Architectural Modelmaking

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by ScaryMonster, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Do you think a model i.e. a real physical model is useful in constructing and designing or selling building?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Does 3d animation work better or is it something different again?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

An actual 3D model is extremely useful in that the vast majority of the public can't read drawings for one thing.
    A 3D CAD model is only a couple of steps up from a drawing - it doesn't give the "feel" to most people, a physical model can be looked at as a whole so that someone can get a good idea of the relationships between the rooms, and their relative sizes without having to hold a memory or keep referring back to previous views/ drawings.
    The only drawback is the possible comment "Oh, I thought it would be bigger".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There's a huge difference between an actual model (miniature) and a CAD model, even for professionals.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Wow!that model in the pic is so beautiful.Yea its obviously more realistic in the real than on a computer,no doubt.But isn't computer models used mostly due to the real models costing a bunch more?Hey who owns those models the company or the home owners and what usually happens with these models? I was thinking it would be a shame to pitch em afterwards.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Models

I’m glad you liked it its one of the models I worked on, it was done for a housing development which kind of resembles the one in the movie “The Truman Show.”
    I’ve not made any models for almost a year now and at one time there were three a week being constructed!
    I don’t know it might be locational or the models are too high quality and therefore pricey. So that the client would go for the cheaper 3d flythrough instead.
    That particular model is of a tennis club called the “River Centre”, its on display is a sales office along with lots of other models which are samples of the different types of houses in the development.
    Models after they finish doing their jobs are disposed of like anything else I’ve got a few back and I’ve donated some relevant ones to Museums.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Physical models are gorgeous, I don't care the building. Hell, even the ones the architecture students made at my old university were pretty nice to look at, but true works of art are always nice to me. True CAD models, however, are definitely more useful to me if I were to have that house built for me, since I could actually do some math to find out what furniture would fit, what wiring options I have, etc. etc. etc.

For the Layman, I sure as hell hope the traditional modeller stays in business. CAD can be done by monkeys if properly trained, true models are works of art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.