Ants immune to microwaves?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Nasor, Mar 3, 2004.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

That does not mean it still can't absorb light. Take a florescent dye, we can make individual dye molecules only 1-2nm wide absorb 530nm light and emit light at even lower frequencies. The problem is strictly resolution in that one cannot resolve an object that is less then ½ the wave length of light being used, it can still absorb that light, but all you would see is a black spot no detail.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Of course your right, I don't know what I was thinking. I wonder what that means as far as the ants and microwaves are concerned.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. weebee Registered Senior Member

Its due to the microwave ‘design’ flaw of having cold and hot areas. As is the gap under the glass plate were cockroaches hide (ugh) ---from the newscientist.

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/article.jsp?id=lw594
    Questions & answers on everyday scientific phenomena

Them!

Question
    I have been amazed to see ants emerge seemingly unharmed after being zapped in the microwave, usually after hitching a ride on my coffee cup. They seem to run around quite happily while the microwave is in operation. How can they survive this onslaught?

Judith Kelly , Darwin, Northern Territory

The phenomenon that the ants take advantage of is that microwaves form standing waves within the oven cavity.

So in some places in the oven space, the energy density is very high, whereas in others it is very low. This is why most ovens have turntables to ensure that cooking food is heated evenly throughout.

This standing wave pattern can be observed by putting a static tray of marshmallows in the microwave, and heating for a while. The result will be a pattern of cooked and uncooked marshmallows. The standing wave pattern, however, varies according to the properties and position of any material within the oven, such as a cup of water.

The ant will experience this pattern as hot or cold regions within the oven and can thus locate the low-energy volumes. If the ant is in a high-field region, its high surface area to volume ratio allows it to cool down more quickly than a larger object while it searches for a cold spot.

It is a common myth that microwaves are too big to heat small objects. The fallacy of this has been demonstrated by chemists such as myself who employ microwave heating in their work. Certain types of catalyst consist of microwave-absorbing particles--typically of submicron size--dispersed throughout an inert support material. There is convincing evidence that microwaves are capable of heating only the tiny catalyst particles.

A. G. Whittaker , Heriot Borders

There is very little microwave energy near the metallic floor or walls of the oven. The electromagnetic fields of microwaves are "shorted" by the conducting metal, just as the amplitudes of waves in a skipping rope, swung by a child at one end but tied to a post at the other, are reduced to nothing at the post.

An ant crawling on the rope could ride out the motion near the post, but might be thrown off nearer the middle.

For a quick demonstration of this, place two pats of butter in a microwave in two polystyrene coffee cup bottoms, one resting on the floor, the other raised on an inverted glass tumbler. Be sure to place a cup of water in the microwave as well. On heating, the raised butter will melt long before the butter on the floor.

Charles Sawyer , Camptonville California

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think that might settle the issue, but I still wonder: do you observe the ants moving to specific areas in the microwave oven?

Not that I believe chitin is microwave reflective now that I think about it, chitin is most likely microwave invisible (like glass is to optical light) because I have cooked ticks to death… the real blotted grape size ones off the dog, and the blood inside them boils and explodes (what a cool and disgusting sight) they pop like cherry bombs!

8. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Another thing to consider... the cookies, which have a much greater water content than the ants were in there with the ants, thereby absorbing much more energy than the ants would by themselves.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This is what may happen if you keep microwaving the ants. A movie called "Them" was all about such an occurance happening.....beware!

10. sappvjfq Registered Member

I conducted research on microwaves.

The reason why ants aren't affected by microwaves is their small size. Microwave heating is a volumetric process, i.e. a small volume won't heat up. You could check this by placing a drop of water inside a microwave oven: It'll remain cold (unless the container itself heats up).

Good electrical conductors reflect microwaves (stealth planes are very efficient at absorbing microwave radiation produced by radars). Chitin fibres are a very poor conductor (10exp-6 S/cm compared to 10exp+5 S/cm for metals). A very large ant would thus cook inside a microwave oven.

One more thing, microwaves can't produce mutants. Only highly energetic ionizing electromagnetic waves (X-, alpha-, beta- and gamma-rays) can alter the genetic code.

11. hypatia Registered Senior Member

Re chitin, and small objects:

I microwaved a roach when I was a kid. It was completely oblivious to the effects of the microwaves. It was a pretty big roach, too.

They say cockroaches would be the only species to survive nuclear holocaust intact.

12. Imagine that - a world of roaches.

Still it'd be better than Birmingham

13. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I once had to kill a mouse that got caught in a trap.

A recieved a text from my friend asking whether I had done it. My reply was:

"20 seconds full power"

It was horrid. It was definatly dead. Steaming, a part of its legs had split open making an audible pop. It was really stiff as well, locked in this terrifying position with it's mouth open.

Luckily I put a plate on top of the bowl I did it in, to stop the mess, but the smell still lingered.

Ants on the other hand, I have little experiance with other than failed attemps with ammonia in the back yard.

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

You microwaved a mouse? Now that is a dumb idea...

Anyway, I always assumed that you can microwave anything that contains water, no matter the size (ok, the amount of water matters, but I think that you can microwave every living organism).

So, I would assume that you can kill ants with it, given enough time. I do not think that they are immune.

15. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I wonder what the experience would be if a human were put into a microwave. A horrible thing, Im sure. Lots of burning... that would suck.

16. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

That would suck. Your eyes... would.. ewww, nasty. Hopefully your brain would denature pretty quickly.

17. pds314 Registered Member

The sugar ant that I tested was immobilized from the neck down within 10 seconds.

and dead as a door-nail within an additional 15, at most.

It made no attempt to escape heat zones. It hardly had time. Within 5 seconds it was paralyzed.

Sugar ant was tested alone on a plate.

Seems they don't always withstand the microwave test.
    Maybe I need a microwave gun or something instead of ant-poison traps.

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Whoa, nine-year-old thread! Look at me, I haven't changed a bit

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Did you ever have any trouble with giant ants coming back to get you, Nasor?