Are schools bad for us?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Adam, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The idea behind an alternative assessment is that you don't need to be a test whiz to pass the course. I'm sure there are people here that dont' do well on tests, but would make a perfect score on a project or paper. The idea was that these people could use the alternative assassment to make up for a poor test score, passing the course. It didn't always work.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Sounds like it's a good idea!

Hey, if alternative assessment's like that, then it should work out great! I mean, you could still pass a course when getting 70's on tests, and doing assignments are easy, so then it should be no problem, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Happy early graduation Avatar! A year early, but what the hey

What are you planning to do after?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

hmmm- we can start here to learn at the age of 7 also. I chose that. Was smart- why start earlier and sacrifice one year

after?hmmm.
    I think I'm going for international bank relations, communications , money transfers. Not that I'd really enjoy it, but in our country computer guys receive such payment that I could even not afford myself a new computer.

8. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Good choice!

You get to start school at the age of 7? Lucky!! I had to start at 4!

Wow! Money relations, eh? So, do you get to count and feel the actual money, or just punch numbers? You must be really good in mathematics then, because a lot of people depend on banks...But you're lucky, you know exactly what you want to do...I don't have a clue myself.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm not talking about gindergarten.
    but I never went to it also.
    hasn't hurt my head though.
    I learned to read at 2.5 years
    (not bad at the age of 3)
    and simple write at 4 (not sentences)

was a good start, but now I'm more lazy than then. can find no real motivation. that's my problem. but it should be otherwise next year. then the real game starts.

good at mathematics?
    I wouldn't say that I'm bad at algebra, quite good actually, but terrible at geometry.

no counting.
    I'll first try to get into international electronical money transfers (tht's the future). then after international bank relations and communications. It's more a diplomatical and economical job than mathematical.

why I'm going into that-> simple-
    I need money to do what I like that requires money
    buy most advanced hardware, build a large house. I have already planned it's advanced defence and alarm system. in great detail actually.
    these kind of things.

10. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

11. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The problem: I had two courses. In one, I didn't do the assessment at all. In the other, I got 30%. The course I didn't do it at all, I passed, because of my exam score. My exam in the other course was at least as good, but I failed due to my poor score on the assessment. It generally wasn't as alternate as it should be. Come to think of it, I think it would be better to have the assessment truly alternative. In other words, you choose the exam, or the project.

I read The Sword of Shannara in seventh grade.

12. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Aw man, that sucks, Gifted...

I read Ender's Game in grade 7

(We had a whole unit on Ender's Game, where I discovered the genius of Orson Scott Card...good memories...

)

13. Zero Banned Banned

Does it suck that I'm stuck at a summer science camp??

14. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Of course not Zero, unless you hate science...

But summer camp sounds like a fun idea!

15. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

I think schools are bad for the individual and society. Sure, in days- gone-by the wealthy were given private education but even so, they only took over the family fortunes. the majority of common folks weren't book-learned and I can appreciate the advantages of a literate society but... at some point too much good turns bad...

imagine a society of people investigating their interests to their ultimate conclusions. not possible. we're too busy being herded to and from our cubicals. drop the kids at day care or school so they can be poisoned into believing that confomity, and "fit into the work environment" are necessary. i hope all of those little angry hoodlums we see walking around with nose rings and tatoos can save us from our politically correct brain washing.

schools and peer groups discourage individuality and exceptional, creative thought. better to live with a pack of wild wolves and eat berries in the wilderness then to be forced to live in this suppressed society.

16. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

But you need a good balance of conformity and individualism to provide for everyone, or else some crazy Hitler-esque people would probably be shooting up everyone else. But I do like your idea of living with a pack of wild wolves and eating berries in the wilderness. Ignorance is bliss, man.

"I eated the purple berries. It tastes like burning!" - Ralph Wiggum

And welcome to SciForums, harrykarry!

17. lowefly Registered Senior Member

school is kewl

I think it's important for children to go to school, if for no other reason than to learn to get along with others. I think it's good for people to learn that sometimes we "have" to do thing we don't enjoy.

I would however like to see the system change from a 1-12 grade system to a sytem were the children have to master basic skills. It is too common that children are passed on to the next grade without learning the skills taught in that grade. I've seen too many people get into high school and not have learned the basic grade school skills.

School sucked for me because the work was boring and even though I tested extremely high they kept me with my class. In the sixth grade I tested 2nd yr college level in english and math, and yet my actual grades were low.

18. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Yeah Lowefly, I can understand what you mean. And welcome to Sciforums!

I think one of the major problems is that all children are different. They have varied learning rates, and when you try to accomadate them all within a school year, it ends up that many only recieve a mediocre or below standard education. Or, children who are mainly right-brain will appear to learn at a slower rate, because the education system really only appeals to left-brain pupils more. Society has taught us the left-brain skills are more important today, leaving us with higher student dropout rates, many of which are very creative and intelligent.

19. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

i think school is a good way of getting children to interact with eachother. I lived in the country in my little-school years, and am an only child. there weren't any kids to play with for a long way, and the only time i saw someone my age ((besides the dog) was at school. Im still a very quiet and disconnected type person, i have been all my life, but i would have had an awful time fitting in throughout hughschool once i moved to the city especially if i had not gone to school when i was little. (((boy i hope that made sense))) as for the curriculum... i think it depends on the school and how much a student tries.... if the kid wants to learn, he's gonna learn. and they will give him things that intrest him. But all too often a kid will sit back and only take what he is given when he knows he could do more but wants to breeze his way through and then ten years or five years later says that school didn't teach him anything.

I bugs me so much when people say that. My kindergarten teacher had a daughter that was the sma eage as i was and we were pretty good friends. I remember going to pool paries and cook outs at her house... her mom taught kindergarten.. her father taught jr high. and they were very wel off. huge house pool endless wooded acres... she had an entire floor to herself. We have teacher at our highschool that drives a porsche. My french teacher has a georgous house on a private lake and spends most of her time remodeling. her husband is also a teacher. They do make wuite a nice sum of money. atleast the ones here do. thats for sure.

20. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Some people also don't know how to manage thier money. I probably get paid less than most teachers, and I could probably manage a Porsche. A more personalized system would require more teachers, and some of the stuff some teachers have to put up with discourages them. I'll admit right now that I dont' have a solution, aside from telling you guys still in school to stick it out, hopefully things will get better.

21. harrykarry Registered Senior Member

no-one ever claims that you learn MORE in a large group school setting...

the whole socialization thing is the most common argument for schools. but really.... do you believe that throwing 35 kids together and letting them teach each other appropriate social skills is a good idea??????