Any RTS fans out there? You have to check this out!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Thor, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

hehe Avatars so you hunt for Beta MMOGs, so do I

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The reason i ask is because so far the AI in RTS games have been soo bad its almost pointless to play them. Take C&C survice the initial rush you win and Civ3 is a master cheater.

Avatar get Medieval Totalwar + viking invasion addon, i bet will you like it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

ok, thanx a lot for advices!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

The only thing that puts me off this game is the fact its warhammer, i prefer reality RTS games like the total war series or alien RTS games like x-com apocalypse or UFO aftermath.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

my two favourite settings until now are Dune 2000 and Starcraft Broodwar, though the latest C&C has been a lot of fun (monstly due to the graphics, though I had liked it more, if it had had Tiberian Sun units), but I long for sci-fi base buildings OR medievil castels like those of Stronghold, only I want them better.
    high fantasy setting isn't my fav

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

*adds Lemming3k to "The List"*

That's the only thing that's putting you off? The fact that they're using the most diverse and rich universe ever created for the basis of the saviour of all Real Time Strategy games is putting you off? You are certifiably insane!

Av - Generals is only good because it's so easy to mod. The coding for it is so easy I could do it. Hell, I did do it!

Sci-Fi is a much better setting for me. Who wants poncy French S&M guys wandering around bashing gnomes on the head anyway?

9. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Is this a good list or a bad list?
    Quite possably insane, but whats putting me off is the fantasy setting, i never got into the boardgame, and orcs fighting marines its kinda weird to me, i know the alien games are technically fantasy but they have a chance of one day being real so appeal to me, last time i checked orcs dont exist, and the marines would have us believe they dont either.

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Take a guess *loads gun*

Fantasy...uhm...I hate anything fantasy. This is Sci Fi...set in the 41st Millenium...

It's Orks!!! Space Orks at that, feral beasts that scavange the vasts depths of space stealing anything of value.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

still orcs

ok, space orcs with a letter "k"

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Orks with knobs I might add

Knobs being like harder than normal orks...I meant in battle...oh shit..digging a hole, digging a hole!

Still, the universe...dear grud the universe! It's so deep...so very deep. It puts Star Wars to shame. It predates Star Wars! Eat that! Ha!

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

feral beasts that scavange the vasts regions (depths) of Middle kingdom (space) stealing anything of value = orcs

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You know what av, you can *edit*ing bite me!

lol, seriously. Why the reference to middle kingdom. Orcs and goblins have been around for the best part A.D.! Warhammer 40,000 is a futuristic spin on the fantasy universe.

Space Marines = Noble Knights
    Imperial guard = Basic footsloggers/Militia
    Sisters of Battle = Nuns with guns
    Eldar = Elves
    Dark Eldar = Dark Elves
    Orks = Orcs
    Chaos = Chaos
    Tyranids = Huge bug type things that devour planets for resources
    Neocrons = Undead walking cyborgs (Undead)
    Tau = Blue ultra advance aliens
    Kroot = Bird like aliens

So there, a quick run down of the races in WH40k and what they're related to.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

that's the first thing that came to mind (middle kingdom from the film (I think) 10th Kingdom)
    and I'll still try out the game, despite it's fantasy creature premise.

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

10th kingdom was a mini-series wasn't it? The thing with the mirror in New York or something?

And blast you avater, BLAST YOU! It will appeal to you, oh yes, it will appeal. If you like Neocron, you must like this, I mean Neocron requires no taste!

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

yeah, the same, and they later traveled to that fantasy land through the mirror.
    the film was quite amusing and funny. I have it stashed on 5cd's somewhere near.
    --
    Neocron is a postapocaliptic earth with few remaining human populations, mutated animals and robots. And the setting is very cyberpunk.
    btw- would you consider to buy the new Neocron game? It will come out (the new pack with enchanted graphics, 1/2 new locations etc) smthime just before or after the summer solstice. I'm gona buy it.

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

WH40k is also very cyberpunk too. One of the main reasons I like it.

ANd yes, I probably will get it, only if I get to kill you or join you or whatever

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I checked out the screenshots. They actually look really interesting visually and strategically.

There are lots of pics of a single tank supported by some infantry. I can already fantasize about the strategic possibilties.

Mind you, I will probably be disappointed by the endresult.

And my laptop is most likely not powerful enough to play the game.

20. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

There is actually a limit to what units you can have on the battlefield. They've already put a limit on the number of tanks (to stop tank rushing) and they're doing a point system where each type of unit is worth a number of point. This will mean armies will be balanced and will introduce strategy where it has been lacking for so long

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm now downloading Dune 2000, you bastard! memories...
    but yeah, it's more interesting when there's a limit. Like in Starcraft and AoE

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Limits are good.

Tank rushes suck.

Enough one liners now.

23. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Im the opposite, unless its a sensible limit, 50 units in AOE was nothing, most games have limits though, cossacks was resonable with 8000 per map, much more possibilities and i like huge epic battles, requires more skill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.