Anyone speak Irish Gaelic?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by skaught, Feb 16, 2010.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú?

I'm taking a class at a local community education to learn some Irish Gaelic. This is an astoundingly difficult language! I took 3 years of German in high school and breezed through it. I also taught myself some dutch in my senior year of high school and a few years after graduation. Also a breeze.

Irish is proving to be immensely difficult. Just want to know if anyone here might speak it and would be interested in helping me practice nd giving me some tips.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why? Wouldnt it make more sense to spend money on learning a language you will use?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

It was only 35 dollars for a year! And who says I wont use it? I have an interest in languages. No matter how "usefull" it may be.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

ok, so when do you see yourself using it?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Languages are fun. It's just interesting to see how one works, compared to your own. It teaches you a lot about psychology and sociology.

9. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Orleander, If you speak Gaelic and wish to contribute to my learning it, then you are welcome here.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Is it close to Pike'y? Can't understand this dude at work...

11. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Naw. Its very different from english. I learned German in high school, and I would have to say so far that German sounds more like english that Gaelic. I wonder if Fraggle rocker could elaborate. I actually don't know too much about the language. But a friend of mine is full blooded Irish and he wanted someone to take the class with him. As a language enthusiast, I jumped on the opportunity.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out Ebonics!:shrug: