Any atheists here who were once believers?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by wegs, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No, part I made bold is well known to be false; however, depending upon precisely how you define "mind" I may (or may not) be able to experience my own mind.

It is a well known problem, called "the other minds" problem, to show that other minds even exist. In the literature on this problem a "philosophical zombie" or P-zombie for short is discussed. The p-zombie has no mind, no feelings, no "qualia" but to an external observer behaves exactly like a human who does have a mind, does. I.e. you press a hot cigarette against his arm he will pull it back, scream, possible slug you as hard as he can but feels no pain, by postulate about his nature. Point being pain (all "feelings) are subjective and not observable by others - only their "pain behavior" etc. is observable.

On (2): You seem to be confused. There is a huge difference between "observing" and "experiencing."* No-one, not "me" (and certainly not you) is observing the RTS I postulate is something like a non-deterministic analogue information process that mainly occurs my in parietal cortex. "I" am both experiencing parts of it and being created by it, but not "observing" it. My comments about the frontal lobes were just in recognition of the well established fact that "my" personality can be changed by cutting on that part of my brain. If you are old enough and did computer programing back when Fortran was a popular language, I tend to think of the parietal RTS making a "Fortran call" for information and or processes taking place in frontal lobe tissue.

* You experience pain; you do not "observe" it. There can be both: With my scientist's hat on I can observe water boils at less than 100C at Denver's altitude and also experience that my boiled egg took longer to cook there. I would tend to say: "You observe things with instruments and experience things by how they interact with your body," but some experiences are without any con-current external stimulus.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=18524

I encourage you to read the comments below the article. Flexibility in this context...it just doesn't work.
    Scripture contradicts evolution, not only in Genesis.

The problem I have is, you either accept the Bible as Truth (entirely), or you don't. You either accept evolution (without ''adding in'' religious dogma) or you don't.

The Catholic Church wants it both ways, and my question is...why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You can accept the Bible as a book written by man and not to be taken literally. That is one of the choices.

Regarding the Catholic Church...that's obvious

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They want to stay in power and maintain control just like any religious institution.

The biggest problem with Christianity is that they have the misfortune to have a holy book that isn't quite vague enough. If their holy book was the "Tao Te Ching" they would be home free

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol that's funny.

There was a time when the Catholic Church taught the Bible as literal truth, so it's just one of those curious things. The Church has always held a view that in order to follow Christianity, one doesn't need to ONLY follow the bible, as the Church has a lot of rituals and traditions that are celebrated outside the context of the Bible. But, there was a time it taught that the Bible is literally the Word of God.

Until mankind started answering some of its own scientific questions.

Then, suddenly, the Bible ...well, parts of it, were not to be taken literally.

This is why I respect Fundamentalists for they are steadfast in their faith, even if their beliefs are "unpopular." I don't value the Bible at all anymore, but Fundamentalist/Evangelicals value it as the Word of God and naturally, they can't and won't support evolution.

A Christian shouldn't have to excuse away its very own holy book to accept evolution. And that's what the Catholic Church has done.

I don't know why I went off on this tangent.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Haha...that's what we're here for

I hear where you are coming from but I don' really "respect" fundamentalist beliefs (I try to respect the people...I'm not always successful). It's not respect worthy (IMO) just because someone refuses to budge from his "faith" when that "faith" is stupid

We don't respect some nut job who believes that he was taken to a flying saucer by Martians just because he is unwavering in this recounting of the story. Why do it with fundamentalists?

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That's why I specifically stated fundamentalists not fundamentalISM. I don't value their beliefs, but I respect their tenacity to stay true to their faith, and not modify their beliefs and the definition of evolution in order to appear secularly popular. Thank you for following my ramblings and understanding. lol

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They are at least consistent and not too hypocritical.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Unless the religion specifically warns against that.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Oh, don't worry, Jan knows - or should know - what I'm talking about.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

While your molars rot! As usual.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Billy T,

In a philosophical discussion, I can understand this direction. But in the real world, in the here and now, you can experience your own mind, or at least you have no choice but to accept that what you are experiencing is your own mind.

Right now you are reading a response from me, to you, and while we cannot prove that either of us actually exist, we have to (and do) assume that we do.

Here is a basic definition of mind...

Who is it a problem to?

You are observing something because now you are explaining something other than your actual self (the person explaining). You cannot however explain you.
    Anything you observe, experience, or can explain, is separate to ''you''.

To somebody who has more control over their mind, they can observe and experience pain. For example some soldiers are trained to withstand pain, experienced proponents of transcendental meditation can train their mind to withstand pain. This is done by observing the pain .

Who is it that observes, who is it that experiences??

jan.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Wegs,

..are you going to respond to my last post to you?

jan.

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Out of curiosity, you say it is "clearly false" so presumably you can support this assertion?

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yes, I will reply to your last post, later today.

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Seattle,

The ''mile high club'' is man-made, but sexual intercourse isn't.
    Christianity may be ''man-made'', but ''religion'' isn't.

Do you think you would be here falsely claiming scientific knowledge as an atheist/agnostic pursuit/invention, if it weren't for these ''ignorant as a 2,000 year old man'' people?

jan.

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Seattle,

How do you ''try to respect the people''?

I can see why you don't respect him/her, because you've already labelled them a ''nutjob''.

Is he/her a ''nutjob'' because they claim to have been abducted, or or they so because they claim it was done ''by Martians'', or is it both?

If their account is unwavering, is that not a glimmer of light of possiblility they may experienced something that leads them to their claim? If not, why not?

Having not experienced their claim yourself, thereby having no way to verify whether it is truthful or not, for what reason do you label them a ''nutjob''?

Can you give an honest list of what would constitute evidence that such abductions may well have occurred (at least in the past), that would/could cause you to change your opinion of him/her (for starters)?

jan.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You have no clue what evolution says, hence you yourself are incapable of pointing out any flaws, which you have not done, but keep alluding. That is the dishonesty of believers like yourself who know nothing of science but pretend to know it's flaws. Pathetic.

Yet, it is obvious it is YOU who has no clue, but you'll sit there projecting your own ignorance onto others.

It's obvious who does and who doesn't understand evolution, Jan. You would know that if you actually understood it.

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Your dimwitted logic alludes to:

No “real scientist” rejects evolution because the very fact that he rejects evolution means he isn’t a “real scientist”, is circular.

If it applies to fully qualified scientists, then it must apply to everyone else, including me. Duh!

There's no reasoning with a dogmatist like like yourself. Happy grazing.

Bye!

jan.

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

We are talking about YOU, Jan. YOU have no clue about evolution or practically anything scientific. Your nose is buried so deep into your religion, you live in a complete fantasy world created by yourself. It would be so hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

That's the difference between you and many of us here who actually try to understand the world around us. The Bible is simply one book to read amongst many and it is easy for us to read it and move on, understanding only too well that it's just a book of myths and superstitions.

Dimwitted? Projecting again, Jan?

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Like I said;

Your dimwitted logic alludes to:

No “real scientist” rejects evolution because the very fact that he rejects evolution means he isn’t a “real scientist”, is circular.

If it applies to fully qualified scientists, then it must apply to everyone else, including me. Duh!

There's no reasoning with a dogmatist like like yourself. Happy grazing.

Bye!

jan.