Any Martial Artists Here?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Empty Dragon, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Anyone here a fellow martial artist? What style(s)?
    Does anyone here do the any of the internal arts Ei: Pa kua, Hsing-I, Taijiquan(Chen,Wu,Sun,Yang...), Internal Shaolin???

Anyone mind discussing the principles of thier art?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Avatar does TKD... he can tell you all about that

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

I used to do Tae Kwondo for about 8 years. Didn't like it. But then again my instructor was an anger filled psychopath. So that may have dampend the experience. Plus I really didn't like the belt system. You could pretty much buy your black belt. I really never saw much philosophy to the art he taugh mostly it was militaristic. Memorize and obey. Calling it an art is pretty subjective though it was mostly attack dog violence.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

It's IE not EI!!!!!!!!

ie.
    latin
    id est (that is)

8. ralph nader Banned Banned

I have studied Shotokan and TKD many years ago and am very interested in returning to it (or possibly exploring another artform). I found I really liked Shotokan more than TKD.

The major difference that I found was the use of more arm techniques along with sweeps and combinations. I would also say that Shotokan is more of a fluid form which teaches you to flow with the environment as compared to a block-strike approach. I found that TKD was pretty much a one or two strike style with a strong empahsis on leg/kicking techniques. Shotokan really allowed me to be more creative with a wide range of techniques.

I also must admit that my Shotokan Sensei was far more influential than the two TKD instuctors I worked with. He was more philosophical and taugh the meaning behind the form. It appeared to me that the TKD instructors were doing just that, instructing. Whereas my Shotokan Sensei was more of a mentor.

There are many good forums that can be found on the web. These are very serious as well as helpful. There will be no nonsense posts such as "Cheeze Whiz".

Let me know if you run across anything interesting. I have been exploring different posibilities

Nader

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I'm an expert in the ancient Scottish art of 'Fook Yu'

It's mainly just head butting people and kicking them while they're on the floor

10. Cory Registered Senior Member

I'm about to join a real Shaolin Kung-Fu Acedemy. I just need to decide what style I wish to learn. The choices are:

Long Fist

Tai Chi Chuan

Pa Kua Chuan

Hsing Yi Chuan

Chi Kung or Qi Gong

If anybody has any input let me know!

11. Cory Registered Senior Member

^That's an ass-whipp'in right there^

12. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

I took Tae-Kwon-Do for a while and my dad knows some Ketsugo, Ju-Jitsu, and Karate.

13. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

ROFLMAO!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Did enough striking arts (TKD and Karate) to know how to fight
    standing. Did enough grappling (Brazilian Jiu) to know how to
    fight on the ground. Did enough thinking to know that I won't
    be doing any fighting... rofl.

15. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Solidus, I tend to agree with you. I'm somewhat of a pacifist.

16. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

I almost want to get back into Martial Arts, but I don't have the time. *Looks at his bookshelf* Wait.... does anyone know if you can technically learn a Martial Art by reading and studying a book on it (pictures and all) ??

17. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I've kinda made up my own martial arts, my teacher, Jackie Chan videos...

...Y'all think I'm kidding don't you!!

Awoo, I've also dabbled in Judo, kickboxing and Kung Fu

18. Cory Registered Senior Member

Man I'm a pacifist to the extreme but just think you'll be getting healthy to and looking at those old kung-fu movies you'll be learning a beautiful art too. It looks more like they're dancing. The only thing you have to know is that it doesn't really make the cool sound effects.

19. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

.... nor do you can you fly for 20 feet while doing a "flying" jump-kick.

20. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Oh, I definately agree it's an artform, a beautiful one at that. Just not my area.

21. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

I'll just say right of the bat, I'm prettymuch 'obsessed' with martial arts.

I train full-time in Hapkido, am starting to in Ninjitsu, and I have some knowledge of Jeet Kune Do, Brazillian Ju-Jitsu, Kali - and many aspects of Judo and Tae Kwon Do are incorporated into my Hapkido training.

Admittedly, I don't go for the philosophical element of the arts at all - I go for the discipline, the full-body workout, and mental and muscle knowledge, and most importantly the fun.

The principles of the arts I study vary depending on which one you're talking about, and in what sense you mean 'principles'. Do you mean the fighting principles? The moral?

The principles I was looking for in the arts were discipline, hard-work, and real world practicality. And that's what I found.

-Distortion

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

no you can't
    I have tried that and my instructor has confirmed that that is impossible

btw- about TKD
    I went previously in the WTF (world tkd federation) and it sucked. There you could really buy a black belt.
    Though it is now very different at the ITF (international) club I now go. I pretty much like it there and it's really hard to get any belt higher than the 7 gup.
    and getting a black belt is really hard. What I know is that you of course have to hit through bricks, then you also have to block attacks without any protection for 6 min I think. 6 min and the attackers don't have any gloves or anything. So you can immagine that it is pretty hard

those who complain that there aren't any grabs or whatever - they are wrong , but you are tought them only after you get the red belt (just before the black)

But I know quite a some unallowed street hits

on the end note- never there is enough of just one style or art - you have to know many to survive - that's what my instructor said.
    I'm gona take up some other art simultaneously to TKD, which will remain my base

23. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

The simple answer is no. You can't, really. At best, they can be an excellent supplement and reference. There are many, many things in the martial arts you simply cannot get/learn from anything else but training. Feel, pain tolerance, learning something like tracking an opponent (only comes from sparing) and pressure points are another good example of something I don't think you could really learn no matter how many diagrams and pictures you were shown in a book. In Hapkido we use pressure points alot in assisting in joint manipulating and controling the opponent, and trust me when I tell you that you can't learn it from a book. Nor can you learn the discipline or sharpness that comes from regular training. And what I've said doesn't really scratch the surface of what you can't get from a book.

--

Avatar, as for your TKD training - I recommend for your 'supplimentary' art you take something grapple based. TKD is notorious for ignoring all of the ranges of fighting EXCEPT for relatively long range (point kick range) - if a guy jumps on you and your rolling on the ground with him will your training help you?

I've watched quite a few video clips where Tae Kwon Do guys look fine until they are taken down and you can imagine how it goes from there...

I would of course recommend either of the arts I take, as they are both very well rounded - Hapkido in particular which uses almost all of the kicks out of Tae Kwon Do, as well as including lots of short-range stuff and a decent amount of grappling. At higher levels there is also a bunch of weapons fighting.

What did you have in mind?

-Distortion