Are College Students Too Liberal to Vote?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KilljoyKlown, Mar 21, 2011.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Instead of trade barriers, what about just trading smarter. I don't like blanket barriers, but I also don't like being taken advantage of either. There has to be a more flexible way to deal with this problem without going backwards. The reason we moved away from trade barriers hasn't changed. I refuse to be stampeded back to a flawed policy when I know we can do much better.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Agreed-blanket trade barriers are probably nearly as bad as no trade barriers at all. We need to trade to our advantage instead of the advantage of other countries.
    The current economic theorists all advocate an undiscriminating free trade, though.

Our industries leave because the lack of import duties combined with the cost of overseas labor makes overseas production cheaper.
    Were one business to do this, it would not harm the country as a whole, but most of them do it or have done it.

Because of that, large numbers of Americans are not able to make good wages anymore.
    Poor ex-factory workers can't afford to live well anymore and buy lots of stuff.
    So there's a ripple effect far beyond just those high-paid manufacturing workers when the factories go, even if you will never work at one.

@ siphra...you say if we raise wages or taxes the companies will head overseas, so I say, penalize them for doing so by imposing import duties, such that the American worker is advantaged again, and the companies can make better profits by staying put.

That was my point. Did I state it clearly?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

On a case by case bases I should think.

Well at least the ones who are influencing our current policy. I would think there is opposition that may be looking to change the current policy ASAP.

Overseas production may be cheaper but I haven't noticed anything I pay for as ever getting any cheaper. So I personally have not benefited from our companies moving production overseas. I will bet I'm not alone in this feeling or perception and that does give the opposition more power.

Yes it almost feels like third world status sneaking up on a larger percentage of American citizens and sooner or later that's going to bit someone on the ass.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I know...it worries me.

8. siphra Registered Senior Member

I would support that, or a tax that estimates the total time of production and forces them to pay that minimum wage will be enough to stop corporations from leaving. Penalties on corporations that aren't American that employ people at lower than our minimum wage, and tax breaks to American consumers that purchase 100% American made goods.