by the quantity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Now see what you did? He is here..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Overpopulation refers to the relationship between the population number with the
    available resources at a certain area. If there is 10 people in one area but there is
    only resources for 8 people in that area, then the area is overpopulated.

Today's world population isn't equally distributed, but so does the resources. Capital
    cities of any countries are normally the most dense cities within countries, but they
    also have the most resources (easiness to find resources, center of employment, etc).

In general, I would say that as long as the rate of providing resources (food, drink,
    places, etc) is higher than the rate of population growth, then it isn't overpopulated.
    Is today's world in general overpopulated? I would say yes.. we can see it from
    constant war (fighting for resources), increasing death of hunger, etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pronatalist Registered Senior Member

Another problem with the term "overpopulation," is as it is typically used, the term is unbelievably vague, hardly appropriate to a supposedly "scientific" or logical discussion of the presumed "problem."

For example, might maybe somebody define "overpopulation" as having more human bodies, than you have beds for them to sleep in? That may suffice as a general oversimplistic portrayal of quite a lot of the discussion of the topic. I certainly am a bit inclined to think that most people, with the possible exception of married couples, should usually have their "own" bed.

And yet temporarily sharing beds in a crowded motel room on a trip, isn't particularly likely to be fatal. I consider such "sharing" preferable to spending big money for my own private room, when I could have simply stayed home and had that. And small children very easily share beds. Older children often share beds as well, especially in small homes, or in poorer developing countries.

Such "problems" are much more like minor "growing pains," than they are any real overpopulation "problem." And what of all the ample alternative solutions that don't require actually limiting human numbers? What do we think bunk beds were invented for?

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, I was just sitting here thinking ...What do we mean by "overpopulated"?

If a group of people can't feed themselves with their own resources, does that mean that the area is overpopulated?

If people outside of, say New York City, decided not to sell any food supplies or water to the residents, would NYC then become overpopulated because it can't feed it's own people?

At what point does the "independence factor" come into play in the term "overpopulated"? If one area, one group of people, one society, is totally dependent on another group of people, would they be considered overpopulated ...because they can't feed themselves?

Or is this one of those overly liberal posts where all humans are considered equally responsible for all other humans? ...LOL!

Baron Max

9. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  10. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Holy shit! I just met Scrooge, the ACTUAL man!

I went to Taco Bell to eat some food, they were asking people to donate 1 dollar to feed starving children. Some guy walks up to the counter and he says "No I don't like children, especially not starving children." So I laugh, thinking he was just tight on money. I go outside on my way out, he has a stinking red Ferrari parked over two parking spots!

I wanted to spit in his rolled down window.

A good point however is, do starving children grow up to create more starving children for which donations are asked?

I still vote that that man IS surplus population!

He may arrive at the Pearly gates and find that the elevator only has a down button. :shrug:

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Oh no, Baron and Pronatalist in one thread, that IS overpopulation!!!

Overpopulation is like recession, when you feel like it is, THEN it is....

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agreed. On top of that I think those numbers would only be (theoretically) possible by replacement of all other life on earth.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

14. Pronatalist Registered Senior Member

Reply to Repo Man:

The first picture, was from a forum, obsessed with "environmental" gloom-and-doom. A whole huge folder on Environment, or Population, or something. For some strange reason, enviro gloom-and-doomers, get tired of people who don't sing the same gloom-and-doom song. But then, did they ever really send me the same song rap sheet to sing off of? You know that one, that must have been passed around, when every channel on the TV, tells the same lies or distortions, as if somebody had passed a memo around to everybody, to get them talking off the same sheet.

The latter picture, a Mod said I was too old. That was Govteen forum. Somehow they claim a man posting on a boys forum, isn't quite right. Not due to anything I said, but due to the narrow group for which the forum is supposedly for. My posts were too intelligent, to have been written by but a boy, so he baited me to tell him my age. And yet they don't advertise their age requirements, for fear that people would just make up an age. That hardly seems quite right either. Now how can I be responsible for being too old, other than to lie about how old I am? Like it's anybody's business anyway? So either than banning was unfair, or the reason for it, is irrelevant at this forum, as there doesn't seem to be any "have to be but a child" requirement around here.

And then, anybody who posts on a dozen different forums often enough, saying anything more controversial than the endless praises of the Mods, is going to, sooner-or-later, end up on the outside end of a selfish immature Mod-gaggle-of-yesmen clique somewhere.

Anyway, if you are going to go out there and google up but one side of something almost irrelevant, then I think people deserve to hear the other side of the story.

BTW, Repo Man, how many forums have you been banned from? As if it has any relevance to anything? And what's your criminal record like? Oh never mind. Perhaps it's not relevant?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  15. Pronatalist Registered Senior Member

Or feeding children, among other wise decisions, leads to less starving people in the future, but also vaster and denser populations of well-fed people.

I disagree very much, with what is called the "Lifeboat Ethic." I thought that view may have been authored by Garret Hardin, but now I'm not quite so sure if he was the author, although a population phobic. Anyway, the Lifeboat Ethic, claims the world is like a lifeboat, that can only hold but so many. Put too many people onto the lifeboat, and everybody sinks, supposedly. So we then debate who to kill off, rather than how to save or help as many people as reasonably possible. It's an example of how immoral liberals pervert certain questions of social justice. Anyway, if we give (or sell) food and medicine, it says, to the already "overpopulated" lesser developed countries, it increases longevity, decreases infant mortality, and encourages more childbearing, which only serves to worsen their presumed "overpopulation." So should we help, or do nothing?

What? Compassion and kindness, no longer are virtues? We should do evil to one another? I totally reject the lifeboat ethic, as a huge perversion of logic. I already advocate a more densely populated planet, as about the most obvious ADAPTATION to the often-exxagerated global population situation, so I'm fine with people living longer, fewer babies dying, and more babies being welcomed to be born. Surely we can "scoot over" a bit, and find or make room for so many as there might or might not, come to be.

Yes, "Scrooge" seems to be the right name, for such a selfish person. The guy didn't have to donate, but neither did he have to dislike children either. Did Scrooge, as the tale goes, ever say something to the effect, lamenting the "surplus population?" Like Scrooge isn't part of that "surplus" himself then? What makes him any different or better, other than his unusually selfish streak? Ironically, many of the most poor, would probably have shared their meager food, given an opportunity.

Some years ago, I talked with some old lady, who opined something or other, about how selfish rich people tend to be. She said it's the poor people, who put up the most Christmas lights upon their homes. Is that how it is? Poor people are often more generous, and less overly "tight" or "stingy" with their money, than many "rich" people? Maybe they sympathize better with other people's plight, for they know more, how it is.

Sure, I don't believe it's a good idea, to feed wild animals, for something of this reason, it attracts them and makes them more dependent upon people. So unless I want to adopt a pet, I'm not going to feed most types of wild animals. Most wild animals have better human-friendly behavior, when we don't feed them. Many wild animals aren't so smart. If you feed the crockodiles, or bears, then they wander into areas where people are, or bears break into people's cars, looking for food. Problem animals then may have to be relocated or eliminated.

But starving children are a far cry different than wild animals. I don't believe that feeding starving children begets more starving children. Humans are supposed to be intelligent, capable of solving problems, highly ADAPTABLE. The right kinds of help, helps reduce future problems, and helps people possibly become far more self-reliant. We feed our own children, don't we? Do our children soon grow up and reproduce more starving children? Of course not. We teach them to get an education, move out, go get a job. Hopefully make many wise decisions.

Another example. I heard that scientists did some experiment with apes, putting more and more apes into a confined space, with unlimited food, to sort of simulate what humans might be doing to the planet. The apes took to grooming one another and sought to avoid conflict. Whoops! Where's the propaganda value in that? They adapted? So we almost never hear that story, but only the one about the disfunctional mice. I consider that academically dishonest. How are we to make informed decisions, if we are denied access to all the data and the whole story? I suspect the scientists may have "tainted" their experiment, as the apes may have behaved too well, thinking their human captors expected it of them. Well doesn't religion similarly "taint" us? Put too many people too close together, and they make friends and try to get along? They ADAPT too readily? They even think it's normal or natural?

If some dumb apes can adapt, why can't we? Also, it occurs to me, I'm a bit like those (friendly) apes. I am a kind person, and rather frugal, prefering to save as much money as I can for future plans, or for a wife and children to help me spend it. So when I go on some trip with friends, I would much rather share an overcrowded motel room, share a bed, or sleep on the floor, than pay big money to rent my own motel room. (Here, I think I am referring to my earlier post, trying to clarify it better, the one with the "more human bodies than beds" example.) If I wanted my own room, couldn't I have just stayed home? Put "too many" people in a room, and generally I'm fine with it. Takes so much less energy to "share" than to "fight." Especially if the people are much like me, and friendly. I hear guys don't like to share beds with guys, near as easy as women do with women. And generally I don't. Very rarely have I ever found the "shortage of beds" situation, especially if we or I brought our sleeping bags. But if there's more people than beds, what else to do? The Bible says that man shall not lie with man as with woman. Meaning that sexual relations are, by definition, supposed to be among opposite sex, preferably married. What does this mean? Isn't it obvious? If a guy shares a bed with a guy, it's not the same. It's different. You're supposed to turn in the opposite direction, and not have any interest in the other guy. Imagine you are in simply "half a bed." Women appear to be less likely to think there's anything "sexual" about sharing a bed. Or perhaps women generally don't get possibly embarrassing "morning wood?"

The idea here is, in my view, the world may technically be facing ultimately that (experiment) situation of "unlimited food." That supposedly limited food availability, is not going to be the suspected restraint upon just how huge human populations might ultimately get. People will adapt, and find or obtain or produce even more food, as needed, especially people with a little power and money to buy or push for such things. So I refuse to deny people food, as a scheme to rob them of their children. Intelligent people, are going to have to deal with such things, in a more intelligent way. I say it's not the rampant, unnatural, anti-life pushing of shoddy contraceptives, contrary to their natural yearnings to have possibly many children, but affirming as our ancestors did, that natural family growth is quite natural and to be expected, and that we can ADAPT.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yeah, but it happens so gradually that each generation slowly adapts to what we perceive as a loss of freedom. Remember that while this reduction in the freedoms we take for granted is taking place, there's an explosion of electronic communication going on. The new virtual communities, entertainment and MMORPGs will be breathtaking. They'll probably even have holodecks eventually. People will form an entire new civilization in cyberspace.

People are already meeting each other, dating, and getting married in Second Life. Heck, I know a happily married couple who met in a poetry chat room.

If this sounds outrageous, imagine trying to tell a caveman how much pleasure you get out of sitting in a chair reading a book for several hours.
    The pollution is a problem in economics, not technology. It's not a necessary component of the scenario. As for crowding, people in Japan have always loved it. They're a little uncomfortable with the space we regard as normal in America.

As for the loss of a "natural" world and its replacement with a single planet-wide artifact, yeah that sounds creepy to me. But I know inner-city dwellers today who don't find anything appealing about parks and wide open spaces. I would mourn the loss of biodiversity and more specifically all the wonderful animals and trees and such, but these people don't even have dogs and cats and lawns, and they claim to be happy that way. People are more adaptable than we give them credit for.
    No way dude. You can't feed fifteen billion people with primitive Amish-style family farming. Not even with the engine-powered farm equipment they've decided to permit themselves to have, so long as the kids don't start drag-racing their tractors or installing stereos in them. I think we're at the point where we need factory farming to feed the six and a half billion we've already got. Much more than that and you're looking at hydroponics. And if you want to talk about a world I mourn, I'm really pissed off about the way farm animals are treated, mounted in what for all intents and purposes are stocks, so they literally can't move. That's factory farming and it's too creepy.
    You're thinking of industrial era living standards, where everybody consumes an inordinate amount of energy just driving back and forth to work. The current twin crises of energy and economics are going to force the federal government to get serious about telecommuting, even if it means giving the long-overdue finger to Bush's puppeteers in the oil industry. We can live a 21st-century American-style life with a much more sustainable footprint than we had in the last century.

What we really need are nuclear fusion power plants, and that may require rounding up the oil barons and sending them off in the next one-way rocket to the Moon. Once we A) stop driving so much and B) stop using petroleum as our primary energy source, then we'll be able to convince the Chinese and the Indians to adopt our new ways rather than our old ways.

It's facetious to blame 300 million Americans directly for the problems we foresee. We're cleaning up our act--slowly, but we're doing it. It's the Chinese and the Indians--about two and a half billion people who are determined to emulate our lifestyle including all the selfish mistakes we made getting here--who are going to irreversibly destroy the biosphere in their quest to be as American as us. We have to clean up our act fast, so as to give them a better model to emulate.
    If the earth's population doubles merely once per century, rather than every 30 years as it did when I was a child, we'll run into that finite limit of waste heat dissipation--the entropy problem--in three thousand years instead of one thousand. This planet can only support about ten trillion people before the temperature rises to a level that won't support human life. That limit is a brick wall that cannot be circumvented by any clever tricks. Entropy is the bottom line. In seven billion years the population figure would have several hundred zeroes. My instinct tells me there aren't enough molecules in this planet to comprise that many people.
    This is a science website, sonny boy, so leave your religious bullshit at the door when you enter, or better yet just stay on the other side of that door. You are hereby put on notice by a Moderator that postulating a scenario from Christian mythology as humanity's way out of a dilemma is a textbook case of trolling and is a violation of the website rules. Do it once more and you will have the distinction of being the first member I've ever banned.
    I have posted the figures several times over the years. Given the cooperation of all governments, a massive orbital solar energy project, our willingness to live in mile-deep warrens with most of us never seeing the surface, and many other major revisions in what we consider a satisfactory life, this planet can support about ten trillion people. And if we double our population every century, we'll reach that figure in Y5K.
    Mother Teresa was a really sweet lady, but that doesn't stop her from being a moron.
    Once again, stop the religious trolling on the science boards. We have a ghetto for you folks where the normal rules don't apply. Please go there and stay there or you will be banned for trolling.
    You mean the good old days, when infant mortality was about 80%? So everybody had to have ten children to make sure two of them lived to reproductive age? What happened is called "modern scientific medicine." That's when the "population problem" appeared. The Third World was barely able to maintain its population. Then we gave antibiotics to a Stone Age people and their population started doubling every thirty years.

If you want to talk about "letting babies happen as they happen," you have to accept the whole package. Sure, noboby practiced contraception or abortion, but they also didn't practice vaccination or water filtration. Dysentery was ubiquitous, as were malaria, smallpox and sheer malnutrition.

Let me just take a wild guess here. You want mankind to live like our primitive ancestors when it comes to unfettered breeding, but you have no problem at all with contaminating that idyllic tribal community with vaccines, clean water, and antibiotics. Well, my naive young friend, welcome to mid-20th-century Africa. Go live there for a few years and tell us how much you like it.
    More religious trolling. You've been warned. I don't expect to step in this bullshit on our science boards again. I promise you it won't happen more than once.
    Google Maya deforestation and read any of the first few pages of hits. One of the things they did was harvest trees in an ever-widening radius to build their temples, I mean like a radius of 100 miles, and then they wondered why it was so hard to get food delivered. The Chinese are doing the same thing today. The Gobi Desert is expanding toward Beijing at a measurable rate; if they don't wise up, within your children's lifetimes it will probably be nibbling at the outermost suburbs.
    I see Max is back, and as disingenous as ever. We all seem to understand the compromise all humans make as members of a transnational community. You do too. You just enjoy playing the hillbilly retard in the model of your state's most infamous politician.
    Hey, even rich people have bad days. Ask him how much of his hard-earned money the various federal, state and municipal agencies steal from him every year, promising to use it to help the poor and to pursue many other noble causes, and then instead use it to pay fifteen million bureaucrats to sit around and "administer" each other all day. Plus buying the occasonal six hundred dollar hammer.

The last time I saw this figure was about ten years ago, but I doubt that it has changed much, and surely not for the better: If the federal government took all the money it collects for the purpose of giving welfare to the poor, abolished the social service agencies and simply divided it up and handed it to poor families, every poor family in America would suddenly have an income of $40,000.

Do you really wonder why so many people think they shouldn't have to contribute any more of their money to the cause?
    Generally, yes, because poverty is concentrated geographically. The single greatest factor in determining whether a person will be poor is the country he lives in. The best way to eliminate poverty in the world is to allow the poor people to immigrate at a steady, manageable rate to the prosperous countries. Once here, the adults may or may not make the transition successfully, but their children invariably assimilate to our way and get jobs and pay taxes.

17. Lordznebula5 Registered Member

No we not. are The elite aren't able to handle the population since they think they're wealth will be threatened. The earth does be able to handle everything.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

By Amish level I meant consumption, not farming...

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I understand it, Fraggle, but it's also quite frightening ...should be for y'all, too. Just think of it, the people of New York City are essentially being held hostage by growers and distributors of food ...well outside their own sphere of control. And some of y'all call that "freedom".

No, the term "overpopulation" must or should address that issue of control of resources ...and it doesn't even mention it. A tiny little force of enemy soldiers could blow up some essential bridges on major roads to NYC and that city would starve in virtually no time. Freedom?

Nope, many, many areas of the world are overpopulated, y'all just see it as the amount of land it takes to lie down on. You'll learn.

Baron Max

PS - I see you still haven't learned to minimize your posts, Fraggle. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, you've actually increased the amount of bullshit you spew forth.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Our resources aren't returning or gaining surplus as fast as our population is growing, so we are certainly facing some serious problems in the near future...the competition will only get worse...

21. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Epiman, your stupid moos will be deleted and YOU WILL BE BANNED...no doubt about it.

Bye bye Epiman...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. mynameisDan Registered Senior Member

we are underpopulated.

23. soadfreak2005 Registered Member

by the time our pouplation reaches 100 billion we might have the technology to explore other worlds like the moon or mars or even underwater.