Any Martial Artists Here?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Empty Dragon, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

TruthSeeker personal practice is the key for interrnal arts. The ancients used to train at least 3 hours a day. (So I have been told) I try to do the same. I train at sunrise, at work, at home and at class. Even If you don't have a teacher it doesn't mean you cannot advance in the art. Most of the really progress comes in personal training time. But you have been training for longer then me so forgive me if you understand this.

Avatar that fierce attack can last for a very long time if you do it right. When you tense your muscles that requires effort and it makes you tired very fast (Ei: 30 seconds). You can exert a more powerfull punch with out tensing your muscles. Tensing your muscles will also hold you back. If you are loose you can be lightning fast and will have alot more stamina. One of the points to the Taijiquan is to let go of the residual tension in the body. You learn in external arts to tense up when combat arises. The problem with that is you usually have the same reaction in none-martial situations(Ei: Fight with a spouse, bad day at work). You most likley will carry that response outside of the dojo. Not to mention the constant adrenaline that is used in external training will injure the adrenal glands. In the end such training injures your body. Protecting yourself from injury by injuring yourself?
    Back in my Tae Kwondo days I swear half of the people I trained with had to wear some kind of brace of some sort. Allot of the older guys just lost allot of there skill as they aged. It is common in external arts for a younger and more vigorous fighter to overcome an aged opponent, but in internal arts you can still be effective and productive untill your last days. Needless to say the old masters can kick the crap out of us young pups. When I think back at all the injuries from my external days it really makes me sad. I remember watching my old karate sensei struggling to do katas just hiding the pain in his nees. I used to to the same for a time my ankles where going. Enivitable the external art that brings you such you will be lost in the end. Internal arts will stay with you on your death bed. Internal arts allow you to lead a healthy active life where you still remain strong up in your 90's.
    As it should be in all arts we are not all built the same. Our fighting style will reflect the in core of owns being.

Allot of styles will be totaly agressive. They will take blows straight out on the arm. Why be so overly agressive? Yield and strike as needed. They not be both?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

my strategy is to disable an opponent before he has a time to think of how to strike me. simple really- that doesn't mean that I cant think then. And I always have good results, but as I said, I'm not allowed to do so in torunaments

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

can understand really- it's just a game and not a fight to death.

what do you exactly understand by internal art?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

About internal arts go back a page to read what Truth Seeker and I where talking about.

You train so you do not have to think. It becomes instant response. As well there are times where you just slow every thing down in your head, where a second is like a minute. In those cases you have ample time to "think". If your mind becomes clouded then you become easy prey. If you are going to bet it all on one strike be sure it is not a foolish strike. Patience is a virtue in life and in martial arts. Allot of those hard external strikes leave you off balance. If you are fighting a decent fighter he will see when you are of balance and that is a moment to strike. You lose your state of mind or your balance and your guard is dropped. You will be susceptible to thier attack.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'll take that to notice

8. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

I am interested to hear about this art of mind or if any one has interesting ideas about technique?

9. Cory Registered Senior Member

Sounds very vague and a little "new agey".

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  11. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah?? I know Woop-Yo-Ass, belt-style!!! Pootie Tang ain't got nothin' on me!!!

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think that it is no match for my slice-his-head-off style

13. Cory Registered Senior Member

"I DON"T KNOW KARATE - BUT I KNOW CA-RAZAY!"
    (yes we do) -James Brown

14. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

errr.... maybe you're right

15. Cory Registered Senior Member

Overall I heard that martial arts stuff doesn't even matter on the streets. If your up against some thug who gets into fights everday of his life he'll just ruthlessly beat the shit out of you.

16. Cory Registered Senior Member

Boxing is probably the best way to go if you're just looking to be a real hard-ass.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

actually no- in mixed tournaments boxers and also kickboxers get kicked hard by Taekwon-Do
    atleast in Latvia

box is too simple and unelastic

as regards the street- a .44 is more worth than 8 black belts in any martial arts
    martial arts is more for your body and mind, not protection from armed thugs

18. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Unless of course you can make Ki energy balls.

19. Cory Registered Senior Member

I can do that.

20. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

:bugeye: Then why do you ask for martial art advice. If you can do that you are way beyond me.

21. Cory Registered Senior Member

You're Right.
    I lied.

But since we're still on the topic I now remember seeing some educational show with this guy who was a martial artist and claimed to be able to form Ki Energy Balls. Now I barely remember the show but from what I recall if he hit you with one the opponent can become badly injured, be sick for days and have over all bad health. I'm surprised I even remember, I think the guy was american too.

22. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

I am going to be training with a Shaolin master who claims to be able to do it. He made a breeze between his hands....I guess time will tell.

But I have heard of many martial artists who had that ability. Ever heard of Ten Day Ma?

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Empty,

I don't have time left to that... besides, I've been finding very interesting Christian stuff lately... I found faith, and it is as hard as to be able to meditate perfectly, for years...

Ki energy balls... Actually, everyone does that. But to do that with lots of energy, enough to harm someone... well, then that's quite hard. I remember feeling those balls within my hands... mainly in the first movements.... But everything has to be in perfect position, you must be completly comfortable and you have to move with your center. If you don't pay attention to all that, you are not able to do the balls. You also have to be like willow flowing with the wind, and be like water, flowing naturally through a river. Not that easy, but if you are persistent and know very well the technique, you are able to do it. To get it strong, just practice. Lots of movement of the ki. With time it grows... My teacher says that once, he got someone and he flew away some meters and banged on the wall. Ouch...