Anyone Know How To Write Literature That Doesn't Suck?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Niudo, Jan 2, 2004.

1. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Sarge
    A genious that sparked with a homicidal flame that flickered with artistry.
    Our friend Shakespeare could make a girl's brain feel like genitals.

Exactly.

And for all you wannabes or those truly aspiring to be more than you are but stuck in a slump, I picture William himself taking your dead work in his hand and making out of your Caliban an arrogant nightengale.

I see him saying this very thing to your work that can't speak well right now:

"I pitied thee, took pains to make thee speak
    taught thee each hour one thing or another.
    When thou didst not, savage, know thine own meaning, but wouldst gabble like a thing most brutish...

I endowed thy purposes with words that made them known."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Hey, thanks truthseeker, its not often i manage to say things others find interesting and useful.

"If you sit down to paper and the silence is the only thing 'biting' you then you have no business calling yourself an artist. "

Nope. Thats just the bit in between when your productive and when your not. If i remember correctly, theres been plenty artists who had fallow seasons. You seem to be equating art with emotional outbursts, although I agree about the if your only doing it for the audience bit.
    Clearly we define courtesy call differently. Say, when you make something out of your artistry, I mean you, Gendanken, let us know. I want to see, and share it with some of my friends, at least the ones interested in art.

A friends artists statement:
    "It's time to give your body and your mind. "
    And another friends artistic statement can be found here:
    http://www.creative-ether.com/frameset.html
    under "statement"

Oh, and would you mind spelling my name right? I know most people havnt heard of guthrie as a name, but its not that hard to spell. Yet its amazing how many people think its spelt and pronounced with an f or two in the middle.

And Niudo, whats a despair factioner?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I'd love to have been there when the words "To be or not to be" sprung into his head and all the rest that followed. To see him rush to get it down in ink.

Did he ever get in a writers block?....Very likely he did.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

*shudders*
    I won't criticize you for liking Shakespeare. I'd just rather eat it than read it, which is an equally tedious experience.

The main thing that bothers me about Shakespeare is the little numbers indicating stanzas. They make things like concentration and motion forsaken.

8. Shmoo The CzarnaChapka Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about. You dislike Shapespeare because there are little numbers on the side of the page? Seriously? Perhaps you can't fully appreciate Shakespeare because you are not at a high enough reading level to understand it? The language is too confusing for you?

9. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Read back, shmoo, then youll see more.

Then for the SF writers out there, a tremendous link:
    http://www.sfwa.org/writing/
    has too much to read, almost. Much of it will also apply even if you dont write SF.

10. Shmoo The CzarnaChapka Registered Senior Member

Are you talking about the explanation of her being a female and thus lacking the earpiece to hear Shakespeare with? I read that, but it didn't seem possible because there are plenty of female fans of Shakespeare. Could you, I dont know, get a little more detailed about that? It sounds interesting.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I dont know, youll have to ask her. And Gendanken. I myself got put off Shakespeare at school, and cant be bothered going back to him right now. I thought the reasons made some sort of sense, but cant remember exactly what.

12. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

...I was kidding about the numbers... that's what I get for trying to be clever, right?

13. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

Despair factioner: member of the Despair Faction.

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Riiiight, but what in the world is the despair faction? Are they a segment of society who despair of everything?

Hey Gendy, some meat left on this topic after all!

15. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

16. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Ahhh, ok. never heard of them. They sound ok, i might like them.

17. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

It's good music.

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Speaking of quotes about art... that reminds me of one of my own. I wrote this in the end of a french composition...:
    "Mon art serait ma vie et ma vie serait mon art."

Which means in English (in case you don't know French...):
    "My art would be my life and my life would be my art."

The composition was about how would be my life if I would have born in another country... and I finished dreaming about a perfect life...

Far from what it is now...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In fact, if I would write a book about my life, it would be more melodramatic than a Mexican Soap Opera...

I wrote it wrong? I thought I had copied and pasted it to avoid mistakes... :/
    I'm sorry...

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I asked the magic ball if I'm a boy and it answered "could be"...

[jeopardy music in background]Peeeeeee! Wrong answer![/jeopardy music in background]

20. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

No no, you spelt it right, its gendanken didnt, Ill make sure i name guilty partys next time someone spells my name wrong.

AS for the 8 ball, looks like youve already seen the point of it.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

22. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Guthree:
    That's right Goothriee, but whatever morsel was left is slowly rotting now with this chitchat of AFI and ......Jeapordy questions. People always ruin things.

"Outburst" is your vocabulary.

I never said anthing about it being an outburst- I'm sure there are dry spells when nothing gets written or the pages yellow because they have not been touched, no one is immune to this. But only some- some- have a noise that plagues them eternally and it doesn't matter a fucking lick that there's no paper and pen around.

This is the mark of the true artist, a passion that never sleeps, always biting.

This is what you said:

"Actually, my muse losing is more to do with not having anything biting at me to be written just now"

You may be very talented and interesting, guthrie, and I may have to take back my assumptions of your shindigs being courtesy calls......but your passion sleeps.
    Just one thing though- its not only prose and musings I write about. The human brain fascinates me as does general science and language. I've been dissecting those fuckers for years now.

As for "making something" out of my artistry- Fat.Fucking.Chance.
    People no longer take to slippery things like philosophy or pscychology.

They like it fast and condensed.
    The tabloid.
    The digest.
    The drive-thru and the microwave. You like Sci-fi, yes? In that case, imagine those bloody proles in Bradbury's world reading my shit. My chances are as fat as they are.

Sarge:
    Not so fast. I'm picking up this scent of you only playing up your take on Shakespeare. For a man to call the bard a genius with words but then have this:

......said by the same man does not wash.

Niudo:
    Trifles tend to distract those not enamored.

This is not a slight, only an observation. You *are* a female.

Schmoo:
    And there are plenty of female fans of wrestling. So?

There are plenty that show up at the theater with their copies of "Hamlet" and plenty that can tell you of Desdemoda and what happened to her but few, FEW with the linguistic felicity and profundity, the tools of the trade to understand him. Drink him up without thinking.

I'm one of these few women.

Truthseeker:
    Blah.

Chiastic quotes have always come off as....lazy to me. Doesn't take much to think them up, buddy.
    Slap some shit down then take the first clause in the order of words, flip it and stick in it in the second clause.

It is not the men in my life, its the life in my men.
    Pleasure is sin and sin pleasure.

A monkey could do this.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

First of all, I didn't make it up, it just come up to me when I was writting how my life could be much better. Second, it takes a little bit more then just flipping the words. They might not come together very well...

And finally, I don't care wheter people like it or not. It was something that came up to my mind when I was dreaming to live in Swiztertland, taking pictures, painting, composing, travelling and having lots of kids. That's when I found out that life is an art and my art would be all my life... instead of worrying about a piece of crap that men call money...