Are there any NEW Creationist arguments? (v.2)

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by synthesizer-patel, Jun 2, 2010.

1. AJRelic Malformed Registered Senior Member

I don't understand....science doesn't refute the idea of god, I think it can support it. The universe is so much more beautiful and profound than they could ever imagine...it should be evidence of god's work.

What's keeping them from saying something simple like, "God created such a complex universe that from its birth, conditions were set so that men would eventually rise above all of his other creations and hold dominion over the earth". He created the universe in 7 days? Well...time is relative so I'm sure an omnipotent being could make eternity seem like weekend.

I don't know...I'm athiest but if I was a creationist, I'd try to use science to my advantage.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

If anyone has Comcast on Demand there's a show on the Science Channel called "Through the wormhole". I'd suggest you watch it. It's very interesting. There's a growing suspicion amongst a few prominent scientists that we might be living in an "ancestral simulation".

I can't say that I personally believe in that theory but damn the idea itself is beyond fascinating. Another theory to throw in the mix, which actually raises more questions than it answers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Version 2

Mod Hat — Version 2

This is the restored form of this topic, with twenty-two posts remaining. If this discussion sinks again, I will remove it to The Cesspool and issue sanctions against those responsible for its decline.

Easy enough?

Good.

Carry on.

Thank you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No, but it negates the necessity for god.

Come again?
    God, by definition, is supernatural. Science concerns itself with the natural. And the observable.

They do try. And fail miserably.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

We have

1) the argument from incredulity ("how can anyone believe such and so"),

2) the argument from bad math ("the probability of random chance producing whatever is incredibly small, now see (1) above"),

3) and the argument from lack of imagination (we can't imagine how wossname could have appeared by steps, therefore it must have appeared in one event, and now see (2) above).

Those are all at least a hundred years old, in some form or another. Are there any others?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Splinter notice

Mod Hat — Splinter notice

I have created a splinter thread, and redirected it appropriately.

No more of that ludicrous nonsense, please. I would like to think there is a valid topic to discuss here.

Update: No, seriously—enough.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  10. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

Here's NON ludicrous nonsence:

A conclusion is made on a basis. There is a basis on which the conclusion is made, somewhere in the brain. -I'm sure of it.

A such a basis can be derived from a malfunction that can only be explained by itself or creationism to some extent being true. That doesn't have to mean that it actually is true.

Simply the brain playing tricks. You wouldn't ever know one thing from another. Call it a fantasy or a dream that was very real. Or not. Perhaps even caused by drugs.

Is that NON ludicrous enough or may I not post in here?

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Subversively silly?

Oh, it sounds incredibly ludicrous and unbelievably stupid. Then again, stupidity is what many people expect of creationists. Perhaps I ought to wonder if you're a misguided atheist attempting to covertly discredit theists.

Specifically:

In addition to the cryptic phrasing of the argument itself, "I'm sure of it," is a problematic assertion of support for an idea.

If any of my neighbors can tell me what this actually means, they'll be doing better than I am. Presently, what stands out is the phrase, "... that can only be explained by itself or creationism to some extent being true." To the one, just the sound of it strikes me as hiliarious. To the other, the general argument is so incoherent that the suggestion of fallacy within the statement is irrelevant.

The one question I have at this point is whether you're trying to articulate a hitherto unheard theory circulating among creationists, or promoting some notion of your own invention. Even the aforementioned Discovery Institute isn't so mysterious about its silliness.

12. Gustav Banned Banned

/gnaws at leash

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The lizard chewed the armpit

Is that what happened to the armpit of my favorite t-shirt?

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I caught the first episode but it nauseated me so I bailed out before it ended. The Religious Redneck Retard Revival has picked up so much momentum in this benighted country that scientists are now producing a TV show that's a blatant attempt to reconcile superstition with science.
    The operative word there is "few." You kids are probably too young to remember Nobel prizewinning chemist Linus Pauling making a fool of himself by advocating megadoses of vitamin C as the secret to health. Even "a few scientists" can be foolish. That's why peer review is a cornerstone of the scientific method.
    Well-crafted fantasy and science fiction are always fascinating. That's what they're all about!
    This is a good time for my rant about the ambiguous way scientists toss around the word "theory." The Theory of Relativity and the Theory of Evolution, both of which have been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt (the best that can be done in science) and are part of the canon of science, are made to seem on a par with String Theory.

If it hasn't been proven yet, then it's not a theory, it's a hypothesis. If it's a hypothesis with no evidence, then it's just a hunch. If there are tons of evidence against it, then it's either crackpottery or religion.

15. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

I imagine you may be one of those fun guys who thinks there is something to string theory. If so you might want to reexamnie your premises.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I see you like to make assumptions.

17. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

you should reread my post.
    I imagine you may be ......

You reacted exactly as I expected you to, walking straight into a very simple trap. While from your posts you are clearly well educated and intelligent, you are also prone to knee jerk reactions. Such was the case here.

I gave you two powerful qualifiers to a possible scenario. You assumed those qualifiers were absent.

What would be really nice is if you were to surprise me with an honest acknowledgement that you screwed this one up and that you do have a tendency to kneejerk reactions. Go on, surprise me.

Pretty please.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah you see... another assumption.

I was referring to this part:
    There's no need for me to re-examine my premises.

Oops, wrong.

Keep trying.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

You really are blind. Sad really.

If so you might want to reexamine your premises.

Another qualifier missed by you.

Dwyffr, deny it all you will. You made a series of assumptions about what I was saying that were wrong. Why? Because you leapt in without thinking. You cannot see that? Fine. Others can. Continue being a prat with intelligence, when you could simply be intelligent. I guess that's the choice you prefer.

I gave you an opportunity to be honest with yourself. You rejected it. I understand you may be a moderator, so I can't put you on ignore, so I'll just have to do that part manually - except when I catch you at another of your kneejerk brain dumps.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Still wrong.

Nope I didn't miss it.
    You're missing my point: there is no need for me to re-examine. Regardless.

Nah, maybe you should simply just read what I write, instead of assuming I'm not reading what you write.

21. crumeman Registered Senior Member

I became a believer because I saw that Science and history does support the existence of God, but I was pretty shaky in my belief. Now I am very solid in my faith because I've seen God change so many people's lives (including mine) and so incredible miracles in people's lives too. (including mine.)

-Matt

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The important details

So what is that support?

Faith being the operative word.

Welcome to our humble bedlam, Crumeman. We look forward to your insights.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

When people say that a god changed their life, what they usually mean is that faith changed their life. In other words, they did it themselves, but they don't have enough pride to take the credit.
    This is a place of science and scholarship. Extraordinary assertions must be supported by extraordinary evidence before anyone is obliged to treat them with respect. (The Rule of Laplace, a cornerstone of the scientific method.) Please provide the extraordinary evidence for one of those "incredible miracles."