Are we living in the least violent times in history?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by litewave, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Fraggle Rocker:

Your reading comprehension is poor: you still insist on equating 'violence' only with 'violent death', and you conveniently ignored my assertion that violence has been diversified in its manifestations.

Life expectancy includes infant mortality, which indeed has decreased, not the least through basic sanitation over the last couple of centuries. Fewer 'zeros' averaging into the pile bestows the illusion of greater lifespan for all.

This is plain false, and telegraphs an almost profound ignorance of modern science. What is your diet like?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Firstly, do you know what "sanctions" actually are?

So you think the sanctions were a good idea John? Did the ends justify the means? Were they violent? You tell me John.

It was not a ban on trade that hurt the Iraqi's. It was the ban on basic necessities to ensure a healthy and viable community that banned them. If a person was diagnosed with cancer, the medications needed were not available because it was deemed to be on the 'banned' list.

Do you know what "sanction" means, John? It is not a cessation of trade. It is military intervention to prevent items from entering the country. Certain items within the country had to be destroyed because they were on the banned list. Drugs, essential for medical treatment, were banned because they might have been able to be used in the production of biological weapons. Morphine was banned. Treatment for cancers, such as Chemo and radio-therapy was banned from entering also. As were antibiotics.

Get it now?

So would you have advocated Saddam break the sanctions and the international laws by 'sneaking' the essentials in? What would have been the consequences of that John? Bombings?

Did the sanctions equate to violence? In my opinion, yes. To the Iraqi's who suffered under those sanctions, they were violent.

Finally, education does not mean you were or are aware.

The only one tap dancing is you, John.

Real life, John.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I did not ignore it. I just have trouble with the contention that the virtual violence of videogames, the humiliation of fraternity hazing, the bullying of street gangs, the harassment of foreigners by Rednecks, or the "desperate" lives of unskilled laborers cause as much harm to individuals, families or civilization, as the 100x greater murder rate of 500 years ago, the nation-scarring wars of hubris-obsessed leaders like Abraham Lincoln and Genghis Khan, or murder as the cause of 60% of adult deaths in the Mesolithic Era. Violence has not only been diversified, it has been mitigated, and that's the point.
    I know enough about statistics to understand your point, and so do the people who compile the statistics. Life expectancy figures are routinely made available normalized to exclude people who die before reaching adulthood, for the very reasons you cite. In the Roman Empire, the life expectancy of a person who had safely attained adulthood was 23.

BTW, sanitation had a lot to do with increasing adult life expectancy, but the giant dropoff in infant mortality occurred with the development of antibiotics, and a smaller one with vaccines. Particularly in the Third World, where we watched The Law Of Unintended Consequences yield a population explosion.
    An amusing accusation to level at a man who attended Caltech. What, pray tell, are your credentials to be pontificating about science?
    I'm not a big fan of some of the more nutritious foods but I augment it with vitamins and minerals, a few things I always come up short on like antioxidants and extra magnesium, as well as a few controversial supplements like coenzyme Q-10. My protein/carbo/fat ratio is reasonable, I get plenty of fiber, and I generally avoid trans-fats. My calorie intake is fine and I've never had to try to lose excess weight. I'm a desk worker but I work out in a gym and do a fair amount of walking. I have a few old injuries and the usual assortment of annoying problems but my resting pulse is 65 and all things considered I'm in pretty good health heading into my 65th birthday.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Well i was under the impression that they were UN sanctions. And they were trade sanctions, arent they the same as those in so many other countries especially Cuba.

Could Iran trade with them or some other country?

But i dont understand why if things were so bad Saddam didnt help to make things better?

Also, did you want Saddam to be successful in invading Kuwait?

But really i never even voted so i dont see why you are going off on me what do you think i am part of the U.N?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  8. John99 Banned Banned

Well i guess then we should do something about this and fast. OR we can all sit here and bang the war drums.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm

Every year 15 million children die of hunger

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jul/26/internationalaidanddevelopment.famine

Every year, every year. No one talks about them, well here i sit with $6 in my pocket and your much well off than me but i cant blame you. Someone has to help though because right now i know that i cant do a thing about it. I know that if i could, if i had the means then i would make sure that not one kid ever has to suffer but thats just not going to happen because i'm flat broke. Well when i was a teenger i sponsored a kid in africa, sent $20 a month but then i fell on hard times and i couldnt even feed a goldfish. So when i stopped sending the money the letters from him stopped i guess he thought i died but i know that if i could do anything, i would.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  9. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Again, murder rates are not the subject of this thread. They would be spurious anyway, especially trying to determine them from centuries ago. Violence must exist in the mind before it is manifested, and an honest survey of the landscape will reveal that violence is as firmly planted in the minds of human beings as it ever has been.

Source, please? I don't understand in any event how life expectancy in one country two millennia ago lends substantive weight to the proposition that human beings are less violent now.

No one was claiming that human violence was the prime cause of infant mortality before the 19th century, so this is another red herring.

Your statement was and is an exhibition of gross scientific ignorance, and waving a certificate does not change that; indeed, it only further detracts from whatever little significance still attaches to 'college' degrees.

What do you consider to be a reasonable calorie intake?

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I bet %-wise way more died 200 years ago. That is one in every 4000. Hell, at the Irish potato famine something like 1/3 of the Irish died or emigrated...

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The man whose insults seem to imply that he has no university degree claims to be an expert in psychology and sociology? A lot of people here don't even put much stock in those "soft" sciences. What kind of reliable, objective, repeatable test or experiment have you devised for "honestly surveying the landscape" of the human mind?
    Google "Roman Empire Life Expectancy." You'll find a range of figures, the most scholarly of which range from 18 to 28 depending on how they deal with infant and childhood mortality. Pick the scholarship that you find most trustworthy. I'll keep looking for the study I found a while back which tracked it from the Mesolithic to the 20th century and found the low point to be the era of excessive nutritional dependence on wheat, with no knowledge of vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids.
    Well you're the one who keeps jumping around and presenting a moving target. You brought up nutrition and lifestyle so I addressed it. If it was someone else then excuse me, but you're not the only one posting and everyone's questions deserve an answer.
    No, and as I said perhaps I mistook somebody else's question for yours. Nonetheless human violence was the prime cause of adult mortality for thousands of years--and not just the prime cause, but more adult deaths than all other causes combined. Up until recent historical times, one of the top causes of death was institutionalized, sanctioned, legal, celebrated violence: war. Today so few people are killed by government violence that auto accidents--something we take for granted and don't worry about--are in the top five, even in Africa. Depending on your age group, where you live and how good your health care system is, incredibly low risks like suicide and accidents at home and at work vie with cancer, something our ancestors didn't even know about because hardly anybody lived long enough to die from it.
    This is a place of science and scholarship. A hostile broadside insult against university educations is an extraordinary assertion and must be accompanied by extraordinary evidence to support it. As a Moderator I am hereby putting you on notice that if you ever make this remark again without evidence it will be considered trolling, which is a violation of the rules.

Saying that a member's statement "is an exhibition of gross scientific ignorance," without explaining why, is a personal insult, which is also a violation of the rules. Please dial it back immediately and comport yourself in a civil manner from now on.
    The number of calories that maintains a satisfactory weight. Duh? You can measure "satisfactory" either subjectively by looking at a person and deciding if he looks fat, or more objectively by something like BMI. I'm 6-foot even and weigh 175-180 lbs. That is a satisfactory weight.

12. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

No fuckin way we are living in the least violent times, everything is just camoflaged. Yes we don't have anymore public beheadings and we use lethal injections now, which doesn't make it any different. It all depends on the argument of method vs purpose. Just because we now comfortably sit in our bad ass million dollar jet fighter while dropping 2 ton nuclear bomb to wipeout...forgive me for using that word...to neutralize targets, it doesn't really make any difference. In fact its probably more inhumane because what used to take a centurium of Roman soldiers to do now takes a press on button while sipping pina colada. However we have rules and all types of rights now, a far different society from say 11th century; but for the times we are in( civilized times) we probably still are just as violent- i.e comparing to less civil times.

13. John99 Banned Banned

Same brain, same violence.

14. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

A lot of modern violence is hidden and chronic. Take the use of some pharmaceuticals. Take advertising. Take fast food. Take the greater stress modern life inflicts on the body.

Please. Take them.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A lot of modern killing is for things not required for survival. Luxury killing, like Third world starvation in the face of rising obesity in the first world, bombing countries for oil for SUVs, destroying small underdeveloped regions for exploitation for stuff like coffee (and thus killing off the natives that lived off the land).

16. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

This went on before, though perhaps you are on to something. I'd need to hear more. It seems to me nobles in Feudal society came up with a number of ludicrous schemes and rules that ensured poverty and death, especially of 'other nobles ''subjects'''.

Alexander the Great certainly had enough to eat before he set out on his 'tour' and so did Ghengis. The Romans who decided to enter North Africa and England certainly had enough to eat. And so on.

But I am not ruling out that you are on to something. I just needed to make these counter examples to get a clarification.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Correct, but Alexander was ultimately, a failed soldier. He achieved nothing. The Mongols at least moved from horsemen to empires and settled Asia into a developed country. The difference between the Mongols (who killed for power, not luxury) is that when they got the power they used it unbiasedly, no people who were under them were impoverished. Currently though, the powerful nations exist as parasites on the rest of the world, even to the extent of waste and overdose of resources, when clearly they are damaging without replacing or benefiting anyone other than themselves.

The only way to counter them is to become them. One could say this model was started by the Romans, it failed for them so there is no reason it should work for anyone else.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Uh - the Mongols plundered, loaded themselves up with luxuries, sent wagontrains home with piles of stuff, platoons of slaves, herds of animals, harems of concubines.

They stuffed themselves with the surplus production of the rich lands they sacked, and set themselves up as rulers of the golden-egg geese they had overwhelmed, whatever was difficult to transport.

That Genghis Khan was a wiser and more farsighted ruler than many, and did not condemn to abuse and misery those he did not kill, but instead treated them as would best increase their value to him, aligns him with other thoughtful imperialists - such as Machiavelli, who warned against striking without killing. That such men are few, and the successful among them the lucky fewer, does not change the fundamental nature of their actions.

The Mongols did not use their power "unbiasedly" - the bias in favor of Mongols was very marked, and might be said to be the point of the whole enterprise.

19. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

No, actually you're on notice for resorting to cowardly blithering rather than evidence-supported, intelligent responses. Saying 'Google it' does not qualify as a source citation, and is especially ironic coming from a man who makes it a hallmark to continually berate others for not being 'scientific' enough.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm from what I have read of Mongol history, Mongolia did not benefit as much from it as Arabia and other parts of Asia did (not to undermine the savagery of 30 million people killed in 200 years, though that was du jour at the time). Regardless, they did not kill for luxury.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  21. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I am not enough of a historian to challenge your takes on the other empires, but it seems now we are talking about something as old as Rome. I would also guess that slavery in many places kept at least a significant portion of the slaves in poverty. I am still unconvinced it is new, though other than that I agree with your position. I think the problem is that it is not so out in the open for the citizens of the ruling nations. Though even here, I am not sure how much the lower middle classes in Rome really understood how they were parasites on barbarian people elsewhere, except of course for the slaves.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes, obliviousness is one of the defining characteristics of the modern society.

http://www.smallnoises.com/?p=16

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

From the perspective of the Greeks, you are quite wrong. He brought Hellenistic culture to the old Persian empire. What survived for many centuries in most parts of it, was impressive mix of both east and west. The Selukids, in particular, had the dice fallen differently in a few key battles and leadership, would have been a new empire easily rivalling and surpassing Rome and Darius-Persia, combined. From the steps of India to the Alps, to Carthage.