Any RTS fans out there? You have to check this out!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Thor, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Well...this upcoming game has been tipped to be the savior of the RTS genre. High-res texturing, excellent close combat, customizable armies...and front line battles all the way!

If you haven't guessed what I'm talking about, it's the new game from the Warhammer 40,000 franchise; Dawn of War.

I've just downloaded an early gameplay video and I am amazed. I just saw a squad of Marines charge a bunch of evil Chaos guys then all of a sudden a Chaos Champion exploded releasing a Deamon from within knocking all the Marines to the ground. "Well, they're dead" I thought to myself...but NO! They got back onto their feet and carried on fighting.

Now I'm watching Orks charging the Marine frontline and all these massive Dreadnaughts (small mechs to the uneducated) grabbing these tiny little greenskins and crushing them with their claws, firing with their Assault Cannons (miniguns) and stamping them underfoot. All these little details are making this game near perfect.

What's also impressed me is that you can see where bullets have hit in the ground and armour. Not something you see every day in an RTS. And you can get really close up to the action.

It also boasts good A.I. that learns over time (good for skirmishes) and a huge multiplayer mode.

Also, you can customize various parts of your army from armour colour, name, insignia, rosters, etc.

Now for the surprising bit. It's from the same producer as the pitiful WH40k: Firewarrior. Another amazing thing is that it is being made by Relic...the makers of the Homeworld series!

How in the blue hell did Relic get on board with WH40k! HOW!

Anyway, it's the game of the moment for me and one of the biggest surprises of this years E3.

http://www.dawnofwargame.com/

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

XOOL
    when will it be released?!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Do you need a Hal 9000 to play it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Okay...lemme see...

There'll be a demo out in the near future.

It is penciled in as a possible Autumn (Fall) 2004 release.

As far as the specs required...I would take a stab and say a fairly powerful video card and at least 256mb of RAM. That's just a guess, I can't find anything about it.

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Duh, it was on the main page lol

9. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

you need a keyboard... how crappy, and a mouse to, that just sucks

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You would've thought they'd have it tapped straight into your brain by now

11. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

So you need 3 Pentiums. humm, i believe i can manage that.

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

the requirements are not that high.
    Perhaps I´ll look into the demo when I get one. The game sounds interesting.

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Damn straight it's interesting. The basis of the game has a deeper background then any other 'universe' ever (including Star Wars, Star Treks, etc)

14. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

that does not mean it will be good, i reserve my judge for when i see it, in the mean time i wait for "Total War : Rome"

15. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I saw it man, I saw it! I'm still shocked by what I saw. I'm a huge RTS fan and this is THE game I have been waiting for!

It's only early on but this game is awesome! And you can't do any wrong with Relic!

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

medieval total war is still the best game out there.

I would also like to see total war -rome

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Homoworld 1 was good and brought new twist to the genre, the spin offs that came after where just clones they had nothing new or remarkable.

but hey they have the entire warhammer 40K universe as a gamesetting, gues they only need to make the game

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

what did you see ???

edit:
    yea, i still play Medival it my favorit game, and the only one 1 still play this long after release

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I saw the E3 in-game footage/interview...I think I came in my pants...in fact I did!

19. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

i will definetely keep an eye out for this one! i havent gotten a good RTS since homeworld (before that was AoE)

RTS are in need of a saviour !

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

yeah! there's nothing like sending your minions er.. I mean troops! into missions codname "Certain death" or see your armies victorious. Ahh the bliss!
    I still play Starcraft now and then, also C&C or Dune. AoEII is great also! not to forget Civilization III and Alpha Centauri

21. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

for all you RTS fans, do you like the genre for its singleplayer or multiplayer side

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I've never had money to buy original games so I didn't have the luxory to multiplay.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but after the Neocron I can say that I very like multiplay, but! with rts it can be an exception maybe. I have a strategy to build immense numbers of troops. I like to build empires for which early attacks are not welcomed (hence a multiplay is a minus) and then just play with the enemy.
    But maybe when I have enough money I'll try multiplay rts. Until then it's mmorpg all the way when it counts for multiplayer

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

The multiplayer side. Only use the singleplayer as a practise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.