Another Steady State Universe Theory

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by steadystate, Nov 30, 1999.

1. bigjnorman Registered Senior Member

infinity

I was taught that there were levels of infinity.

ex) the set of all even numbers Vs. the set of all even and odd numbers

I believe hawkings predictions are right when he says that the universe is spatially finite but has no boundaries. he calls it the "no boundary proposal"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil Registered Member

To be able to create a theory of the universe we must first define what a universe is and what it encompasses. We seem to not consider an area that does not have matter existing......but it exists as a space and is therefore a part of the "whole picture" of a universe that encompasses ALL 'area'. Thus, infinity. Both in time and space.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neil Registered Member

The idea that the universe has a boundary implies that it is a boundary between the universe and something else (even if it is absence of anything). the boundary has a physical location and thus beyond the boundary has a physical location, thus beyond the boundary "exists". Therefore the universe and 'beyond the boundary' are part of an overall universe. I define the universe the sum of all that exists. Sigma equals Infinity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.