Anyone Speak Norwegian?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by philipthegreat, Apr 4, 2010.

1. philipthegreat Registered Senior Member

I have always had an interest in the language, and im wondering if anyone here speaks it.
    If not, are there any good resources online to learn Norweigian?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darini Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I can say:

Haar du fisk?

And then answer myself by saying:

Nay, je haar ikke fisk.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Jeg har diaré...

I'm learning too. I recommend the Teach Yourself Norwegian set, that's what I'm using, don't know about online sources though...

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Oh

Go here, there's a norwegian forum where you can share vocabulary and shit...

www.unilang.org

9. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Har du ikke fisk? Det var trist.:bawl:

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Norwegians and Swedes (and Danes) can generallly understand each other pretty well after putting in a little effort. Sweden is a much bigger player in the world economy so it's probably a whole lot easier to find the resources to learn Swedish.

The differences are largely (although by no means entirely) phonetic. Once you've learned Swedish, turning it into Norwegian would probably be a little harder than turning Czech into Slovak, but a little easier than turning Spanish into Catalan.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You sure Fraggle? I've had a gander at Swedish and Bokmal for a book I'm writing (although, in point of fact, I can't use the frigging Bokmal, because that would make my life easier) and they don't seem too alike.

12. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Fraggle's right I can understand both Danish and swedish now. Swedish is easier phonetically since it's tone is closer to norweigan than danish, the danes sound like they swallow thier words before they get out. Written Danish is almost exactly the same as Norwegian usually with t, and k swapped out for d and g and therefor much easier to understand than swedish which has quite a few words not found in norweigan or danish.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Interesting. Oddly, I felt - from limited readings, admittedly - that I could phonetically bridge more easily from English to Bokmal than from Swedish to Bokmal.

14. alex sam Registered Member

no sorry