Are dumb people happier than smart ones?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Sep 25, 2006.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Yeah, people who study intelligence, why don't we measure their IQs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Satyr Banned Banned

Stupid people have less things to “worry” about because they are aware of less things or they are satisfied with the simplest, most childish and self-gratifying answers to uncomfortable questions.

Stupid people misconstrue the search for ‘truth’ as the search for contentment and so they are attracted to any ‘truth’ that offers them the most contentment with the least effort.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Betelnut Registered Member

I think happiness has less to do with intelligence and more to do with temperment which is an inborn trait.

Some people are naturally more optimistic, resilient and cheerful. Others are naturally more pessimistic, more "restless" so to speak, are harder to please, recover slowly from disapointments and setbacks and tend to be gloomy. These traits vary, of course, individual by individual.

I'm not saying pessimistic people can't be happy and optimists can't be knocked down by life, but I don't think intelligence has much to do with this basic tempermental difference.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. risingst4r Registered Member

Dumb people probably are happier than intelligent people.

Intelligent people tend to be more analytical and aware of everything, including themselves, which can result in self-consciousness, a depressing view of the world, etc. Dumb people are more mentally impulsive and because they don't have a high level of thinking or an advanced perception, their mindset and thought process is incomplex.

8. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

You're at least partly right. When you say "some people are naturally more optimistic, resilient and cheerful" I trust you mean, people are genetically predisposed to be that way. So the implication is that there is a "temperment" gene(s). This is a reasonable claim.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/sciences/2004/09/23/cx_mh_0923happiness.html

People who are intelligent have what can be called "intelligent" genes. Is it possible that a gene for a person's high intelligence could lessen the effects of a gene for the same person's happiness? Or perhaps a person's good temperment could be attributable to his or her lack of "intelligent" genes. What's the relationship? That's the question.

9. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

or "I am probably superior to a black person because I am white."

10. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Define what you mean by superior.
    If by superior you mean intelligent, then it might be a true statement.

If you exchange superior with intelligent:
    "I am probably more intelligent than a black person because I am white." Sad as it seems, it's true. But that's for a different thread.

11. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by francois
    "in other words, facts and logic don't get in the way of idiots believing in what they want to believe and that can have a positive effect on one's psyche."

12. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

If you want to discuss this, you can PM me or we can talk about it in another thread. Let's keep discussion in this thread on topic.

13. Genji Registered Senior Member

I would think dumb people are happier. They know less so there is that much less to worry about.

14. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

A person may be less informed, but be informed about things which cause them great distress, or be too stupid to make meaningful positive connections, as well as missing the negative connections.

If smart people were REALLY smart they would figure out a way to be happy.

But yet, life is a system within which we cannot discern all the answers to complete it, or perhaps has ideas which are true and yet contradictory - and even the highest level mental processing within the system may not solve a particular problem. Godël anyone?

15. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That's a shitty place to be. Just smart enough to suffer, just dumb enough not to know to do anything about it.

Here, the definition you used for smart is different from most definitions, or at least the definition implied by the threadstarter. I think you're talking about emotional intelligence. Certainly there are geniuses out there, who are really really smart, according to my definition and most standard definitions of smart, and are constantly down in the dumps.

Excellent point! Except it's Gödel.

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

What if their happiness (their destiny) is out of their hands? Let's say you are a North Korean scientist working on the Bomb. You must be pretty smart, but I bet you are not that happy...

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

18. Betelnut Registered Member

Frankly, there are a lot of times that my thoughts tickle, entertain and amaze me--that is, my own smarts make me happy on occasion!

19. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Please keep sloppy wording out of this - "except" implies there is something wrong with my point, which, of course, there is not. I'm sure on the planet you come from, where sentences can mean anything you wish them to, the pretty letters must be properly reverenced, but, in my world, the meaning is not diluted by a little spelling error.

Also, if a person were intelligent enough they would be able to overcome any external challenge. Internal challenges are another story.

20. Singularity Banned Banned

example, only a few peopke are aware that we are in a matrix, majority of the people are happy because they cant see it. the dumb just are just battries for the elite

21. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Cole:
    Take a Vicodin, I was just having fun.

22. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

haw haw.

great.

23. draqon Banned Banned

There are no dumb people and no stupid people. We are all the same in perspectives.