Apollo- Greek God

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by Tristan, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Help me with a school project. Any info on greek gods would be appreciated. As you may have already figured, I'm doing Apollo. Help PLease.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ok, here's some info on Apollo (it's all from memory, so you may want to check up on this).

Apollo was the Greek god of prophecy, healing, music, archery and the arts. He was the son of Zeus and Leto and the twin of Artemis.

He was also seen as the sun god who rode his chariot across the sky each day. In the Illiad he sided with the Trojans.

He was one of the twelve Olympian gods, and it was thought that he had a serious nature, was proud and had a quick temper.

He was the patron of the famous Delphic oracle and I believe of the nine muses too.

He had many lovers, but not all of his endeavours ended in happiness. One of the most famous loves of Apollo was Hyacinth, the beautiful youth who was killed in an accident and died in Apollos arms.

He represented civillization, order and harmony. His symbols include the bow, the lyre and the laurel.

You could try looking him up on Encyclopedia Mythica for more info.

Io

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LeoDV Obstinate idiot Registered Senior Member

You're doing Appolo? Good choice, he was the fairest of all gods.

I consider myself some kind of a mythology buff, but I'm too lazy to give you a detailed thing on that God. I'll just give you a proverb : When in doubt, make a Google search

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2002
  8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's nothing that a little cut-n-paste wont cure

<b>Apollo</b>

One of the most important Olympian gods; son of Zeus and Leto, twin brother of Artemis. He was also called Delian from Delos, the island of his birth, and Pythian, from his killing of Python, the fabled serpent that guarded a shrine on the mountains of Parnassus. He was concerned with prophecy, medicine (he was the father of Asclepius), music and poetry (he was also the father of Orpheus and the patron of the Muses). He was associated with law, philosophy, and the arts. He sometimes gave the gift of prophecy to mortals whom he loved, such as the Trojan princess Cassandra. He was also a master archer and a fleet-footed athlete, credited with having been the first victor in the Olympic games. Some tales depict Apollo as pitiless and cruel. According to Homer's Iliad, Apollo answered the prayers of the priest Chryses to obtain the release of his daughter from the Greek general Agamemnon by shooting fiery, pestilence-carrying arrows into the Greek army. He also abducted and ravished the young Athenian princess Creusa and abandoned her and the child born to them.

9. Aphrodite The Goddess of Love Registered Senior Member

LeoDV

*You're doing Appolo? Good choice, he was the fairest of all gods.*
    Hey now....you don't want to make the goddess of love and beauty mad or she might smack you with an ugly stick. Gotta hate when that happens.

I like Apolo anton ohno

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Does he count as a god??

10. defenestrated Registered Member

really good info from everybody, except one thing: apollo was not the sun god, and he did not ride a chariot across the sky. that was...um, helios? somebody like that. he was the god of light, which is where the confusion arises from; he was also considered to be connected to justice.
    (i hate to be the nitpicker, but i don't want you getting a bad grade!)