Any Americans tired of getting shat on?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by weed_eater_guy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Heck, I'd be the first to tell you that we, Americans, can be royal SOBs sometimes. Most of us are downright ignorant too! Anyone heard the joke...

If you speak three languages, you're trilingual.
    If you speak two languages, you're bilingual.
    If you speak one language, you're an American.

It is so true you have no idea! Many people in Germany while I lived there knew enough english that American tourists could talk loud and slow in english to their heart's content! It's called a german-english dictionary, dipshits! At the very least, an American should have the common courtesy to learn "please" and "thank you" in the language of the country he or she is traveling, and that's the VERY LEAST.

Also, I hate that our election participation is something like 20% of the population or something like that. I'm not a huge fan of Bush either, but damnit, if the country hates him so bad, get out and VOTE. Oh, sorry, forgot, the two candidated he went against were both douchebags because the dems can't find a decent candidate if their familys' lives depended on it.

But yeah, if it's one thing I'm getting tired of, it's the cowboy stereotype. I was an "American cowboy" because I managed to start a charcoal grill fire, unlike the guy's wife who was trying to fan an ember with a dust pan... John Wayne, you've doomed us all!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

John99: "There is no denying that people outside U.S. can be very biased and close minded but that is kind of understandable and beyond the scope of this post."

Quotable, see? Si.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I agree with every point you made, but I think that the turnout in 2004 was about 60% of the people eligible to vote, much the same as the UK election in 2005. It's still poor.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

No it isn't....if people aren't interested in voting then they shouldn't be made to vote. When that happens whoever kisses the most babies and hands out the most freebies wins.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What Weed Eater Guy said, and I agree with him is that low turnouts in General elections are one reason why we get second rate people in power.
    I don't disagree with you either. Forcing people to use their democratic rights is not an answer.

9. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Was it really that high? Suprises me, thought it was a good bit lower than that.

I think more people might be willing to vote if we had some decent freakin candidates though, I could imagine alot of people being indifferent during the last two elections. First was the eco-nut-job vs. the guy who can't talk right, then it's Bush vs. anti-Bush, i mean where are the people who actually have mental faculty to lead? Perhaps smart people know better than to run for office?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Why not have more than 2 candidates? The French got to pick from 12 this year.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The French have Proportional representation, which roughly means that if you get 10% of the vote, you get 10% of the members of parliament. Most European countries have it.
    At least in the US you have two different parties to choose from. We have two main parties also , but you couldnt get a cigarette paper between their policies.

12. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

The only people that I, as an American and a West Point grad, am tired of being "shat" on by are fucking Republicans.

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Iraaaah!

k.

14. Willy Banned Banned

Could you guys spread the word a little more of how bad us Americans are?

Maybe then everyone would not want come to America so bad.

15. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I don't want to go there.

Most only go there because it's next door.

Check out London if you think your immigration is that bad.

Some days you could walk a mile and not see a white face.

16. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Oh, the horror!! You racist little punk.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

You mean Mexicans?

18. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Please explain how that statement makes me racist.

19. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Since I'm an ignorant foreigner - what about the Green Party and Libertarian Party and so on? Can't you vote for them?

20. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

You know, we could, but they get such a small vote it's seen as "throwing our vote away" in this country. There was a Simpsons cartoon poking fun at this point, some space aliens come down and assume the forms of Bill Clinton and Bob Dole during the '96 election, when people find out, they're like you have to vote for one of us, what are you going to do, vote for Nader! And thus, America votes for one of them, gets enslaved by space monsters, etc., etc. etc.

Honestly, I don't care how many parties we have and how different their opinions are, as long as they're not going after each other like little kids who both want their ways. The fact that we can't seem to get a good immigration bill in the bag is kind of a pretty dismal indication of this. So so what if we had a popular Green or Libertarian party, that'd be fine by me, but does this mean that the groups will cooperate for the country and not for themselves? Does this mean that criticism between the parties can be constructive and foster good, solid compromises for the betterment of the people, or would there still be ad campaigns with messages paralleling "Republican senator so-and-so likes to molest little boys! Democratic senator that-guy stands out as a man against boy molestation. I'm democratic senator that-guy, and I approved this message". I don't think so. Honestly, I just want some freakin cooperation in our government is all.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I don't hate all americans, just the right wing, god quoting rifle toting idiots who think the world is their playground.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does it change anything when the Democrats are in power? Money is as powerful a motivation as righteousness.

23. John99 Banned Banned

It is over, the best kept secret in the world is out.