Anti-Vaccination Groups Honing in on New Mysterious Illness

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Trooper, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Mysterious Illness Hits New York Kids, Covered Up By HIPPA Privacy Rule 2012

12 girls at same school exhibiting Tourette-like symptoms.

Here we go again with the anti-vaccine crap. This is good example of how the media circus can bring out this fear mongering nonsense from the anti-vaccination groups. Twelve girls are sick. So of course, they’re trying to blame it on the Gardasil vaccine.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Do you remember Michele Bachmann’s remark? “The problem is, again, a little girl doesn’t get a do-over: once they have that vaccination in their body, once it causes its damage, that little girl doesn’t have a chance to go back.”

This doctor believes that it’s a pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections (PANDAS), which makes perfect sense. The only other differential that I could find was allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, but that wouldn’t cause tourette-like symptoms in twelve girls all at once. I agree with this doctor but we'll see.

Doctor Predicts PANDAS Syndrome in NY Mystery Illness

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RichW9090 Evolutionist Registered Senior Member

If they could, that would be one thing. But they can't - there is absolutely no evidence that water has any such memory, and homeopathic medicines have been shown again and again to have absolutely no therapeutic effect.

Rich

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Imperfectionist Pope Humanzee the First Registered Senior Member

THe girls probably thought it would be funny to say bad wrds in public.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

8. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Notice in the bottom of your image there, it mentions that the usage commentators all think that "hone in" is improper.

11. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Related facts:

It seems this was reported a couple of weeks ago in LeRoy, New York and is still in the news. Parents in the community are blaming the patient privacy law. They say it obstructs their access to information.

The NY state health department, NIH, and privately hired physicians are investigating.

A 1970 toxic spill in the area was mentioned, a possible transmission through the local food (to an outsider) and injuries from headbanging (for at least one of them).

A 2002 case in North Carolina among 10 girls was attributed to psychologcal causes.

NIH said it is extremely interested in conversion disorder (mass hysteria).

Almost all of the cases are teenage girls.

12. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Yeah - they don't like it, but it's in the lexicon? :bugeye:

I was looking for George Bush's use of the term, and was surprised to find it in the dictionary at all.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yeah, seems that these online dictionaries are all run by descriptivists, so they tend to cave in and include anything that gets used often enough, even when it's clearly a silly corruption that has propagated.

I just don't get why people say it in the first place. "Home in" means exactly what you want to say, while "hone in" is nonsense, so... WTF?

14. RichW9090 Evolutionist Registered Senior Member

Female hysteria, pure and simple.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

"Hone" means to sharpen or intensify, so "hone in" means get something in sharper focus or examine it more intensely.

16. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

Hone in ...

... and although the OP quotes the title of the video correctly, the law is actually called "HIPAA" — the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

17. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Jesus Christ, if you’re so into grammatical errors, by all means, follow me.

I just copied the link. So be it…HIPAA, then. What is the final verdict? Is it home or hone?

School Baffled by 12 Girls' Mystery Symptoms

I noticed that Erin Brockovich has stepped in to investigate. In one report, they stated that most of the girls did not even get the HPV vaccine Gardasil.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/152686/37/Brockovich-Gibbs-Looking-into-Mystery-Illness-in-LeRoy
    http://www.site.neurokidsr.us/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANDAS

18. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

To home is to go toward a target. Home in is just another form of the phrase. Ex: The missile homed in on the tank by following the laser reflection.

19. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Hello again, NA, Grumpy, everyone.

All I can do in answer to your question about Home and Hone usages/understandings etc is to give my longstanding 'understandings' regarding the different implications of the words/phrases. Not to deny, though, that changing usages in such a 'living' dynamic language/lexicon like English will inevitably have the last word when the usage/understandings have evolved and ingrained themselves so much that the new usages are included as 'optional' expressions' etc.

Anyhow, for the moment, and as far as I understand/use it myself....

The phrase to 'home in' implies activity which aims to reach a certain target (as Grumpy just exampled), but the phrase itself does not specify the PROCESS by which that 'homing in' is achieved.

In Grumpy's example, that would be achieved VIA a electronic radar/sonar etc 'ranging' processes.

In the case where someone is trying to 'home in' on some underlying surface finish/feature (in a car cylinder for example), the 'homing in' on that desired end-state is achieved by mechanical 'honing processes' which grind away layers until the target 'finish' or surface condition is reached.

So in short, 'Homing' is the aim; 'Homing in' is the description of what you are engaged in doing 'electronically' or in some other 'abstract temporal' or 'intellectual' way etc; and 'HONING in' is an ACTUAL PROCESS by which the aim and the activity is being physically achieved/realised OR by which the FACILITY/CAPABILITY etc for achieving same is 'sharpened/improved' etc.

The 'homing' aspect is more 'abstract/temporal/intellectual' in nature; whereas the 'honing' aspect is more 'physical/spatial' in nature and which sometimes can be used to indicate an 'abstract aim' like sharpening one's senses/skills etc. Much like the similar nuances/differences that are implied by the terms 'Continuous' and Contiguous' (where the former may imply ANY continuity of any 'range', even in an abstract temporal sense; while the latter is STRICTLY used in a spatio-geometric sense).

Very 'fluid' area, English usage/definition, isn't it?

That's all I can offer you, NA. I hope it has helped at least a little bit? Cheers NA, Grumpy, all.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  20. river

this all seems to stem from trust

we just can't get any sense of trust because for the every-day person , we just don't have the depth of knowledge to evaluate , reasonably , do we ? we don't

its a shame really , Humanity can't rely on , those in the know , to give the truth , to those who can never know better , not because of smarts , but because of time

there is simply no way that every Human can on this planet can know everything or ology at all times , always

we don't have that kind of memory or time

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Perhaps. However, when you have a single rouge individual like that lying doctor who created the whole vaccine scare VERSUS the rest of the medical community, it's certainly unwise to follow the single quack as all these anti-vaccination idiots have done! Their minds are already made up, don't try to confuse them with REAL facts.

22. river

but how as an everyday intelligent person able to gather all the REAL facts , I mean really , who can ?

we as the everyday person HAS TO RELY on the profession of such and such to give a sound evaluation of the knowledge in this discipline

can we do this ? rely

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I certainly see what you're getting at but you're also being silly by carrying on this point. :bugeye: None of us can be experts at everything - so of course we have to rely on the professionals. :shrug: