Are atoms some sort of cold fusion ?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Mark Turner, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Mark Turner Banned Banned

When things are heated they expand , when things cool , they contract . An object being at its greatest density in a cooled situation .

Are atoms some form of cold fusion ?

Thanks in advance .

river likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Let's look at it this way...shortly after the BB, the basic fundamentals of matter had already been created, quarks and electrons...In layman's language things were still so hot that quarks were free...at about 3 minutes, temperatures and pressures had dropped sufficiently for quarks to start sticking together creating our first neutrons and protons. Things stayed that way for around 380,000 years and until temperatures had dropped to around 3000K, and suddenly the free electrons were able to couple with the protons and neutrons, creating our first light elements of hydrogen and helium.
    400 million years later, stars and galaxies had started to come together, and then the heavier elements after supernova, planets, Abiogenesis, evolution and then us.

TabbyStar and Mark Turner like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mark Turner Banned Banned

• Fascinating !
    Does that suggest the possibility of an eventual heat death of the Universe by considering the opposite ?

Could heat cause the forming of matter , to undo ?

Thanks in advance .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Bingo!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

Mark Turner likes this.
  8. Mark Turner Banned Banned

9. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

I'm sensing troll vibes here. Don't want to outright accuse just yet, but the level of silliness in OP questions is so deja vu. Likely moved to Cesspool - well I would expect it.

10. Mark Turner Banned Banned

? Shrugs shoulders

You have a strange interpretation of what a troll is .

Questions are not trolling .

What you have just done , is trolling .

TabbyStar likes this.
  11. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Umm...no. If your queer queries are genuine you need serious help. We shall see how this pans out in general.

12. Mark Turner Banned Banned

It will pan out with more questions to help my own personal understanding and education .

Are you against education ?

TabbyStar likes this.
  13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not really....In the course of time, stars will cease to be created, the present ones will die, stellar remnants [white dwarfs etc] will become black cinders after cooling down, BH's will all evaporate away via Hawking Radiation, the universe will be cold, dark and lifeless:

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Fascinating is an understatement. For man to have the knowledge to give a reasonable evidence supported history of the universe from t+10-43 seconds and over a 13.7 billion year time frame is absolutely awesome!!! To have gone a good way into solving the universe's secrets is probably all due to blokes like Einstein and Special and General Relativity, and the many others that have assisted him along the way. The Galileo's, the Newton's, and many many others have helped to pave the way to that knowledge and revelations. Don't get me wrong though, we [scientists that is] still have a way to go.
    If you want to seriously learn about our advances in astronomy, cosmology etc, reading a now somewhat outdated book, Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" would I believe be beneficial to your desire for knowledge, and a good place to start.

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No.

Mark Turner likes this.
  16. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Thank you for your reply , I will try to obtain a copy of your suggested reading .

I have no more further questions on this subject at this time , thanks again to everyone who has participated in answering my questions on this forum .

TabbyStar likes this.
  17. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Could you please expand on your no answer ?

Thanks in advance .

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please...don't be put off by silly unsupported and unsubstantiated remarks.
    Your questions are thus far fine and reasonable.

TabbyStar likes this.
  19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Do you know what "cold fusion" is and why do you thinking that might describe an atom?

Mark Turner likes this.
  20. Mark Turner Banned Banned

Thank you for your reply

I'm not 100% certain , exactly what cold fusion is as I've viewed several explanations .

The only reason I thought it may be related to atoms is because of expansion and contraction , I imagined the atoms squeezing together and fusing together the colder it gets.

You've answered no though already , so I realise I am at error in how I've interpreted cold fusion .

Thanks .

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No, and yes. Mostly no.

The term "cold fusion" usually refers to the idea of creating nuclear fusion without high temperatures. Nobody has been able to do that. The rest of this answer has nothing to do with that kind of cold fusion.

Atoms are made of protons and neutrons in a concentrated nucleus, surrounded by a "cloud" of electrons.

All complex nuclei are a result of "hot fusion", because most heavy nuclei are created by nuclear fusion inside stars, in the first instance, and stars are hot. So, in that sense atoms are not a result of "cold fusion".

But atoms generally hold on to all of their electrons only at lower temperatures, so they need to be "cold" (in a sense) in order to become electrically-neutral "normal" matter. So, in that sense, atoms are "some form of cold fusion". But only in a manner of speaking.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Haha...only in the sense that nails stay hammered so for a nail to be hammered it requires no hammer but only in the sense that they stay hammered and not in any manner that we ever use when speaking of hammers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Well, the alternative was the somewhat blunter post #12.