Any other Bjork fans in here?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by visceral_instinct, Sep 7, 2008.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

^^ I know, not what you'd expect Visceral the uncouth metal maiden to like

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyway. Anyone else into her music?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Not a fan. But she ain't bad.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Visceral......

You are ruining your image, BJork?? LOL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Bjork sounds like she's a perpetual state of vomiting.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Balls to my image!

I like Bjork.

'How could I be so immature, to think he could replace/The missing elements in me..' I love that song.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As a musician I appreciate her because she goes off in her own direction and doesn't follow the rut. Sometimes it works and I like a few of her songs well enough to keep them handy. But I have to admit that I don't find most of her stuff very enjoyable.

I liked that gigantic outrageous swan outfit she wore when she performed at the Oscars. Steve Martin was the MC that year and he said something like, "Oh am I lucky. I was going to wear MY swan outfit, but I changed my mind at the last minute."

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I'd love to go to one of her concerts.

I remember at a party, listening to Human Behaviour at about 120 decibels. It was 5am and I was pretty fucked from dancing in the nightclub for hours before, but that pounding bass made me come back to life. Ah, happy memories.

11. Fathoms Banned Banned

I don't listen to her that much but I really like that exotic pyschedilc element that is in a lot of her music.

12. LeotheLion Registered Senior Member

I always used to quite enjoy her stuff but never really considered myself to a fan but I saw her at Glastonbury a few years back & was completely gobsmacked by how amazing she was. So... yeah, now I am most definitely a fan.

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I like some of her stuff...I think she's totally kooky, but that helps with creativity and originality. Some of her stuff can be a little hard on the ears, when she goes to wailing...and can be a little too "experimental" for me. Hey, but I own a Bjork album.

14. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I like to listen to her as a break from the normal music I listen to. I really like the song Joga, Hyperballad, Bachelorette and Hunter. Lots of it is just weird though.

15. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

God damn it I hate that visceral likes bjork.

I love bjork. There's all the music I love, then there's an elite few artists who rise above it as shining beacons of genius, making the rest look like trivial crap.
    Bjork is one of those.
    Often I'll have music on random, and I'm really enjoying it, then a bjork song will come on, and after that everything is petty shit and I just have to listen to more bjork.
    I also like bjorks old band, the sugarcubes (although they could do without the talking euro loser).
    There's a few songs I don't like, but it's very rare for me to truely like more than one or 2 songs from any one artist, there's 1 or 2 bjork songs that fall a little flat, the rest are brilliant.

I admire things I couldn't have done myself, things I couldn't have thought of and feats I couldn't have achieved. Bjork's music definately ticks all the boxes in that category, I couldn't have thought of it, and I couldn't sing like her. I can't say this for most music in existence, most tv shows, most movies, most books.
    I think there's a whole different set of people out there who ONLY like stuff they could have done, stuff that is comfortably familiar to the person they are, like 20 something year old guys who ONLY listen to bands like the strokes and the killers because they imagine, correctly, that it just as easily could have been them, they fantasise about being in the band while listening to them, and staking their claim as a fan is, in a small way, joining the band. They don't like anything wierd or odd, because it's not what they would have or could have done.

I could never get into this mentality, it would be like paying someone to do your taxes that's worse at math than you are.
    Like we talk about bon jovi, perfect example, I could sing exactly like bon jovi, and worse than that, I could easily have come up with his horribly bland predictable songs, I just never would have thought something so dull would be worth sharing, so I didn't bother becoming bon jovi 20 years ago (when I was 5, I could have though).
    "I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride, I'm wanted, dead or alive"... duh, contrast that with "All these accidents, that happen, follow the dot, coincidence, makes sense, only with you, you don't have to speak, I feel. Emotional landscapes, they puzzle me, then the riddle gets solved, and you push me up to this state of emergency, how beautiful to be" ... wtf? Who would think to arrange those words in that way? That's amazing.

I want to be entertained by people who are different, offering me something I don't have, something that's not already in me.

Bjork is an alien freak of nature, she's brilliant, no element of anything bjork does was in me before I came across her, so I treasure absorbing what she provides. Bon jovi, and many way better bands than bon jovi, offer nothing but passing thoughts I already had which were boring when I had them.

You'd have to be a really dumb fat ugly welsh pig to like bon jovi.

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Bjork and Beck are among the very few true geniuses in popular music.

The pounding bass was probably a timpani.

17. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

lou, what do you think about Rancid?

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Hehe. I love to annoy you.

19. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Bjork is great.
    All must see the very strange Lars Von Trier
    Dancer in the Dark.
    Björk acts and sings and dance numbers are worked around her songs which she wrote for the film. The 'story' is odd and not so compelling but the song and dance, great.

20. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Rancid? As in ruby soho rancid? Why? I dunno, I don't go out of my way to like them or dislike them.
    I suppose in general I dislike the californian wave of punk, I think it really missed the point, but I don't know the small details of rancid, I litterally saw a couple of music videos in the mid 90s, that's where my relationship with them ends.

21. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

So your lack of artistic success is a choice? uuuuuhhh, right.

22. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

My current lack of artistic success, yeah. I could have made a shitty band that appealed to morons which I personally didn't like, I could be a shitty successfull stand up comedian, I could write shitty box office smash movies that make me throw up in my mouth while I write them, etc.
    I don't see how any of that would be hard at all.
    It's much harder to do something significant that you're proud of, something that resonates with learned critics. I might never do it due to how hard it is, whatever, there's a certain dignity in not being bon jovi which I'd like to maintain, at any expense.

23. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I like them a lot and I almost have difficulty lumping them in with the other punk acts, because they're so different. Like a lot of punk bands, their songs are really short, fast and rough sounding. The verses usually consist of the singer singing some a detailed story at breakneck speed while the choruses are infectious and easy to sing along too. It's kind of like a rollercoaster that's going really fast and feels like it could fall part and break into pieces at any time, but at the same time it's all very deliberate, under control and precise. A lot of that is because they're veterans and have been around for a long time, plus they have a fucking amazing bassist, Matt Freeman. That's probably a big reason I like them so much, since I'm a bassist myself and I admire that guy's skills so greatly.