Appeasement: Obama Accommodates Racist Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Guess What? Chicken Butt! (Something about cocks and asses goes here, too.)

Are you suggesting, then, that you're complaining about something you just randomly pulled out of your ass?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not clear, some of them are lunatics, some of them are just idiots, and some conservatives who are not stupid or lunatics just aren't aware that their movement is racist at it's core, probably due to some ideological blind spot, or they are sociopaths, or they just don't care, or they have adopted pseudoscientific arguments about race.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Don't get snared by the myopic left-right paradigm quicksand. It isn't deep enough to kill you, but it will significantly impede your journey.

People can say what they will about our last POTUS. All well and good. Didn't like the guy at all.
    That doesn't mean shite as far as the current administration is concerned. The lesser of two evils, and how lesser is debatable... does not make one good.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptySky Banned Banned

As I suggested, your point with regards to the presidency is mute.

Non sequitir. I said his father wasn't American and he lied about his history. Maybe you hate black people?

So if Obama lied that's O.K?

Oh you are. A common garden variety. All fear and accusations.

8. EmptySky Banned Banned

Actually, I'm arguing with someone who's up my ass.

I bend over backwards to challenge liberals with the truth... literally.

9. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

I'm asking your opinion.

My wife is black.

All politicians lie. Obama is one of the more honest ones.

I don't even think you know what liberal means. And stop projecting. Look yourself in the mirror one day or is it too painful?

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

What pseudoscientific argument about race? I see that this thread is about the birth certificate, his eligibility, yada yada. I don't see any racial or eugenic theories here, except perhaps from the people crying "racism". But that never seems to count.
    Accusing others of racism excessively is never judged to be bigoted, no matter how scarce or questionable the evidence provided.

And where do I sit on the spectrum? Racist, lunatic, both?

Yikes, that was actually a pretty good retort...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's all just a coincidence

I think part of the problem is that "racism" has long been a catch-all. Indeed, anti-Judaism has long been denounced as racism in the United States, even being rephrased to erase non-Jewish people from consideration as Semites.

But whether it's skin color, name, or perceived religion, the whole thing comes back to xenophobia.

Thus, a coincidental result:

President Obama, who just happens to be black, is expected to meet a higher standard.

President Obama, whose name just happens to not be traditionally American compared to a post-Irish knockoff like "McCain", or traditional post-Christian like "John" or "Sarah", is expected to meet a higher standard.

Obama's critics apparently believe that the only reason his supporters voted for him was a matter of skin color, as if we'd never had the chance to vote for a Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, or Carol Moseley-Braun before. That is, for Obama's critics, it couldn't possibly be that the president's supporters found him remotely qualified for the job.

One wonders why Obama's supporters would wonder about xenophobia. I mean, take the Wright controversy, for instance. It wasn't that Rev. Wright or President Obama are black. It was the horrible things Wright said. Which is exactly why a white preacher saying that God would reach his hand out against America for our failure to be bigoted enough, or another white preacher saying one of the nation's biggest natural tragedies in history was God's revenge for the nation not being bigoted enough, is completely irrelevant to whatever the black guy might have said.

When the different standards stop coinciding so neatly with the boundaries of xenophobia, people won't be so prone to wondering what role xenophobic bigotry plays in the manifestation of Obama's opposition.

But until then, as long as the Tea Party is going to keep that rhetoric, and as long as the GOP continues to pander to it, yeah, people are going to attribute that kind of racism to the people who foment and profit by it.

I know, I know. It's so unfair that we should assess American conservatives according to the merits of their conduct. The only just, intelligent thing to do is shut our mouths and believe everything they tell us.

12. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Jiminy fu***n xmas! Talk about putting words into someone's keyboard!

Has it ever occurred to any of the people crying "racist!" hither and thither over the birth certificate that maybe a motivation for questioning his background and qualifications might be that he's a Democrat, and they're a Republican, and it's just partisanship?

Or maybe they are an independent who doesn't like his policies, or the policies of the previous president?

Or maybe that, AND they think there is a legitimate issue?

I repeat, you guys gotta get a new trick. Everytime there is criticism of Obamassiah, with these people it's racism. No other reasoning or principle will suffice, it's just unbridled hatred of the black man.

Are you all that lame?

13. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Yes because Republicans have done an amazing job before Obama got into office *sigh*

Maybe. But why make outlandish and silly accusations instead of actually challenging his policies.

They need to rethink it then. There's no case.

Because racism doesn't exist. Are you blind? Do you want me to post some of the COUNTLESS pictures of these modern day Klan gatherings?

Personally I'm not crazy about Obama's presidency so far. He's way too soft. He should have fucking rammed changes through before the GOP took the house. I hope he'll get four more years. My guess is that the GOP will GIVE him that victory. Not because he's great or anything. But because the GOP is broken in two. One retard faction and one sort of reasonable faction. It'll be so hard to find a candidate that can manage to rally all of the GOP voters.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I've Seen That Movie, Too

Yeah. Catch up. That one's been on the record for a while:

"Race is absolutely not the motivation for opposition to Obama, but it is used by some as a tool in the fight against him ....

.... As I said, race is not the motivating factor, it's policy. But some ... will use any weapon at hand to stop Obama. Not because he's black, but because they believe he's going to destroy what they believe is unique about America.
    "

(Madanthonywayne, September, 2009)

See, it's Obama's fault for being black. If he wasn't black, then his good, decent, non-racist opponents wouldn't be forced to stoop to racism.

Can you tell, by the lines I'm reciting, that I've seen that movie, too?

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Try a criticism that isn't completely ignorant and we'll see.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Islamo-Manchurian Jewish Nazi-Pinko Kenyan Anti-Colonial Conspiracy Theory

You are, simply, Giambattista.

You know, what's funny about that complaint is that I never hear it from the people who are capable of coming up with a criticism of President Obama that isn't invested in ethnic or religious identity politics.

For instance, criticism of his terror detention policy. Or his lack of leadership in issues like health care or financial service reform. Or his broken promises to the LGBT community and other important liberal voting blocs.

These have nothing to do with his skin color, the phonetics of his name, or Islamo-Manchurian Candidate conspiracy theories.

And I'm sorry if it insults your intelligence that I should point out something so damnably obvious. But, you know, maybe it's time to get a new criticism that doesn't involve birth certificates or Kenyan anti-colonial Jewish-Nazi Communist conspiracy theories.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Americans have been suspicious of government since before we were even a nation. Many of the original settlers came here specifically to escape what they saw as an oppressive government. Our constitution was created specifically to protect us from government by limiting it's power. Indeed, our first attempt at establishing a government, the articles of confederation, failed because it was too weak (the central government lacked even the power of taxation). Furthermore, consider the second amendment, it is meant to serve as the final check upon government power. We have enshrined the right to bear arms in our constitution because we do not trust the government, any government.

President Ronald Reagan famously said, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'".

This suspicion of government perhaps causes many to believe any negative thing we hear about it. From Roswell, the Majestic 12, the Kennedy assassination, 9/11, even the Apollo program. Every major event in the US seems to give rise to conspiracy theories. We expect the worse from politicians and they rarely let us down.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Except when it's a Republican president or a conservative supreme court justice. Then their mistrust vanishes away in a puff of faith.

19. EmptySky Banned Banned

Like I said, all the evidence suggests that neither qualifications or intelligence are pre-requisites for becoming POTUS.

No black candidate is ever going to get near the White House on a right wing ticket, for obvious reasons. That only leaves one path, the liberal path, which as soon as Obama was on it all the doors began opening in the direction of the White House. Remember that the history of racial politics in the States is always one of whites giving ground, never the reverse. Blacks are in positions of power because primarily they serve the interests of the white liberal establishment, their achievements are secondary.

Congratulations. It doesn't follow from that claim, however, that you don't hate black people. There are plenty of examples in literature of blacks who are self-hating. That's if you are black, or maybe you're white and your wife is simply a badge of liberal prestige.

No, you have a naive view. Obama lies constantly just like the rest. It wouldn't surprise me if your view of Obama is still tinted by the concept of the Noble Savage. Bush was white, therefore he was allowed the leeway to be an ass hole and do what he wanted. Obama must conform to the exacting standards demanded by white liberalism of blacks, otherwise he's out on his ear.

Why hasn't he demanded slavery reparations for blacks? As a black man representing his own people he should have at least, err.... hang on.. scrub that. What am I thinking... representing his own people?

Too painful.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Most blacks think reparations are stupid. And there is plenty of opportunity for blacks in conservative politics, in fact it's much easier there for them since the cons really want to appear not racist. But they have to be even more radical than their non-black counterparts, in order to prove themselves. For instance Rice and Powell.

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

The more I think about this topic, the more I think that it would have been better to make it into a birthers-vs-Hawaii issue, rather than a birthers-vs-Obama issue. These guys are openly questioning the trustworthiness and legitimacy of the State of Hawaii - and the fact of their racism being so directed would be even worse for them, than having it pointed at the black President.

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I think you mistake the "seriousness" of that. It's what we call a "vanity campaign." And it's not his first run at such.

So he isn't serious as a candidate, but that doesn't necessarily make his supposed candidacy unserious as a political topic. It gets him press and a voice in the national political conversation, sharpens certain questions about who the GOP will nominate, etc.

Some reference to our national fixation with celebrity - even, debased manufactured celebrity - goes here...

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yeah, there's an important subtext here. The birther thing originated in the Clinton campaign - which was a pretty nasty affair all around. Then when it jumped the tracks into the GOP camp, the D's were initially happy to cultivate it (better to have the GOP talking about fringe lunacy in the run-up to 2010 elections, they figured). Eventually it took on more of a life of its own, and they lost their taste for it. So Obama's release of this document, and associated demands that we must get past silliness to do real work, need to be read as messages not only to the GOP, but also to the Democrats. There are a considerable number of Republicans that would prefer to deal with "serious" issues, than walk around with this albatross of idiocy around their necks, and this move is as much a concession to them, as it is a partisan maneuver.