Aquatic Ape Theory resurfaces.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by siliconshrew, Apr 15, 2008.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

My point was that breath holding is instinctive for most mammals, except the really dumb ones. You can't use breath holding as a reason to conclude aquatic ape theory. As for Asguard's theory about amino acids - silly. We know full well that plains-dwelling humans existed for tens of thousands of years without access to the sea, and yet they seem to have managed quite well nutritionally. Sure, occasionally they ate each other. But that's just politics. Iodine and the like are inevitably transferred into a plains ecology by nutrient migration from the sea in the tissue of one heterotherm or another. It's why deer like to eat bird heads.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

A key phrase. But, when both a dog and human with no learned skills are in water, the statement holds.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But, it does refute your statement.

No, babies can not automatically swim, that is BS, they will drown because they are unable to keep their nostrils above water.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

But not the way humans do it, by locking the throat. That's physiologically difficult to impossible for most land mammals.
    As uniquely profligate with salt as humans are - we sweat it out for chrissake, simply for lack of a proper sweat gland and the heat dissipation demands of a body covered in a layer of fat - it requires all of our considerable foraging skill, hunting prowess, and social cooperation, to keep us in decent salt balance. Goiters were not always rare, among the inland peoples, and the effects of landlocked diets on human development, including mental, have been marked enough to have become enshrined in folklore - "fish is brain food", that kind of aphorism.

But it doesn't have the implications. Humans have to practice almost anything, including their "inborn" and reflexive physical skills - a baby human can't scratch its ears or clap its hands without situational practice.

The natural walking motions and positions of most mammals will keep their heads above water - human babies that learn to swim before they can walk (the majority find it easy) are doing something unique to that situation.

There is no dividing line between the "learned" and the "natural" in humans - our nature is to find some things easier to learn than others. We're built for breath control and bouyancy and insulation in water - as well as bipedal wading, of course (about the only advantage a quadruped can initially gain by walking on its hind legs) - and behaviorally as well - we not only find swimming easy, but playing in the water really a lot of fun.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Seriously?

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So we're physiologically lazy. Babies come out with heads that are too big and we don't have much fur. Appendixes burst. People get hangnails. Humans a dozen different kinds of retarded. There would have to be a cladistic tree that placed us in heteroplasy with other aquatic organisms.

Oh, yes. Be afraid.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Some biologists I was working with once had a big buck use their mist net setup as a lunch counter - and he defended it, in the fall of the year with his horns grown. It got kind of tense, but the biologists had the advantage of numbers.

They did lose a few warblers, though. And a sapsucker, IIRC. And the net itself took a beating.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

And the deer ate.

And Nature chuckled, in her deep leafy hole in the forest, where the voice slurred, old and muddy.

And all was well.

13. toltec Registered Senior Member

Aquatic Ape theory hasn't really resurfaced. since the conclusive disproving of Savanna theory, it is the only theory around and having the most money spent of researching it.

David Atteborough is a huge advocate of the theory and explains the evidence for it here,

w w w.

bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/scarsofevolution.shtml

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Did you know a newborn baby can keep itself afloat if droped into water?

of course this could just be because of the ratio of body fat to water rather than proof that we are ment to be aquatic or semi aquatic

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That would be my bet. When they start doing an instinctual and successful dogpaddle, let me know.

16. siliconshrew Banned Banned

GeoffP
    "My point was that breath holding is instinctive for most mammals, except the really dumb ones."

But as Iceaura pointed out we have a dropped larynx. A feature common to marine mammals but not usually found in land mammals, including dogs.

"You can't use breath holding as a reason to conclude aquatic ape theory."

It is one of many peculiar physiological traits we have which would be useful in a semi-aquatic environment.

Q
    "No, babies can not automatically swim, that is BS, they will drown because they are unable to keep their nostrils above water."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Asguard
    "Did you know a newborn baby can keep itself afloat if droped into water? Ofcourse this could just be because of the ratio of body fat to water rather than proof that we are ment to be aquatic or semi aquatic"

Babies are not great swimmers but they know how to hold their breath and kick for the surface. They are also naturally buoyant. Ever wondered why human babies are so fat? Not only would this insulate a baby in water but it gives the toddler a better chance of survival if it doesn't sink like a stone. The parents might reach it before a shark or crocodile.

Other apes don't have fat babies.

Another physiological trait we have is bipedalism. Not like birds which have a balancing tail. Our heads are positioned directly over our spines allowing an erect posture. nly one other animal has this design. Not a mammal but a bird. A semi-aquatic bird. What a strange coincidence.

17. Bells Staff Member

Err no.

Drop a baby into a pool and unless it has been taught to swim, it will drown. The photos of babies underwater is very misleading. Those photos are taken of babies who have been taught to swim. And even they can drown without supervision. It's not that they will flail to the surface. The problem is that they have the inability to lift their heads out of the water and draw in a deep breath unless they have been taught to do so.

They might hold their breath for a few seconds, but after that, the baby will drown unless it is taken to the surface. And all humans are buoyant. A drowning person will flail at the surface of the water for a few seconds, up to a minute, before they sink to the bottom and drown.

18. Bells Staff Member

Maybe if you just asked instead of skirting the issues, things might be a bit more clear. Or you could simply just read what is written and comprehend it.. that would also be a lot easier.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oooh; problem is, I do understand the issues all too well, and a lot better than some. But no reason to get your shorts in a knot.

Silicon: a dropped larynx is, I admit, interesting. I'll look up prevalence in the rest of the Primates. But, however much better it might seem for us to have been aquatic, we have pretty strong proof of the Plains theory. I'd ascribe it to simple homoplastic convergence.

20. Bradley364 DIG HARD! Registered Senior Member

This is such a mind blowing and interesting subject, the more I read it, the more the pieces seem to fall into place, what needs to be finally proven false or proven is HOW and if humans can instinctively swim, perhaps it is truly learned...I mean most animals have to teach their young some things, or perhaps this instinct disappeared as humans migrated.

Regardless, I'll never approach my extreme love of seafood again, does any land animals have such a distinct taste for fish as humans do? Even though I avoid swimming, I'm not afraid of it, i want to swim, its just...a society thing, society changes the animal in us all.

21. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Really?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ogy.html?in_article_id=562236&in_page_id=1965

However... its not just in the water that they use "tools"
    http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070219/full/news070219-11.html

Why would the ancient primates have to hunt? I dont see that happening as well. Living in South Africa I know we have massive lightning storms here that often set the veldt on fire. I can imagine hungry apes eating some nice cooked game from those veldt fires..

22. Bells Staff Member

Sage advice you should adopt yourself dear.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to keep on hacking at my back with that little knife of yours, then go right ahead.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a little behind the information curve. The definitive DNA research discovered that the cetaceans are descended from hippopotamus-like creatures. That makes sense, some hippos swam all the way to the mouth of the river and kept going when they discovered how sweet life is for endothermic air-breathers in the water. Some taxonomists have already demoted cetaceans to a suborder of artiodactyls.
    I didn't mean to imply that I expected newborn babies to be able to swim or to do anything else. They are born with their brains extremely undeveloped compared to other mammals, in order for their heads to stay small enough to pass through the birth canal. I just meant I was surprised that young humans have to be taught to swim when for other mammals it's as natural as walking when they reach the right age.
    Dogs can breathe while they're swallowing. Humans can't.
    So perhaps that's the point. Swimming is a natural way of moving for quadrupeds. So as soon as human babies outgrow crawling on the floor and learn to walk bipedally, they've transcended the instinct that would have made swimming a natural motion.
    But we are the only ape that has that high ratio of fat to other tissue, i.e. the only ape that is buoyant, making swimming a relatively low-energy endeavor. We can float on our backs with our nostrils out of the water, like sea otter wannabes. Gorillas and orangutans can't do that.
    Most adult humans are naturally buoyant too. Although I suppose with the current diet craze some obsessed women have got their BMI so low that they'd sink in salt water.
    I would not call penguins "semi-aquatic." There should be a scale for adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle. Animals that cannot leave the water = 10. Animals that only come out to sleep and breed = 9. That makes whales = 10, penguins and seals = 9. (I guess, am I right in assuming that they can't sleep while floating?) Otters = 8, hippos = 7, polar bears = 6, elephants = 5, etc. Humans are about = 2, maybe our ancestors were higher.