Aquaman Crystal

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Kittamaru, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/10...-breathe-underwater-without-oxygen-tanks.html

This... sounds absolutely fantastic!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

What sort of contaainer for the crystals? How is oxygen gotten from the crystal to the persons nose or mouth?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I still like the rebreather type of scuba gear. It is much lighter than normal gear and you can stay down up to 6 hours without decompressing which is a real good thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Nice one!

Although the links do not appear to give details of the chemical structure of this material, I have found the abstract of their paper (or one of them), here: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2014/SC/C4SC01636J#!divAbstract

It is a complex organic material containing cobalt, and it seems nitrate anions are reversibly displaced by O2 in the process. There is also some kind of reversible hydration and dehydration associated with the process. A very clever piece of chemistry indeed.

8. forrest noble Registered Senior Member

Like you said, sounds FANTASTIC!

I expect one version of such a device could look like this:

From James Bond Thunderball

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/38435/thunderball-rebreather-s/

A longer lasting version could strap on the back like a scuba tank but be much lighter and not cumbersome. It would probably need a water circulation device of some kind to extract the most oxygen from the water, like gills. Such a device and material might result in a much less cumbersome re-breather. It might even last for days before needing to be serviced, refilled, resupplied, or replaced.

As for me, hours at a time would be long enough. I prefer my fish cooked, rather than live sushi, or filleted on site sushi.

If it were possible with such a device to continuously stay for many days at a time underwater, one could bring jerkies of various varieties for food, maybe eat seaweed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, and drink water from another small tank on one's back. But of course there would be the human excrement problem.

Maybe someday, if this pans out, there could be underwater resort and vacation cities . Of course the depth of such cities and diving would be limited the same as with scuba gear. The possibilities including medical applications and treatments, seem huge.

Possibly even Nobel-Prize worthy, if it works "like advertized." I would vote for it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014