Are scientists always trustworthy? Should we believe everything they say?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Happeh, Feb 3, 2006.

1. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Ok. So we have evidence, and a hypothesys on what is at the root of the things we see in the photo. However, even given all the photos you have posted thusfar, we have a sample size of say roughly 15 photos and 10 people. That is a *very* small sample, small enough that anomolies would easily skew the results.

happeh, honest question, do you know about the difficulties in making statistical projections based on small data sets?

What does this one photo have to do with the nature of this man's living condition? As has already been brought up, just because his face is tilted to the right in this instant in time, it doesn't mean that it is always that way, or that the right side of his body is weak.

Get a whole bunch of photos of this man over time, show that statistically, this man's head leans to the right in more than 1/2th of them (as opposed to a 50/50 split with leaning to the left), then account for the effect of being right or left handed (and the non-masturbation-related effect that will have on his propencity to lean to that side), then we can start considering these photos that you provide 'scientific evidence'. Even at that point, you will have to show a connection between the evidence and your hypothesis of the cause; a connection that is not shown by the photos alone.

Then we can talk science. Until then, what you have is evidence, but it is mearly anecdotal evidence - non-scientific, and non-verifiable.

An anecdote does not evidence make.

Happeh, I believe in qi. I have learned about it, I can control it, and I can produce internal and (limited) external effects with it.
    However, because, as with Happeh theory, it requires special training to be detected, there is a very limited window of research into qi that qualifies as scientific per the definition.

I would love to shout across the forums "Qi is real! Yesterday, I rose the tempurature in my hands from 82F to 102F during meditation, and manually controled my esophagus. What I say is 100% true."
    However, beyond my own belief in my perceptions of events, and my very limited, anecdotal data (hand temps), I have no verifiable basis for my premise.
    It is not that I am wrong, it is that science is limited in what it accepts as evidence, and it does so on purpose - to limit individual error and identify fraud. I don't expect people to believe me with out more evidence than I currently have.

As I said before, maybe you are right. But until you can provide something more than a few anecdotes, you will not be able to override my own.
    You say 0, I've seen 1 in the world, 0!=1, so I disagree with your assertion. You have to convince me. I'm not going to ignore my own life expirience just because you say so. I'd be unable to function in the world if I took every idea that I was told at face value.

edit: again, I suggest you read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science

science is designed the way it is for a reason.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Happeh Registered Senior Member

That is only because the children were crying so loudly that James shut the thread. I can post example photos from now until the day you die. It is not an accident, it is not a one off thing and there are no anomalies.

No. And I don't care. You do not understand. You want to force me into your narrow set of rules to prove what I know. Why? I know what I know. I don't have to prove it to you according to your rules. If you want to learn what I know, I will tell you. Whatever rules you make up have no relation to what is truth and what is not.

That is where you are completely, utterly, 150,000 percent wrong. That is why you can talk to me all day long. I can tell by that statement that you have no clue how the human body works. There is no reason for me to respect your opinion because your statement above shows your complete ignorance of how the human body really works.

I don't care what you name it. The stuff I post verifies, corroborates, validates, or supports my claims that excessive masturbation etc will damage the body in very specific ways.

How interesting. There is a chapter in my current book on that very subject.

What you mean is that your own evidence proves the existence of chi, but because the herd will attack you if you say that, you keep your beliefs hidden.

I have no bad feelings towards you riverwind. Perhaps you truly do have a good heart and you are not a sneaky person trying to harm me. Regardless, you are wrong. I am right.

I think you could benefit from what I know. If you refuse to accept it without me meeting all those rules, there is nothing I can do.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Who is this Happeh? Are you too scared to tell me? <P>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Happeh, you claimed others ran away from debate with you. Yet you have failed to address any of the questions I have raised on any thread, directed to you, over the last several days. Who is running away now? I think the answer is self evident. Once again you have been shown up for what you are: a confused, delusional liar.

8. Happeh Registered Senior Member

Biology and Physics - Please let me show you how a scientist thinks

A real scientist is curious. He is imaginative. He wonders about everything, he notices everything and he never forgets anything. Most importantly, the scientist always ponders the connections between all the things he senses and experiences.

My Happeh Theory is based on this method. Real world observation spurred by curiosity and pondering. That claim in the other thread is based on this same process. The thread about people having energy? And about the energy fields of people interacting?

Maybe you can pick up intelligence or the attitude of a real science by mimicry. It works for other apprentices.

There is all kinds of energy. Heat, Mechanical, Electromagnetic. I say people have an energy field. I say that the energy field of people is electromagnetic in nature. I further say that the electromagnetic field of a human being behaves like the magnetic field of a magnet.

That should make scientist feel good. I am not making outlandish claims. I am describing the energy of the human body as behaving in the familiar, documented and proved way of a magnetic field. Here is a magnetic field.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A human being is a biological organism. Biological organisms are made of cells. Cells have many properties and many processes they go thru during their life. Here is a picture of a cell undergoing Eukaryotic cell division.

Here we have two seemingly unrelated things. A biological cell and a magnetic field. One is from biology, the other is from physics. No connection at all.

Except that Happeh says people have energy. So biology and electromagnetic behavior, of which magnetic fields are a part, are related on the say so of Happeh.

Happeh told you a real scientist always looks at everything and pays attention to everything. I know you guys refuse to do that because I recommend it. You can't do anything Happeh recommends. Since you refuse to look for yourselves, let me make it as obvious as I can.

Just a coincidence right?

That is how a real, intelligent, aware, thinking scientist figures out the world. You are not going to find any studies to verify this. You won't find any other people talking about this. It is just you and those two pictures that are undeniably similar.

Will you choose to remain ignorant, or will you see the light and agree to walk the path to becoming an intelligent human?

9. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

That’s great, you’ve described the attributes of a scientist very well. Now you need to learn how the scientific method works. The scientific method is the tool that scientists use. Science does not progress without it no matter how imaginative you are. Would you like some references where you can learn how science is practiced in the real world as opposed to your delusional fantasy world?

By the way, referring to yourself in the third person makes you look even more of a nutball than you have already proven to be.

Now, who is this person?

10. Light Registered Senior Member

It not a coincidence - nor is it anything similar to one. That's just a drawing of a cell and the "lines" are nothing more than showing the physical boundaries of the cell. The lines on the magnet aren't real lines either, just a graphic representation of the magnetic field. Your two pictures have absolutely nothing in common - and especially in the way you are trying to use them! That was plain silly.

And yes, a scientist certainly keeps an open mind and attempts to connect what appears to be unrelated things. Actually, that's what they do with most of their efforts. It's called research , Happeth - the clearest and most basic kind.

You, however, have NO no theory. You've simply got a half-baked idea that has no basis at all. Of course people have energy! The get it from food, use it to sustain life and to provide motion. That energy is released in the body by two processes: metabolism and oxidation. (The latter being a sub-class of the first.)

There's nothing at all mysterious about that energy. We also radiate energy - in the form of heat. And any electromagnetic radiation we emit is practically worthless. I did read an article in the past few weeks where it has been discovered that humans do, in fact, emit photons (light). But it's a very small amount and is way, way below of the threshold of what you are imagining.

Science hasn't come this far without already considering and trying the kind of thing you're talking about. It didn't work out before and it won't work out now.

Your initial statements about how scientists work is pretty good. But it's too bad that you, personally, do NOT know how to apply the scientific method to your ideas. It would prevent you from being the wacko nut-case that you are.

11. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Mum always warned me not to be evil. "It's all fun and games until it gets boring, and then it isn't fun and games," she said. "If ye're good you can always fall back on wholesome contemplation of life's beauty instead."

Few things more evil than truly wasting time ... i.e., not learning and not teaching.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

do you see this numbnuts er . . . i mean happeh?

13. Light Registered Senior Member

Could almost be like Duendy's brother, eh?

Except that she's more interesting. And when she gets flustered (which is most of the time)

, she starts to stammer, slobber, and spits all over her keyboard. Happeth is just dull and completely boring.

14. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Yeah, it's hilarious when that happens.

Her mind subscribes to wacko conspiracy theories faster than her hands can type.<P>

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Nevertheless she is likeable. Like an eccentric aunt.
    Happeh is merely a turd - they are dull and boring, but they don't half stink.

16. Facial Valued Senior Member

BAM! Wrong right on the second sentence! Illustrates Happeh's attempt to transcend science into his fantasyland of God-like perfection. Hence his demeanor to impose without evidence.

17. Facial Valued Senior Member

After reading the latter parts of the first post, I am thoroughly convinced that Happeh is mentally challenged beyond the point of self-recognition.

18. Happeh Registered Senior Member

I love trolls. They are so predictable. If I need a laugh, I know just where to go.

19. Happeh Registered Senior Member

I had to take you off ignore. I am laughing out loud at how stupid you are willing to appear in order to try and get me.

The lines on the cell are nothing? I would draw your attention to the label called "kinetichore". It appears to be linked to the lines.

I still think you better make plans for the retirement home. No telling when the brain will completely go away.

Make up your mind. People have energy, or they do not. Which is it?

If you believe people have energy, why do you not believe that their energy fields react with each other?

20. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Way off the topic of this thread. The word Troll reminded me of a delightful comic strip.

A troll asks for a date with a gorgeous, intelligent, charming Viking Teenager. He says: "I am sure you will say no because I am just an ugly stupid Troll."

She says: "You got that right."

The Troll: "Besides, your parents will be very upset if you go out with me."

Viking maiden: ""Well, maybe one or two dates."

21. Happeh Registered Senior Member

Hercules - "By the way, referring to yourself in the third person makes you look even more of a nutball than you have already proven to be."

I guess that means the British Royalty is all nutballs huh? Maybe I should forward your name and comments to Buckingham Palace?

Hercules - Now, who is this person?

Why?

22. Azael Registered Senior Member

I used to be more like you Happeh, but a lot less stupid. Anyway, I found out that the exceptional is best conveyed through the ordinary. Learn the rules before you attempt to change them, and deviate into the occult only when you've excelled in mainstream spheres.

23. Light Registered Senior Member

Happeth, you are one VERY stupid yokel! Of course they have energy - they're alive, for God's sake!! But they don't have energy "fields" to react with. That's just a hangover from your thoughts about the Star Trek spacehips having sheilds and force fields. It's just science fiction - and so are you're silly ideas. :bugeye: